• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What will $20.00 in cash purchase?

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Back in 1965 $20.00 would have purchased: 64.5 gallons of gasoline @ the average price of 31 cents a gallon OR 21 gallons of milk at 95 cents a gallon.

Source: 1960s Flashback.com

Today $20.00 in paper money would buy almost 5 gallons of gas at an average price of $4.014 per gallon OR 5 gallons and at least 1 quart of Milk at an average cost of about $3.50 per gallon.

Having said that, what exactly $20.00 in cash will buy depends on what exactly you have in mind and what exactly you have in U. S. Currency that amounts to $20.00 at the time of purchase.

Now for the Rest of the Story!

Back in January 1965 while working as a cashier at a local grocery store, I got my hands on 40 Kennedy Half Dollars with the new mint date of 1964.

To acquire those 40 coins I used exactly 20 greenback paper dollars.

Flash forward to today. As of this afternoon I still had the 40 coins which are still worth $20.00 if I were to choose to take them to my local bank and cash them in.

However, today the spot price for silver fell a little and I decided now was a good time to convert the 40 coins to something that might actually acquire more goods than the same 40 coins would have purchased in January, 1965.

Believe it or not I could buy roughly 120 gallons of gasoline with the proceeds from those 40 coins OR 137 gallons of milk with the same proceeds.

Did I get a good deal? Maybe!

To sell the coins on e-bay would have required some transaction costs, as well as insurance and shipping cost; but chances are reasonably good that I would have netted somewhere between $450 and $500.

To hire a smelter to extract the silver from the coins and create a silver bar that weighed less than 14.5 Troy ounces would have cost whatever. But, at least in the end I would have had a roughly 14.5 troy ounce silver bar worth roughly $564.00 based on the spot price of silver today.

As it turned out I decided to forgo the hassle of dealing with a smelter or e-bay and decided to convert the 40 coins into 480 greenbacks which now will buy the aformentioned 120 gallons of gas or the 137 gallons of milk.

In the end I think I got a pretty good deal; however, if I trully want to get 120 gallons of gas out of those 40 coins, I had better hurry because who knows what the price of a gallon of that suff will cost me tomorrow or next week. :hysterical:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
And your average annual interest over those years is...? ;)

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
An annualized return of 7.15%.

For comparison, that $20 invested in the S&P500 in 1965 would be worth approximately $1270 today (9.44% annualized return).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
$20 bought DD over $200 worth of cute scrubs at Salvation Army and Community Aid on Student Half-Price night. Typically each piece is $20-25 new, sometimes $15-20 if you're lucky; they were instead about $3.99 at thrift-shop prices, and $2 each on Student night.

We rarely ventured into the thrift stores before, but after she commented to a friend about the prices for new scrubs the friend mentioned the thrift stores - we now make it a weekly outing!

I also got some new china, we got some jigsaw puzzles, she got several cute pairs of shoes AND two Vera Bradley purses for $14 and $16.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
$20 can buy you 20 $1 timeshares on ebay. :rofl:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
$20.00 can buy you two pizzas at Pizza Hut or Papa Johns... with no MF's!

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your timing for selling that silver was almost perfect. Silver is down over 20% in just the last 3 days.

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your timing for selling that silver was almost perfect. Silver is down over 20% in just the last 3 days.

Margin rules will change. I beleive we will still see a sell off.

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Margin rules will change. I beleive we will still see a sell off.

Not to threadjack, but I added a small double long position trying to catch a rebound before the slow decline to reality at about $25-30 and ounce. Just my hunch...plus I can't get beat too bad with a trailing stop.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
For $20 I grabbed four $5 scratch tickets and won $100. :D