• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I need an II account right away after TS escrow closes?

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
Once my timeshare closes escrow, do I need to create an II account right away? Or is it wise to just do that when the time comes that I will want/need to do an exchange? It does cost money so I I'm thinking just create one when it's needed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You don't need an Interval account until you need one, so your idea of waiting makes perfect sense.

Besides, should you acquire any additional TS's between now and then, you would be able to include them in your Interval account without paying an additional fee.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You pay for your membership 12 mos. at a time, so I think it's a better idea to open your acct. about a mo. before you plan to deposit. Don't cut it too close - give yourself time to get it set up.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
If you don't plan on exchanging with II in the near future why spend the money for membership?

One reason might be to access their last minute deals that you pay cash for instead of giving up your week.

It can't take too long to set up an account here in the 21st century so I'd wait until you think you'll use it.

There are also exchange companies that you can join for free if your resort will let you exchange through them. Dial An Exchange is one I'm familiar with.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks everyone.. great responses here... I'll probably wait a bit since my 1st use will probably/most likely be at the home resort I just purchased and no need for an exchange.. unless of course I want to pay for a good priced last minute vacations that are offered sometimes at II. Thanks everyone.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
When I bought my first timeshare, I immediately joined ii. It didn't dawn on me that it might have made sense to wait and that I would save the roughly $ 7.50 a month (around $90 a year) until I needed ii.

But right after I joined ii, I started exploring Getaways and navigating the ii site. Within a month or so, I had booked a getaway week in Palm Desert and another GTW week in Tahoe - - both at incredibly low prices (they had given me some sort of AC shortly after I joined that knocked $150 off of any getaway). Yes - - I was hooked !! :hysterical: (I typically have been buying my getaways around 5 to 6 months in advance, while there are still 1 and 2 BR units available. I find that waiting until the last minute limits the inventory in terms of availability and also unit size.)

For me it is pretty much wide open when I can travel, so joining ii early actually got me traveling earlier too. If the OP wouldn't be interested in buying a discount getaway and doing some extra traveling then it makes perfect sense to wait.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I bought my first timeshare, I immediately joined ii. It didn't dawn on me that it might have made sense to wait and that I would save the roughly $ 7.50 a month (around $90 a year) until I needed ii.

But right after I joined ii, I started exploring Getaways and navigating the ii site. Within a month or so, I had booked a getaway week in Palm Desert and another GTW week in Tahoe - - both at incredibly low prices (they had given me some sort of AC shortly after I joined that knocked $150 off of any getaway). Yes - - I was hooked !! :hysterical: (I typically have been buying my getaways around 5 to 6 months in advance, while there are still 1 and 2 BR units available. I find that waiting until the last minute limits the inventory in terms of availability and also unit size.)

For me it is pretty much wide open when I can travel, so joining ii early actually got me traveling earlier too. If the OP wouldn't be interested in buying a discount getaway and doing some extra traveling then it makes perfect sense to wait.

Thanks.. That's actually a great idea.. I guess I'll wait a little and join if I think we're up for a nice getaway for a good price. Thanks again.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Spaulino,

I see that you are from Ca. I am from the San diego area. I think that my location is good for taking advantage of Getaways where we can do a "drive-to" vacation.

San Diego (lot of Welk availability)
Tahoe - lots of availability, especially somewhat off season
Palm Springs and PD - generally good availability except in the spring
Newport Coast - Kind of rare for a GTW. But occasionally I see something
Capistrano - fairly good availability although I'm not sure how good the gtws are financially
Lake Havasu - good avail
Sedona - generally good avail esp. during off season
Phoenix - ditto except not much inventory in the spring
San Francisco/Napa - not a lot of inventory but it does show up occasionally. If you're watching, you may be able to grab it.

If you can travel on the shoulder seasons, consider getting your membership about 5 months in advance. That's when new stuff generally shows up - - sometimes earlier or later. If you wait until say, a month or two b4 travel, the nicer places and units may have already been placed.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spaulino,

I see that you are from Ca. I am from the San diego area. I think that my location is good for taking advantage of Getaways where we can do a "drive-to" vacation.

San Diego (lot of Welk availability)
Tahoe - lots of availability, especially somewhat off season
Palm Springs and PD - generally good availability except in the spring
Newport Coast - Kind of rare for a GTW. But occasionally I see something
Capistrano - fairly good availability although I'm not sure how good the gtws are financially
Lake Havasu - good avail
Sedona - generally good avail esp. during off season
Phoenix - ditto except not much inventory in the spring
San Francisco/Napa - not a lot of inventory but it does show up occasionally. If you're watching, you may be able to grab it.

If you can travel on the shoulder seasons, consider getting your membership about 5 months in advance. That's when new stuff generally shows up - - sometimes earlier or later. If you wait until say, a month or two b4 travel, the nicer places and units may have already been placed.

Thanks BJRSanDiego... Yes, I'm from CA, not too far from you. :) From OC so about an hour away. Thanks for above. They all sound great so I think I will be joining II soon once I have everything settled with closing, etc... Can't wait to use our MKO though.. :banana: