• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airport to Grand Waikikian transportation ?

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a family of 5. I do not want to rent a van for this trip. What is the best way to get to the GW from the airport? Normal taxis are too small for the family and luggage. Any shuttle or van service suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Uber. Coupon for first use. Suv or van

Sent from my Kindle...pls forgive errors and brevity

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Charleys has town cars and minivans, flat rate to HHV is $29, ono.

http://charleystaxi.com/

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We used a Limo for our trip earlier this month. Certainly not the lowest cost option, but i wanted to surprise my wife, and it was great experience overall.

There are probably lots to choose from, but I used ABC Limo..

www.abclimosvc.com

We used Charley's taxi or Uber for our other trips out an about.

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was there a lot of uber cars around? Short wait times? I know they do not pick up at airport but wondering if they are the best option for my trip to fireworks on July 4th and Pearl Harbor.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Was there a lot of uber cars around? Short wait times? I know they do not pick up at airport but wondering if they are the best option for my trip to fireworks on July 4th and Pearl Harbor.

The best place to watch the 4th of July fireworks is at HHV.
Just in case you don't know it's going to be a mob scene on the 4th.

Ala Moana Center's annual 4th of July fireworks brings the crowds into Waikiki.

I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village during the 4th of July in 2009. We enjoyed the 4th of July fireworks but I didn't enjoy the crowds at all especially on the 4th of July. I've never seen it so crowded.

From an old article at khon2.com
As always, Ala Moana Center will bring in live entertainment for the day, to entice the crowd to shop at the mall. But it's not just merchants in the mall who benefit from the fireworks display.

"Surrounding hotels are literally sold out a year before. They're selling their hotel rooms at rack rate which is basically top dollar, surrounding restaurants, the cruise ships, the the different ferries and such that have the dinner cruises," said Tso.

Some 50 thousand people are expected to watch the show from Ala Moana Park, the mall and surrounding areas. It was just recognized as one of the country's 10 best by Travel and Leisure Magazine, which was news to Souza and her busy crew.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Uber in HNL is not like Uber in the states....at least not last time. They have the scheduled Uber including SUV's and minivans etc....

the coupon (first use) is the only thing that makes it cheaper. Uber X I think they call it.

good luck. We ended up on a shuttle....can't remember the name, maybe Mikes?

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I did hear the 4th is a going to be crazy. Outside of normal summer crowds, how were the other days around the 4th? We are at GW the 3rd to the 8th then we are going to the big island on the 8th for less noise.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the feedback. I did hear the 4th is a going to be crazy. Outside of normal summer crowds, how were the other days around the 4th? We are at GW the 3rd to the 8th then we are going to the big island on the 8th for less noise.

I've only experienced the 4th of July at HHV once back in 2009. It was on a Saturday as well. The weekend was extremely crowded and the 4th was a mob scene especially at HHV. Once Monday came around things were back to normal in Waikiki.

I would avoid Pearl Harbor that weekend and wait until Monday or later. Order your Pearl Harbor tickets ahead of time if you can otherwise try to arrive as soon as they open. I recommend the audio tour and a visit to the Battleship Missouri while you're there.
http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm (read the strict security section as well)

I would also avoid driving on the 4th and do something in the area to avoid the traffic around Waikiki. We actually took a cab to the Waikiki Aquarium in the morning and walked back to the hotel stopping off at the Cheesecake Factory for a late lunch (off hour). Crowds were up and down the park areas near the beach. HHV was overrun with folks.

On the evening of the 4th, we sat on the beach in front of the rainbow tower to watch the fireworks off Magic Island.
Here are my 4th of July firework photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157620863888111

Info on last year's firework show
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/festivals/a/ala-moana-center-fourth-of-july.htm
http://khon2.com/2014/06/29/public-allowed-overnight-access-to-park-for-4th-of-july-holiday/
http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs...30/hawaii_fourth_of_july_fireworks_shows_2014

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

We used Uber a few times around the city, not from the airport. They were pretty quick, but it did seem like they had surge pricing in effect more often than here in the SF bay area. I mostly used them when i was in areas without a taxi pickup area.

marpau

Reaction score
We only use ABC Limo

We never use anybody except Melvin at ABC Limo. His service is always wonderful. You can also get beautiful leis and a small gift (we always get the chocolate covered macadamia nuts) as part of a package. We have had 5 people plus luggage and it was great!!

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back. Thanks for all your help. Melvin at ABC limo was great! We used Uber when we needed transportation around the city and rented a one day car rental at the Hyatt for our trip to Pearl Harbor and North Shore. I also rented a car one day for Lanikai Beach since Uber told me they did not have a lot of drivers on the South side of the island.
a8d3e8550ce769085c4d5f6af5df2feb.jpg

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgot to say - July 4th was crazy at HHV as stated but things cleared up the next day. The fireworks were great. I regret not getting great pictures showing off the fireworks.

Thanks for the advice to get Pearl Harbor tickets months earlier. I heard same day tickets my day (5th of July) were gone in minutes due to the 4th crowds.
df673f3adc1996bb9ce5fcbc6c5f6dcc.jpg
689c86ed38e5716d4804f1f184dbcfd9.jpg