• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska Credit Card

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
The "catch" to the companion fare is that you do pay the same taxes associated with the regular fare. When we use the companion fare to Hawaii, we usually pay about $100.00 in taxes making the the ticket around $200.00.

Still a good deal.

This is exactly what we did for our trip to Hawaii last month. For me it was a work trip and the ticket MKE to HNL was $775. Used the companion fare for my DH to join me; it cost $170 for him.

It was a great deal for us and went smoothly.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the article also links to the old standby of pretending to book a ticket, and then punching out of the process once you receive the link for the card + $100 credit.

Either way, this is the best ongoing promo I know of with the card. I have seen flight attendants provide other bonuses in flight, but obviously YMMV.

-ryan

On our recent flight(s) they were only offering 1,000 bonus miles to sign up (in addition to the standard 25k).

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For those considering from the Midwest Region, however, be aware that there are not many flight options out of your city to connect with Alaska at their hub (Seattle).

For us here in Milwaukee, just one each direction with their partner airline.

When we first booked our tickets to Hawaii via Seattle, it was all good with the connection. However, with a schedule change between MKE and Seattle a couple of months later, we had a missed connection, which resulted in having to overnight in Seattle.

Alaska Air was great about it and us up for the night, but it required us either (1) flying out of MKE a day earlier, or (2) arriving to Honolulu a day later. Both were inconvenient options, but we weren't going to lose a day in Hawaii!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For those considering from the Midwest Region, however, be aware that there are not many flight options out of your city to connect with Alaska at their hub (Seattle).

For us here in Milwaukee, just one each direction with their partner airline.
The companion fare tickets are not usable on Alaska partners. All flights on the itinerary must be operated by Alaska/Horizon.

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Eugene and use Alaska almost exclusively. We use an Alaska CC and have been very happy with it for almost 20 years.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The companion fare tickets are not usable on Alaska partners. All flights on the itinerary must be operated by Alaska/Horizon.

Horizon *is* the partner airline that flies in/out of Milwaukee.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hawaiian also has great airfares out of the west coast, but the companion pass for Alaska beats Hawaiian for total out-of-pocket cost.

Rick is sitting next to me right now, and he wants me to say this: "The companion pass as it was before spoiled us immensely. We flew First Class with the companion pass twice per year, and now we have to fly First Class and pay miles and full price cash because how could we go back to coach after that First Class service for all of those years?"

Like he said! :D

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Horizon *is* the partner airline that flies in/out of Milwaukee.

Yep. Horizon counts as Alaska metal, so the companion fare is good. The flights that it can't be used on are codeshares, where a carrier other than Alaska/Horizon operates the route.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
just booked

At my suggestion Bro in law and Sis in Law both got Alaska CC. Just helped them book HNL companion fares from PDX, each took a grandchild, and then each used their signup 25000 miles to book their son, one over, one back. The The other two in the group booked at full fare.

So son booked at no cost, 4 at average of $388 each, and final two for full $580 each.

Just as a hint, if you happen to do this, use 2 devices to book simultaneously so you can pick adjacent seats at the same time.

We did the same last year going to KOA.

We use Alaska for all purchases, and I got a business card to use exclusively for my business, receiving another 25000 miles, another companion fare and it's linked to my existing account.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Your companion pass code will be in your Alaska account, not the Bank of America account. You just check under discount codes after you log in and go to your account on Alaska. It doesn't take long to appear. Our codes are no longer used. I cancelled Rick's account and am probably going to cancel mine as well.

This isn't like US Airways' companion pass restrictions. Any economy seats are good, and they are good at any time. Such a great deal.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We had such a great experience flying Oakland to Kona that we're thinking we will fly Alaska more often, especially since we found we can use them to fly Albuquerque to Vancouver, BC. So I'm thinking applying for their credit card would be a good idea. :D Does anyone know if foreign transaction fees apply with this card?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We had such a great experience flying Oakland to Kona that we're thinking we will fly Alaska more often, especially since we found we can use them to fly Albuquerque to Vancouver, BC. So I'm thinking applying for their credit card would be a good idea. :D Does anyone know if foreign transaction fees apply with this card?

When you go the Alaska website, the fares are in $US (at least as a US resident; perhaps it's different in C-eh-n-eh-d-eh). So if you are in the US (in New Mexico), where would there be a foreign transaction fee? When we fly from to Mexico on Alaska, there's never a foreign transaction fee.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One important thing to note is that if you make a reservation using the companion fare and you later change the reservation, be sure to contact reservations by telephone to be sure that you are issued a new companion fare discount code. If you do the transaction entirely on line, you might forfeit the code.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When you go the Alaska website, the fares are in $US (at least as a US resident; perhaps it's different in C-eh-n-eh-d-eh). So if you are in the US (in New Mexico), where would there be a foreign transaction fee? When we fly from to Mexico on Alaska, there's never a foreign transaction fee.

What I'm asking is, if I use the credit card outside the US, like in Canada, will there be a foreign fee. I found the information by checking the fees for the card. There is a foreign fee.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What I'm asking is, if I use the credit card outside the US, like in Canada, will there be a foreign fee. I found the information by checking the fees for the card. There is a foreign fee.
Ah, I understand now. Yes - foreign transactions fees are charged made in foreign currencies.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ah, I understand now. Yes - foreign transactions fees are charged made in foreign currencies.

I was looking to possibly replace my Capital One card, which doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. But since it also doesn't have a yearly fee I'll just continue to use it when traveling outside the U.S. and get the Alaska card as well.

Last edited:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my Alaska Credit Card, do they send you the companion fare information on do you have to go on line to your credit card or Alaska Air Account to get it?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my Alaska Credit Card, do they send you the companion fare information on do you have to go on line to your credit card or Alaska Air Account to get it?

It's in your Alaska Air Miles account under discount codes.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

It's located where Presley said, but if you just received your card the discount code may not be there yet. Mine took a week or two to show up, IIRC. I was anxious to use it and I believe that I called Alaska customer service and they told me that it was a BofA thing and that they couldn't expedite anything on their end.