• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

California

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Oregon and have been researching Southern California beach resorts. I'm trying to expand my timeshare portfolio but only to something I could conceivably drive to, and I love the beach. I'd like to also have it be a decent trader but I'm looking to go where I own for this one mostly.

In researching, it seems that *some* resale purchases of GP resorts can be converted to HGVC points, and some can't. I would consider that a plus, not a have-to-have. On ebay right now, someone is selling a MarBrisa one, saying that for $995 (I thought it was $395) this unit CAN be converted to HGVC. http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAND-PACIFIC-M...md=ViewItem&pt=Timeshares&hash=item483b918ef2

But all the reading on TUG here says NO, that MarBrisa is one that cannot be converted by a resale buyer. In some other threads, it looks like HGVC people can book some California resorts, including Carlsbad Inn, but in the 2010 Hilton book it only lists MarBrisa, Palisades, and Seapoint-not Carlsbad Inn. Maybe they booked it through RCI instead?

There are some Carlsbad Inn units on ebay also and the listings don't say anything about HGVC. The Carlsbad Inn looks great, so does San Clemente Inn, are there others I should consider? (I know that last question has nothing to do with HGVC.)

Can someone help me out?

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I live in Oregon and have been researching Southern California beach resorts. I'm trying to expand my timeshare portfolio but only to something I could conceivably drive to, and I love the beach. I'd like to also have it be a decent trader but I'm looking to go where I own for this one mostly.

JMHO....If you're not looking for prime summer beach season, then you can use your Worldmark credits with RCI and II to exchange into these beach resorts during off season.
However if you're looking to stay in Southern California during prime summer beach season then I would forget about HGVC. I would suggest buying resale at the resort where you mostly want to stay but make sure you understand the booking rules to guarantee that you can reserve a prime summer beach week. You might be better off buying a fixed resale week depending on the booking rules at the particular resort(s) you're interested in.

Here are some links that you might find helpful
- read TS4MS How would you rank the California Coastal Resorts II
- take a look at the ratings and reviews on the TUG Reviews for California
- search the TUG US-Western region forum & TS4MS California timeshare forum for discussion on California beach resorts and the Grand Pacific Resorts.
- take a look at the info on the Grand Pacific Resort website
- search the sightings forum to see what has been sighted in the past few years during prime season and off season in Southern California which you might be able to get with your WorldMark credits

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

KarenL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also had questions regarding the Grand Pacific resorts and HGVC points, and received the following information from Judy Kozlowski, who is a respected on TUG as reliable and honest.
From my email to Judy:

ME: I am not yet a member, but am in escrow, purchasing a Bay Club week that will come with 4800 annual points. I will be eligible to join HGVC when it closes.

I want to know the specifics of how HGVC points are handled at Marbrisa so I will know whether to join the HGVC through my purchase at Bay Club or wait for a Marbrisa resale purchase. (Since the current owner of the Bay Club week has 2011 deposited with RCI, I have a little time to join since my first HGVC points would be for 2012.)

I am looking at Marbrisa for two reasons: I want to purchase more HGVC points, and I would like access to the Grand Pacific resorts through RCI without worrying about their 1 in 4 rule. I called RCI and double checked; I can trade into any of their resorts with my RCI points or RCI weeks if I own at one, without the 1 in 4 restriction.

If the $995.00 Marbrisa charge includes my initial HGVC membership, then I would want to use a Marbrisa purchase to join HGVC and add my Bay Club points after I am a member. Of all the HGVC affiliates I have been looking at, Marbrisa is the only one who charges extra for access to a resale owner's HGVC points. In fact, they didn't allow any resale purchasers access at all until recently.
JUDY'S REPLY: That is correct. The $995.00 includes the initil membership. You still pay the $299.00 for the HGVC transfer. You can then add the Bay Club points. Bay Club will charge you a $250 transfer fee.

ME: I am also under the impression that Grand Marbrisa won't deduct the $399.00 initial membership fee from the $995.00 fee if the resale purchaser is already a member of HGVC and doesn't need to join. Knowing whether or not this is true will affect how I time things.
JUDY:They will not deduct the $399.00.

As far as I know, the Grand Marbrisa is the only GP resort that allows access to HGVC points from a resale, but things could always change in the future. I hope this helps.
Karen

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score

In researching, it seems that *some* resale purchases of GP resorts can be converted to HGVC points, and some can't. I would consider that a plus, not a have-to-have. On ebay right now, someone is selling a MarBrisa one, saying that for $995 (I thought it was $395) this unit CAN be converted to HGVC. http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAND-PACIFIC-M...md=ViewItem&pt=Timeshares&hash=item483b918ef2

But all the reading on TUG here says NO, that MarBrisa is one that cannot be converted by a resale buyer. In some other threads, it looks like HGVC people can book some California resorts, including Carlsbad Inn, but in the 2010 Hilton book it only lists MarBrisa, Palisades, and Seapoint-not Carlsbad Inn. Maybe they booked it through RCI instead?

There are some Carlsbad Inn units on ebay also and the listings don't say anything about HGVC. The Carlsbad Inn looks great, so does San Clemente Inn, are there others I should consider? (I know that last question has nothing to do with HGVC.)

Can someone help me out?

Lot of this has been discussed on this forum before. Just do a search with "Palisades" and various useful threads will pop up. Here is one:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95192&highlight=Palisades