• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help on which TS to purchase

knighbert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseM View Post
Here are some questions you can answer to focus your timeshare wants/needs.

If you click on QUOTE at the end of my post, the questions will open up in a new window for you to answer:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Not sure, I want to be able to go to multiple resorts, not just the same one every year. So I want a timeshare that is flexible.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Probably trade more than half the time.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Hawaii, Desert, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Tropical locations

4) How many people do you usually travel with? It depends if my older daughters come with us, if they don't, 4, if they do, 7.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Again, if we take just my son, we are flexible, if we take the girls, then we have to stick to school schedule.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes, definitely

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? I don't always like to go for a week. I prefer being flexible in this. I would like to do some 3 day weekends and also stay 10-12 days sometimes if I am traveling far.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4-5 stars definitely

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?$25,000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? I don't want to start off at more than $2000 a year currently for MF's. I realize they will go up.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes, very much so.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes. We are already owners of Disney Vacation Club and love it. We own 855 points and are happy with it.
We want to purchase something that will compliment our DVC vacations. We just did a Westin/Starwood TS presentation but want to get opinions on some of the other TS's such as Marriot and Hilton, etc. as well. Thanks in advance!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? I don't always like to go for a week. I prefer being flexible in this. I would like to do some 3 day weekends and also stay 10-12 days sometimes if I am traveling far.

In general, timesharing is set up to work best in increments of 7 nights. Timeshares are usually sold in increments of 7 nights, so if you want to go for 10-12 nights, you will either have to down size to a smaller unit, or own two weeks.

Besides size, you usually have a time disadvantage when you want to reserve more or less than 7 nights. Generally, you can reserve what you own, in increments of 7 nights, 12 - 13 mos. before check-in, but if you want to reserve a shorter or longer stay, you have to wait until 8/9 mos., which may mean that it's no longer available.

Example: In a few days the Staroption reservation window opens for Sat. check-in, for President's week at the Westin Ka'anapali, but it's already booked solid, because owners made home resort reservations at 12 mos., and there is nothing leftover for "flexible" reservations.

School holidays are the highest demand weeks of the year, and you will have much more luck booking them, if you make a 7 night reservation, at 12 mos. before check-in.

Timesharing is set up to work best when you make your reservation as early as possible, in increments of 7 nights, so I'm not sure it will do what you want, unless you go to a points system, like Wyndham or Worldmark.

I own several Wyndham timeshares myself, so this isn't a put down, but over all, Wyndham is a step down from the hotel based timeshares: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, & Hyatt.

Last edited:

knighbert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Denise. The guy from Westin said the way to get around the 7 nights is to reserve 7 nights at the 12 month mark and then cancel the nights at 8 months that you don't want. Can you do this? I think that the reason I have been so happy with Disney is because it is strictly points based and it is so flexible. I have heard that Hilton and Marriot have moved to a points based system. How is it different from Disney? I might be ok with just staying 7 nights, that wouldn't be a deal breaker. The biggest thing for me is flexibility to stay at different resorts. Between Marriot, Hilton and Starwood, which we allow the most flexibility?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood appears to be a good fit for you. Hilton might work as well. I would stay away from Marriott as you will need to buy from the developer to be able to use their internal system.. Based on what you're willing to spend upfront and on MFs, I might suggest a combination of TSs. For example, we own Starwood ( Westin) and Hyatt and love this combination. Hilton is a great system also and trades within RCI, so if you bought a Starwood and Hilton, that would give you access to both exchange systems. I would study each system carefully, taking your time; you've already answered the most important questions. For us, it was primarily about where we wanted to travel and resort quality. To answer your last question, Starwood and Hilton allow the most flexibility since you will be able to use their internal systems as well as make deposits in II and RCI, respectively.

Post script: I had forgotten that you already own Disney.

Last edited:

knighbert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood appears to be a good fit for you. Hilton might work as well. I would stay away from Marriott as you will need to buy from the developer to be able to use their internal system.. Based on what you're willing to spend upfront and on MFs, I might suggest a combination of TSs. For example, we own Starwood ( Westin) and Hyatt and love this combination. Hilton is a great system also and trades within RCI, so if you bought a Starwood and Hilton, that would give you access to both exchange systems.

If I were to buy Starwood resale, I was told I would not be able to use it for other resorts. I would only be able to stay at the resort I purchased at. Is this also true for Hilton and Hyatt? I can trade within RCI through Disney but have not done so yet.

Thank you all so far for the info. It really is helpful. I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can make the best decision for my family.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know who told you this, but it's not true. Resales at Starwood mandatory resorts come with StarOptions that can be used to stay at other Starwood resorts. The key with Starwood is to buy at a mandatory resort. Hyatts come with points that can be used to stay at other Hyatts as well. Same for Hilton.

If I were to buy Starwood resale, I was told I would not be able to use it for other resorts. I would only be able to stay at the resort I purchased at. Is this also true for Hilton and Hyatt? I can trade within RCI through Disney but have not done so yet.

Thank you all so far for the info. It really is helpful. I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can make the best decision for my family.

knighbert

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may look into Hyatt as well. I am a Platinum member for the hotels. I'm not sure if that makes any difference though. It was the sales guide from Starwood that told me that I couldn't trade. Which is the best investment as far as the Mandatory Resorts at Starwood? Also, are there any disadvantages to buying resale at Hilton or Hyatt? Thank you again!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I may look into Hyatt as well. I am a Platinum member for the hotels. I'm not sure if that makes any difference though. It was the sales guide from Starwood that told me that I couldn't trade. Which is the best investment as far as the Mandatory Resorts at Starwood? Also, are there any disadvantages to buying resale at Hilton or Hyatt? Thank you again!!!

If you buy a mandatory (with Staroptions) resale at Starwood, the only difference is that you can't convert it to hotel points - which is a terrible deal anyway.

Important point: Sales people lie to make a sale - do your own research - you can't depend on what they say.

Here are the real facts: Starwood FAQ

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Westin Kierland (WKV), which is generally considered one of the better ones as far as price, SOs, MFs, etc.. Folks over on the Starwood forum could also offer opinions on this. We love using WKV during the winter months and sometimes exchanging into Hawaii. I don't know of any disadvantages of buying a Hilton or Hyatt resale. Even though you want to trade or exchange a good bit, most here recommend buying at a resort where you would want to vacation, around half the time. Rules for internal systems can be changed by Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt, etc...

Last edited:

knighbert

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Westin Kierland (WKV), which is generally considered one of the better ones as far as price, SOs, MFs, etc.. Folks over on the Starwood forum could also offer opinions on this. We love using WKV during the winter months and sometimes exchanging into Hawaii. I don't know of any disadvantages of buying a Hilton or Hyatt resale. Even though you want to trade or exchange a good bit, most here recommend buying at a resort where you would want to vacation, around half the time. Rules for internal systems can be changed by Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt, etc...

Thanks! It's funny, after researching that's the one (WKV) that I found will probably work the best for us. We live in S. California, about 5 1/2 hours from Scottsdale so the nice thing about it is, we can drive there if we don't want to fly somewhere or can't fly somewhere due to funds. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm newer at this, and would always defer to the advice of those with multiple ownership experience....

But my 2c anyway.

I've just gone thru (and still am....) the experience you're describing.

I think the main issue with your scenario is the large variability in the number of guests (4 vs 7, 2 couples in that 7?), the desire to use short stays (points) and the high level of accommodations (4-5). Throw Hawaii into the mix, and you've created the perfect storm.

To accomplish your stated goal, I think you're going to have to take some 'risk' or 'pain' one way or the other.

I don't have time to write an intelligent comment right now, but maybe later? I do have some suggestions that might help.

Maybe you could answer a few questions in the mean time?

How many private accommodations (bed's) do you need for the seven? 4 beds or 5 beds?

Would you be willing to 'plan' a vacation for 7 with the understanding that the 2nd room/3 bedroom unit might not pan out? Would you be willing to invite the other 3 when the opportunity arises vs planning 12 months ahead for 7 people?

How critical is having airfares bought more than 6 mos out for Hawaii or Caribbean?

Would you be enthusiastic about great opportunities during shoulder months--even if they were 6 mos, 90 days or 60 days out?

Hope to hear back later.

knighbert

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many private accommodations (bed's) do you need for the seven? 4 beds or 5 beds? I would need at least 4 beds. I think a 2 bedroom would be adequate. I do have to say that my family consists of me, dh, 23 year old daughter who is married, 19 year old daughter who is in college, 17 year old son who will be a senior in high school next year, and then our surprise ;) 5 year old son. I would imagine that with the exception of a few "family" trips. Most of our future trips will be just my husband and I and our 5 year old. Maybe the ones in college for a few more years. I'm thinking now that we should just plan for having my 5 year old and if we need extra space for the "family" trips, we rent an extra unit.

Would you be willing to 'plan' a vacation for 7 with the understanding that the 2nd room/3 bedroom unit might not pan out? Would you be willing to invite the other 3 when the opportunity arises vs planning 12 months ahead for 7 people? If the whole family is traveling, I would want to plan it 12 months in advance. I would imagine almost all of our shorter trips (3 or 4 nights) would be for just for the 4 of us (3 once my son starts college).

How critical is having airfares bought more than 6 mos out for Hawaii or Caribbean? I would imagine the sooner I booked my airfare the cheaper it would be, so I would want to book it as early as possible.

Would you be enthusiastic about great opportunities during shoulder months--even if they were 6 mos, 90 days or 60 days out? I'm not sure what "shoulder" months are but I am a planner and usually plan my trips a year out in advance. I would imagine I would only book shorter stays 90 or 60 days out.

I am starting to think that with so many variables, we might be better off just renting a villa for our trips rather than purchasing. I hate staying in hotel rooms, I definitely prefer a villa but I am thinking that renting will give me the flexibility I am looking for.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would imagine I would only book shorter stays 90 or 60 days out.

At popular resorts, during school holidays, you are unlikely to be able to book at 90-60 days out. School holidays book solid very early.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
To get the same or similar accomodations, you are going to pay more for the flexibility, as opposed to owning. However, you won't have to worry about selling or paying MFs... Given the way we travel, we are close to recouping our original investment after having owned for a couple of years.. Our TSs allow us to travel in a style that we would not be able to otherwise.

How many private accommodations (bed's) do you need for the seven? 4 beds or 5 beds? I would need at least 4 beds. I think a 2 bedroom would be adequate. I do have to say that my family consists of me, dh, 23 year old daughter who is married, 19 year old daughter who is in college, 17 year old son who will be a senior in high school next year, and then our surprise ;) 5 year old son. I would imagine that with the exception of a few "family" trips. Most of our future trips will be just my husband and I and our 5 year old. Maybe the ones in college for a few more years. I'm thinking now that we should just plan for having my 5 year old and if we need extra space for the "family" trips, we rent an extra unit.

Would you be willing to 'plan' a vacation for 7 with the understanding that the 2nd room/3 bedroom unit might not pan out? Would you be willing to invite the other 3 when the opportunity arises vs planning 12 months ahead for 7 people? If the whole family is traveling, I would want to plan it 12 months in advance. I would imagine almost all of our shorter trips (3 or 4 nights) would be for just for the 4 of us (3 once my son starts college).

How critical is having airfares bought more than 6 mos out for Hawaii or Caribbean? I would imagine the sooner I booked my airfare the cheaper it would be, so I would want to book it as early as possible.

Would you be enthusiastic about great opportunities during shoulder months--even if they were 6 mos, 90 days or 60 days out? I'm not sure what "shoulder" months are but I am a planner and usually plan my trips a year out in advance. I would imagine I would only book shorter stays 90 or 60 days out.

I am starting to think that with so many variables, we might be better off just renting a villa for our trips rather than purchasing. I hate staying in hotel rooms, I definitely prefer a villa but I am thinking that renting will give me the flexibility I am looking for.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Why don't you look at the Marriott MKO Ko Olina lock-off units? They have 2 kings, 2 sofa beds and can support 1 roll-in.

They trade well in II, you can lockoff and use eplus to probably trade up to at least 1 better room (1br + 1 br or better).

The cost isn't bad, the MF's are doable and you have Marriott preference in trade...with all the destinations you mentioned. Also, good desert properties....again, with lock-offs. If you're really liking the Marriott, you could always pick up a second, cheaper unit close to home (smaller MKO, Willow or desert property) which will trade well and could be leveraged into two units in Hawaii or the islands. Plus, if you own 2 Marriotts, you get 13 mos booking preference. Just a thought.

The initial unit would be well under your price...the second unit would press the MF's over 2k, but well under the purchase price again.

Consider calling SethNoc (a respected TUG member)--I worked with Samuel--and discussing your questions. They have a good perspective on buying/renting or using two owned properties (one weeks, one points) to maximize your vacation time. Seven can be tough in a two bedroom with nap-time and couples etc...
Good luck and welcome.

there's a world of knowledge here on TUG

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Marriott as well, but keep in mind you will have to use II when you want to go anywhere other than what you purchase, as you cannot use their internal exchange system with a resale. You will have Marriott preference in II..

Why don't you look at the Marriott MKO Ko Olina lock-off units? They have 2 kings, 2 sofa beds and can support 1 roll-in.

They trade well in II, you can lockoff and use eplus to probably trade up to at least 1 better room (2br + 1 br or better).

The cost isn't bad, the MF's are doable and you have Marriott preference in trade...with all the destinations you mentioned. Also, good desert properties....again, with lock-offs. If you're really liking the Marriott, you could always pick up a second, cheaper unit close to home (smaller MKO, Willow or desert property) which will trade well and could be leveraged into two units in Hawaii or the islands. Plus, if you own 2 Marriotts, you get 13 mos booking preference. Just a thought.

The initial unit would be well under your price...the second unit would press the MF's over 2k, but well under the purchase price again.

Consider calling SethNoc (a respected TUG member)--I worked with Samuel--and discussing your questions. They have a good perspective on buying/renting or using two owned properties (one weeks, one points) to maximize your vacation time. Seven can be tough in a two bedroom with nap-time and couples etc...
Good luck and welcome.

there's a world of knowledge here on TUG

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I like Marriott as well, but keep in mind you will have to use II when you want to go anywhere other than what you purchase, as you cannot use their internal exchange system with a resale. You will have Marriott preference in II..

I assume you mean exchanges will be conducted, using Marriott preference for Marriott properties, thru II vs making a DC points reservation at any resort?

Marriott would allow booking/trades at 12 (13) months. SVN would allow SO bookings (at other resorts) at ??? 8 months? HGVC 9 months?

Yes, there is more flexibility to DC points, but at .47 cents a point MF's, I suggest renting them if you need that much flexibility.

Just my 2c

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. Someone who who owns Marriott can better speak to the ease of getting another Marriott via II (with preference). As a Hyatt owner, I have exchanged into Marriotts via II. However, in order to do this, you have to be very flexible as to resorts and dates. It seems to be getting more difficult to do this with some resorts, ie., Hilton Head..

I assume you mean exchanges will be conducted, using Marriott preference for Marriott properties, thru II vs making a DC points reservation at any resort?

Marriott would allow booking/trades at 12 (13) months. SVN would allow SO bookings (at other resorts) at ??? 9 months? HGVC 9 months?

Yes, there is more flexibility to DC points, but at .47 cents a point MF's, I suggest renting them if you need that much flexibility.

Just my 2c

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard that Hilton and Marriot have moved to a points based system. How is it different from Disney?

I previously owned DVC and sold it and now own some other points systems. Hilton has similar flexibility as DVC, but they charge you for everything that you do. You pay to make reservations, you pay to put a guest name on account, you pay to bank your points.... oddly, you don't have to pay to borrow your next years points, though.

Where you buy, you have a one year booking window if you book exactly what you own (a Saturday to Saturday stay in exact unit deeded). For all other reservations, you have a 9 month window. The minimum stay is for 3 nights. Should you ever wish to book less than 30 days out - they have a cash option with a minimum stay of 2 nights.

Hilton and DVC are the 2 most expensive places to own for those wanting to exchange in RCI, meaning you pay a lot to buy, for annual fees and then you trade down for something less expensive in RCI. If Hilton doesn't have the locations you want and you think you'll be using RCI, you shouldn't buy Hilton.