• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC for International Owners ?

Wings2812

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm an owner of Worldmark in Australia and my family (four of us) have enjoyed trading to the US many times - through them and utilising both II and RCI.

I'm interested in more certainty, trading power and quality of resorts/bookings and so are thinking about buying HGVC via resale. We are looking at Hawaii, and are thinking Platinum with around 7000 points. I'd be interested in any opinion as to :

i. Is there any restriction on international owners buying into HGVC ?

ii. Any difference applied to them once they become owners (such as fees or booking windows) ?

iii. What HGVC resort would be recommended considering prices and that we are a long way from every HGVC resort (whether it be Hawaii, Las Vegas or Orlando) ! We were thinking that we would happy to pay a higher premium for say HGVC Waikoloa given we'd probably go to Hawaii more times (but I read other HGVC resorts such as LV or Orlando would be more cost effective with lower management fees).

Whist a disadvantage from Australia is the distance (and airfare), one advantage is that we do have different school holiday seasons throughout the year and so many times we can come across in less peak seasons.

Many thanks in advance - TUG help and information is invaluable and very much appreciated here in Australia ! Thank you

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
i. Is there any restriction on international owners buying into HGVC ?

No. Many for'ners buy into HGVC.
With the HHonors tie-in and the option of converting points (b4 January 1st of the year), you'll have better access to H-Hotels world-wide.

ii. Any difference applied to them once they become owners (such as fees or booking windows) ?

Aside from $40 more in annual dues, it makes no difference.

iii. What HGVC resort would be recommended considering prices and that we are a long way from every HGVC resort (whether it be Hawaii, Las Vegas or Orlando) !

Hawaii maintenance fees are higher than Las Vegas or Orlando resorts, but some folks will buy there becuz you get a 12-month reservation window for your home resort, and only a 9-month window for every other resort. Hawaii is sometimes difficult to book, so if specific dates are important to you, having that extra 3 months will help.

But if you are flexible about where or when you go, and willing to wait until 9 months out, then you may as well buy where MF's are lowest -- Las Vegas or Orlando. "Points are points,' and many HGVC owners never darken the doors of their home resort.

Last edited:

slow_down

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to HGVC

The only difference I am aware of is the annual club dues. They are $99 for US members and $139 for international members.

Hope this helps :)

koruman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Australia too (on the Gold Coast).

Three years ago I wanted to buy a Hawaiian timeshare, and I ended up choosing the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas (North) and it has been a wonderful purchase. You can get great ocean view 2 bedroom units on the resale market, the only problem is that the maintenance fees have doubled in three years.

Hawaii is a great timeshare buy for Australian families, not least because during our September school holidays it is ultra-low season there!

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Australia too (on the Gold Coast).

Three years ago I wanted to buy a Hawaiian timeshare, and I ended up choosing the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas (North) and it has been a wonderful purchase. You can get great ocean view 2 bedroom units on the resale market, the only problem is that the maintenance fees have doubled in three years.

Hawaii is a great timeshare buy for Australian families, not least because during our September school holidays it is ultra-low season there!

Personally, as a starwood resort owner, I would NOT touch westin in Maui. It is a beautiful resort, but MF is almost 3K. Also it is an easy trade by using staroptions even during summer season.
HGVC is far more flexible, you are not set for 7 days vacation, and MF is very reasonable. If you want to use HGVC points during off season (fall), then buy Orlando or Vegas for low MF.