• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

StarOption Rollover Question

jay31

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I have unused 2016 staroptions and sell the property, but I still have another starwood Vacation Ownership at a different property under the same account, can I carry over the 2016 options for the one i'm selling?

Example

Own
Hawaii -148k
Cancun -148k

Sell Hawaii, carry over the 2016 148k for Hawaii to 2017? Does that work?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, if they are both in the same VSE/Starwood Acct.

But, you should roll the Staroptions over immediately, before you do the transfer to the new owner.

-Make sure your contract and deed stipulate that new ownership starts in 2017.

jay31

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, can options be Banked online? Or do you have to call in to do that?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks, can options be Banked online? Or do you have to call in to do that?

You have to call, because you have to pay. (Unless you have 5 Star Elite Status and can roll-over for free.)

5* Elite Owners: No charge.
3* and 4* Elite Owners: $79
All other (non-Elite) Owners: $99

jay31

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey what happens if you don't do it right away? Will you just lose the 2016 points or would they transfer to the new owner?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey what happens if you don't do it right away? Will you just lose the 2016 points or would they transfer to the new owner?

It's hard to say, but if it is after the roll-over deadline, you would just lose them:

Non-Elite SVN members can request SO Banking no later than July 1
3* and 4* Elite members may request SO Banking through October 1
5* Elite members may request SO Banking through December 31

We often see situations where someone buys a VSE timeshare, and then are surprised to receive Staroptions in their account, that they didn't expect to get. So, it's best not to leave the door open for anything to happen to them.

There is no advantage to holding onto them longer.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were you thinking about using them in 2016?

jay31

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah we didn't know if they would get used in 2016, and are worried with them being sold they might disappear, probably be better to play it safe and bank them for 2017.

Here is a follow up question, if they do become banked for 2017, do I have to wait till January 1, 2017 to book something? or can I book at the 8 month out window? And i'm fine paying the 2017 MF fees now if it gives an 8 month window to book.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
yeah we didn't know if they would get used in 2016, and are worried with them being sold they might disappear, probably be better to play it safe and bank them for 2017.

Here is a follow up question, if they do become banked for 2017, do I have to wait till January 1, 2017 to book something? or can I book at the 8 month out window? And i'm fine paying the 2017 MF fees now if it gives an 8 month window to book.

Once they are banked you can use them to book in 2017, just not anything still in 2016.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You can book anything in the 8 mo. window - you don't have to pre-pay the MF.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once they are banked you can use them to book in 2017, just not anything still in 2016.
But you can prepay 2017 mf then borrow them for a 2016 reservation.

[head spins]

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say, but if it is after the roll-over deadline, you would just lose them:

Non-Elite SVN members can request SO Banking no later than July 1
3* and 4* Elite members may request SO Banking through October 1
5* Elite members may request SO Banking through December 31

We often see situations where someone buys a VSE timeshare, and then are surprised to receive Staroptions in their account, that they didn't expect to get. So, it's best not to leave the door open for anything to happen to them.

There is no advantage to holding onto them longer.

I couldn't find this information in the FAQ ... if it isn't there it should be added :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I couldn't find this information in the FAQ ... if it isn't there it should be added :)

It is in Owner Resources at the top of the forum, under Exchanging.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score

I do know banked points are lost upon transfer to new owner. Last resale purchase had 28000 I would have loved to keep. They showed on my account after closing, but within a week or so, SVN took them away. :mad: Other points I'm not sure about.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do know banked points are lost upon transfer to new owner. Last resale purchase had 28000 I would have loved to keep. They showed on my account after closing, but within a week or so, SVN took them away. :mad: Other points I'm not sure about.

Clarification: They are "StarOptions."

"Points" or Starpoints, are hotel points.

Starwood took them away, because they belonged to the previous owner.

If the previous owner still had an SVN Acct., the Staroptions should stay in his Acct.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I apologize, Staroptions. I started down the TS road with DVC and getting the points vs. options thing down has, as you can see, be difficult. :confused: