• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ron Jon Cape Caribe

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Also, when we committed to HIVC through the Desert Club, we were bound to 3 years. Now that my 3 years are up, I am debating on whether or not to renew. I haven't found many exchange opportunities in RCI points that I dont' get in RCI weeks, and I don't like paying 2 memberships each year.
But I have a floating week, May through July. Will I be able to book the week through the resort and then deposit directly into RCI? I got the impression that the only way I could get my week in to RCI is through HIVC.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, when we committed to HIVC through the Desert Club, we were bound to 3 years. Now that my 3 years are up, I am debating on whether or not to renew. I haven't found many exchange opportunities in RCI points that I dont' get in RCI weeks, and I don't like paying 2 memberships each year.
But I have a floating week, May through July. Will I be able to book the week through the resort and then deposit directly into RCI? I got the impression that the only way I could get my week in to RCI is through HIVC.

I thought that the HIVC membership included your RCI account, so you would not have to pay two fees. Not correct?

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought that the HIVC membership included your RCI account, so you would not have to pay two fees. Not correct?

It included a points account, but I already pay for a weeks account which I want to keep.

astorms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Free weeks account

It is my understanding that you get a free RCI weeks account with your points account for HIVC. You may want to ask RCI about this. I was given a free weeks account with my HIVC points account.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is my understanding that you get a free RCI weeks account with your points account for HIVC. You may want to ask RCI about this. I was given a free weeks account with my HIVC points account.

Thanks for this info.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Regular points accounts get free weeks accounts. I doubt a corporate account like HIVC gives you a free weeks account. My understanding of it is even if you have other RCI points weeks you would have to pay for and maintain a separate RCI account apart from the one that is paid for by the program fees of HIVC.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regular points accounts get free weeks accounts. I doubt a corporate account like HIVC gives you a free weeks account. My understanding of it is even if you have other RCI points weeks you would have to pay for and maintain a separate RCI account apart from the one that is paid for by the program fees of HIVC.

I was told by the HIVC rep, however, that I could take eligible weeks and put them in to this points account as points-for-deposit.

Looksee

Reaction score
HICV Cape Canaveral

The owners of the resort formerly known as Ron Jon's Cape Caribe have a lot to be worried about. The owners are approximately 50% local- according to one of the managers on the site. Like many other owners- we became owners to use it! Unfortunately the news continues to be bad for those who owned under the Ron Jon name and the proposed plan is to stop all day use and club time in September. They say it is proposed but the rep on the phone acted as if this was already determined and said as much to my husband. The current platinum club members will be honored through September, but none will be renewed according to a rep at the front desk.

The management staff have been completely unreceptive to our emails asking for clarification on club time and day use. One of the reps told my husband it wasn't fair to the other Holiday Inn Club members. However their insight is so limited they don't preceive that changing the plan is not fair to the current OWNERS. The other HICV owners did not buy into their timeshare for club time- we did! The club time and day use is WHY we bought the time share!
We were sold the timeshare that provided for use through the year- many owners bought in order to use club time and day use. There should be a provision so we are grandfathered in - it is not fair to the owners who bought under that plan to have the day use and club time stopped

The staff answering the special number provided to accommodate owners during the transition often don't have answers and repeatedly have told us incorrect information ( you have to pay for your weeks membership in RCI- it is NOT covered as the staff explained to us repeatedly that it was and club time is still currently available) .

We attended an info session and a one on one "orientation" to the HICV . Of course it was only a sales pitch- my week is currently worth 210,000 points, they offered me 160,000 points for $83,000. :eek: I was told- YOU WILL BUY POINTS. Need I say more? We are going to lose more than club time.

Reaction score
The best way to say it here and at ALL resorts... is it in writing? If "Platinum Club" and "Day Use" are in your contract, they must honor it forever. If it is NOT in writing, even if it is in a booklet (which it usually says it may change at any time), it's good as gone. If it is in your purchase contract, you may be able to get out of it due to Breach of Contract.

TS

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a great resort. This is the resort our family used for pre and post Disney cruises. One word describe this resort "Awesome."

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're leaving this resort soon after week long stay as first time visitors. Our room looks recently renovated. What is not to love about this resort? Waterpark, great beach, not far from fun activities. We went to the zoo and Kennedy Space Center. Only negative- they shut down the child care program. I asked a couple staffers about the child care when we checked in and they looked very uncomfortable, said they didn't know and one suggested I talk to the activities director. I saw there is still a sign up for child care and asked another staffer walking around who said "Holiday Inn took it away." Maybe there weren't enough people who use it here but a lot of resorts offer at least a Parents Night Out. Another time a guest asked for a Ron Jon cup at root beer float time and a staffer said "no Ron Jon cups, we're Holiday Inn now." We couldn't charge anything to our room from the resort restaurant or gift shop. Those were the only signs of a transition, at least to me as a first time visitor. I would come back anytime!

Ps just wondering, are owners allowed to trade into Disney via RCI? Is the resort far enough away for the geographic restriction?

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
No Roaches in FLA!!

Just a reminder.

Florida does NOT have cockroaches! Florida has palmetto bugs!!

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family and I love Orange Lakes Resort. It's a really big beautiful resort, never had an issue with bugs. The only thing I hate about the resort is the 4 in 1 rule.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family and I love Orange Lakes Resort. It's a really big beautiful resort, never had an issue with bugs. The only thing I hate about the resort is the 4 in 1 rule.

This thread is about Ron Jon.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Ron Jon is now Holiday Inn Club

hunkyleebo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there a few weeks ago (first time since it changed to HICV). I was disappointed. There's no longer any transparency into unit assignments. They make you go to a separate desk to get your parking pass which is where they try and get you to do the owner update (I declined). They don't appear to be enforcing the rules around the pools as much as Ron Jon's did. It also appeared that they weren't maintaining the grounds as we'll as Ron Jon's did.

Cxt333

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a floating week to Ron jons and I was wondering if that would be good or not considering holiday inn owes it now.
Questions like day use and bonus time comes to the table that I don't get answers to. Any one have Insight on this stuff of a resale
Pros or cons to the purchase

Last edited by a moderator:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Is it from an owner? You may have to be sure that the owner has a deed for HIVC not Ron Jon, since it is now a Holiday Inn Vacation Club . Not sure if original owners can just own the week without joining the club?

Rehdaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even with a HIVC deed I'm not so sure that you can still get into HIVC points. I thought the only destinations that offer club acceptance via resale were Smoky Mountain, South Beach and Lake Geneva. The rest require you to purchase a developer unit and then pay a conversion fee.

As far as day use goes, I believe that they stopped that once HIVC took over. Not sure about bonus time but I'm guessing that's out the window as well.

hunkyleebo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if original owners can just own the week without joining the club?

I'm an original owner and politely declined to convert to points because I planned on using that property. Now I'm finding it harder to get reservations for high demand weeks.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm an original owner and politely declined to convert to points because I planned on using that property. Now I'm finding it harder to get reservations for high demand weeks.

It would seem then that what you have is a "floating" week ownership, no? If your ownership was instead a deeded fixed week (assuming there ever were fixed week ownerships there to begin with), the change to HIVC would have been irrelevant and meaningless in regard to your access, with no reservation gymnastics ever involved or required, regardless of your declining to "convert".

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is Ron Jons now a 1-in-4 since it was bought by Holiday Inn? I live about half an hour from there and I was thinking about trading in via RCI. I'd be bummed if it were a 1-in-4 though as I'd hate to really enjoy the place and then not be able to take my kids back for 4 years.

Also, it is going downhill? Some posts make me think so...

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
The resort is very nice. We went there last year after HIVC took over. Very nice place. we own at Orange Lake, so not sure about 1 in 4 rule. You could call the resort and ask or ask RCI before you exchange.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Is Ron Jons now a 1-in-4 since it was bought by Holiday Inn? I live about half an hour from there and I was thinking about trading in via RCI. I'd be bummed if it were a 1-in-4 though as I'd hate to really enjoy the place and then not be able to take my kids back for 4 years.

Also, it is going downhill? Some posts make me think so...

The 1 in 4 rule only applies to exchanges in. If you can manage to find a unit in RCI's Last Calls or Extra Vacations (low season?) you can go there without being affected by the rule. We have done that with a few resorts, returning for 2 or 3 (or more) years in a row.

~Diane