• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone ever make a profit from selling last calls/extra vacations?

Cpanzi

Reaction score
Hey all,

Newbie here. Pondering my newly found access to RCI was just thinking if anyone had actually "rented out" a last call/extra vacations using a guest certificate. Seems like if you can find interested people and charge a few bucks over what the actually charge you, could be a way to make a few bucks here and there (possibly cover maint. fees)?

Thanks!

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Hey all,

Newbie here. Pondering my newly found access to RCI was just thinking if anyone had actually "rented out" a last call/extra vacations using a guest certificate. Seems like if you can find interested people and charge a few bucks over what the actually charge you, could be a way to make a few bucks here and there (possibly cover maint. fees)?

Thanks!

RCI rules expressly prohibit renting out any exchange/last call/extra vacation.

Sue

Cpanzi

Reaction score
Bit confused. Perhaps my wording is incorrect. I thought you could use a guest certificate for an exchange/last call/extra vacation. So say I got a last call for $209. Then found someone interested in it. And charged them $209+$59 (guest certificate fee) then + $50 for profit....that would not be allowed?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bit confused. Perhaps my wording is incorrect. I thought you could use a guest certificate for an exchange/last call/extra vacation. So say I got a last call for $209. Then found someone interested in it. And charged them $209+$59 (guest certificate fee) then + $50 for profit....that would not be allowed?

That's correct.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club

I'm all new to TS world too but from what I've read and learned here, anything retrieved from an exchange/trade from II or RCI CANNOT be rented out. Only thing that can be rented out is if you've booked it directly through your TS owned property.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yessa!

I'm all new to TS world too but from what I've read and learned here, anything retrieved from an exchange/trade from II or RCI CANNOT be rented out. Only thing that can be rented out is if you've booked it directly through your TS owned property.

Yup. Stated another way, if you don't own it, then it's not yours to rent out, whether it's an exchange, Last Call, Extra Vacation, or Benevolent Billy's Bonus Week.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is important to know because a lot of scammers are calling TS owners claiming the owners have some valuable exchange or bonus weeks that can be rented out for thousands of dollars and the scammers will do this for the low, low price of $1475 upfront. Needless to say, it's a scam because these weeks do not belong to the TS owners.

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. Stated another way, if you don't own it, then it's not yours to rent out, whether it's an exchange, Last Call, Extra Vacation, or Benevolent Billy's Bonus Week.

If I understand correctly, this applies to the external exchange companies, but if there is an internal exchange program, it may allow for rentals that are legit.

I have Wyndham points, as one example, and I can book and rent out a resort that I do not technically own at. The points system is an internal exchange program.

Again, this is my understanding - certainly not an expert though.

The point being, make sure you understand the rules before you play the game (especially if you are expending $$ to play the game)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think adding other systems into the mix confuses the issue. Let's keep this specifically about RCI and II and weeks obtained through either of these exchange companies either as an exchange or a rental by a regular Joe member.

Both prohibit rentals by members. There are many more reports of members getting in trouble with II than with RCI but RCI actually has the stronger language in their terms. I am coping both below:

TermsandConditionsofRCIWeeks.pdf
D. Guest Certificates and Guest Passes may not
be used for any commercial purpose, or monetary or
other consideration, by Member or guest, including
without limitation auction, barter, rental, raffle or
sale of the Guest Pass or Guest Certificate or the
underlying Confirmed Exchange. RCI, in its sole
discretion, may limit the number of Guest
Certificates or Guest Passes a Member may
purchase, or the number of Exchange Requests or
Confirmed Exchanges which may be made by or on
behalf of a guest. Their use is also subject to any
conditions, restrictions or limitations which may be
imposed by an Inventory provider.
E. Members are responsible for all acts and
omissions of their guests and for any damage caused or
expenses incurred by their guests while using any
Inventory in the Program, including people who are
using Guest Certificates or Guest Passes.
F. RCI reserves the right, in its sole discretion
(without refund or credit) and without limitation to do the
following: revoke a Confirmed Exchange, Guest
Certificate or Guest Pass; terminate or suspend the
membership of the relevant Member; or deny access to
any of the products or services offered in connection
with membership in the event of any failure to comply
with these Terms and Conditions, by any Member, guest
of a Member, or the holder of a Guest Certificate or
Guest Pass.

http://www.intervalworld.com/iimedia/pdf/iw/buyers-guide.pdf
17. The Member is responsible for the acts and omissions of the individuals
occupying the Host Accommodations, including any loss or damage to the
Host Resort or the Host Accommodations. Individuals under the age
of 21 are not eligible to receive a Guest Certificate. Additionally, the
issuance of a Guest Certificate and the use of the Host Accommodations
are subject to any restrictions or limitations that may be imposed by
the Host Resort. Members are expressly prohibited from selling or
exchanging a Guest Certificate for cash, barter, or other consideration. In
the event that any of the above terms are breached, II reserves the right
to revoke the Guest Certificate and cancel the underlying Confirmation.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think adding other systems into the mix confuses the issue. Let's keep this specifically about RCI and Wyndham and weeks obtained through either of these exchange companies either as an exchange or a rental by a regular Joe member.

Both prohibit rentals by members. There are many more reports of members getting in trouble with II than with RCI but RCI actually has the stronger language in their terms.

I agree, but I think that perhaps you actually meant to type RCI and II (i.e., not RCI and Wyndham, as quoted / highlighted in blue above).

After I posted, I immediately thought of Wyndham points being something of an exception to the "actual resort ownership" statement. Heaven knows there are active "landlords" right here on TUG routinely booking Wyndham reservations with their points, then renting out those reserved weeks --- as is supposedly allowed. But as you point out, such "internal" arrangements are really outside the scope and topic of what is actually under discussion here regarding the overtly prohibited renting out of II or RCI exchanges, II Getaways, RCI Last Calls and Extra Vacations --- and of course the ever popular (but purely hypothetical) Benevolent Billy's Big Bonus Weeks. ;)

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
oopps. I did mean RCI and II. Will edit.

Cpanzi

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Definitely clarified it for me a bit. Appreciate all the helpful information!