• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Flex/Home Options on Ebay

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Obviously expensive based on the price in that auction, but there may be cheaper ones come along after many years of being out on the market. I would still agree, it is better to just buy a voluntary resort. Are these HomeOptions going to be unsellable?

I think so. They are no more valuable than the underlying resorts in the trust -- most of which can be bought for a dollar.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think so. They are no more valuable than the underlying resorts in the trust -- most of which can be bought for a dollar.

Plus the MF is higher than just buying the underlying resort.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

At least if Starwood had have allowed the resale buyer to pay an initiation fee, like Marriott does to resale Destinations Points buyers, these points may have retained some amount of value. Marriott currently charges $3000 a minimum, and points still sell for about $5 per point.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
At least if Starwood had have allowed the resale buyer to pay an initiation fee, like Marriott does to resale Destinations Points buyers, these points may have retained some amount of value. Marriott currently charges $3000 a minimum, and points still sell for about $5 per point.

Starwood permits "requalification" of resale purchases, but at a high price: one must buy a retail unit and pay at least $20,000 of "new money" in the process ($40K if in Hawaii). The result is the owner will have StarOptions and StarPoint conversion rights for both properties.

Starwood or its successor may create something similar for resale HomeOptions, but it probably won't be cheap or cost/effective.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
:bawl:
Starwood permits "requalification" of resale purchases, but at a high price: one must buy a retail unit and pay at least $20,000 of "new money" in the process ($40K if in Hawaii). The result is the owner will have StarOptions and StarPoint conversion rights for both properties.

Starwood or its successor may create something similar for resale HomeOptions, but it probably won't be cheap or cost/effective.

The "new money" is not 20k or 40k necessarily. If you have a "trade in VOI" the "new money" gets reduced. I imagine this is a moving target based on how much they want the sale. Having said that, not all VOIs are accepted as "trade in VOI".

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Another Flex listing

If you need more confirmation that the resale value of these options are going to be limited it will be interesting to follow the latest eBay listing of 44000 HO for a starting bid of $299 (I just noticed tonight with my scheduled search - not my own listing).

No bids yet - not surprising.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you need more confirmation that the resale value of these options are going to be limited it will be interesting to follow the latest eBay listing of 44000 HO for a starting bid of $299 (I just noticed tonight with my scheduled search - not my own listing).

The market for any Flex resale is likely to only be among the uninformed. I simply can't see any advantage to owning this program, especially the lower point value contracts. Perhaps an exception for ski weeks, but that's still questionable to me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I just added it to my watch list to see how it ends. I just don't see how it will even get a single bid. Vistana has created a product that is worthless at resale. Limited use at only a few resorts and an even worse II trader than voluntary properties. I can see how this can perhaps get them in to trouble some day. I think there will be increased scrutiny and perhaps even more regulation if timeshare companies continue to develope and sell "real estate" products knowing full well that their resale value is near or at $0.