• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Barbados!!!!!!!!!!

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 2BR Penthouse Mountain View
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
Headed to Barbados today with the family and inlaws for 9 days! Traded in to the Crane back at the end of March for a 2Br week then for the rest of the time we used Hhonors pts for the hotel on the island. I think we got lucky to find the Crane when we did. I know its the summer and a little less desireable, but is the only time kids are off from school and done with baseball so they can travel with us easily. Any pointers on what to do while we are there? We will report back when we return and through out if possible.

Question of the day..... is it possible to drink an island out of Rum???? I will let you know...:banana:

Kevin

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are going to the #1 or #2 producer of Rum in the world. Enjoy your self on the island.

Last edited:

FatPedro

Reaction score
Mount Gay Rum Factory

Hello Knagel,

DH and I had the chance to visit Barbados in 2012 and we toured the Mount Gay Rum Factory - the oldest rum factory in the world. It's not glitzy like the Bacardi Rum Factory in San Juan, Puerto Rico, but very interesting yet.

We also enjoyed high tea, and spent some time on the beautiful white sandy beaches and had more rum.

Barbados is beautiful - a motorcycle ride is nice too.

Hope you have a fantastic time there!

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
Results of the trip:

The Crane is a Beautiful resort. If you get a chance go there! The beach is very nice, but if you are going to the beach to snorkel and swim, the waves are fairly big since the resort is on the Atlantic side. Rooms were clean and nice. EVERYONE in Barbados is super nice. Don't know if it is because they have to be because they rely on tourism or if they are all genuinely nice.

We also stayed at the Hilton hotel on the Southwest side of the island (Caribbean side). It was a nice hotel and close to the touristy stuff, but exceptional, no.

The Boatyard is a must for adults and children. $20 per head to get in and that is given back to you as a voucher to use for food and drink. So essentially no cost to get in and they provide beach chairs and water trampoline and other activities. Food and drinks were not out of line for the rest of the island.

Snorkel with the turtles is a must do in Carlisle Bay. You can do it for free and the guys at the Boatyard can tell you where it is at, but it is a little swim from the shore and I would be fearful of being wore out by the time you get there and back swimming. We took Barbados Blue tour and it was great.

Bathsheba was kind of a let down but I would say to go there so you can say you went. Only go in a rented car as a taxi rate would kill you. Bus would take you too, but how long who knows. We rented a car while we were the from Stouts car rental. DEFFINATELY spring for the GPS. I would NOT have wanted to find my way around down there with out it and I own a trucking company.

We didn't make flower cave and the far North end and wish we would have had time.

Sand is soft and white. Flying fish sandwiches are great. Banks beer is probably the best beer I have had. I changed my mind and decided to try to drink them out of Banks instead of Rum. Yeah, that didn't work either :hysterical:

With a 2 for 1 exchange rate, don't fall over at your bar or food bill. I didn't think for a tourist island that prices were too out of line for prepared food. Now the grocery store is another thing. I thought food there was quite expensive but I am a tightwad like that. Don't expect much for US brand names on food there. There will be some, but there will be also quite a bit you haven't heard of. Fish and meat at the store we went to we decided to pass on as it really didn't look that fresh.

Great time and good memories for the family. I would go back in a heart beat.

Kevin

mz3bo

Reaction score
Hi,

What did you used (system) to trade into The Crane ?

Cheers
Bo

Results of the trip:

The Crane is a Beautiful resort. If you get a chance go there! The beach is very nice, but if you are going to the beach to snorkel and swim, the waves are fairly big since the resort is on the Atlantic side. Rooms were clean and nice. EVERYONE in Barbados is super nice. Don't know if it is because they have to be because they rely on tourism or if they are all genuinely nice.

We also stayed at the Hilton hotel on the Southwest side of the island (Caribbean side). It was a nice hotel and close to the touristy stuff, but exceptional, no.

The Boatyard is a must for adults and children. $20 per head to get in and that is given back to you as a voucher to use for food and drink. So essentially no cost to get in and they provide beach chairs and water trampoline and other activities. Food and drinks were not out of line for the rest of the island.

Snorkel with the turtles is a must do in Carlisle Bay. You can do it for free and the guys at the Boatyard can tell you where it is at, but it is a little swim from the shore and I would be fearful of being wore out by the time you get there and back swimming. We took Barbados Blue tour and it was great.

Bathsheba was kind of a let down but I would say to go there so you can say you went. Only go in a rented car as a taxi rate would kill you. Bus would take you too, but how long who knows. We rented a car while we were the from Stouts car rental. DEFFINATELY spring for the GPS. I would NOT have wanted to find my way around down there with out it and I own a trucking company.

We didn't make flower cave and the far North end and wish we would have had time.

Sand is soft and white. Flying fish sandwiches are great. Banks beer is probably the best beer I have had. I changed my mind and decided to try to drink them out of Banks instead of Rum. Yeah, that didn't work either :hysterical:

With a 2 for 1 exchange rate, don't fall over at your bar or food bill. I didn't think for a tourist island that prices were too out of line for prepared food. Now the grocery store is another thing. I thought food there was quite expensive but I am a tightwad like that. Don't expect much for US brand names on food there. There will be some, but there will be also quite a bit you haven't heard of. Fish and meat at the store we went to we decided to pass on as it really didn't look that fresh.

Great time and good memories for the family. I would go back in a heart beat.

Kevin

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
RCI trade with HGVC points. I think I got lucky. We found the trade like 4 or 5 months before we traveled there. It is a beautiful resort! We drove by the other resorts you can trade with RCI on Barbados and this by far is the best. The boatyard and swimming with the turtles was the big hit on this visit. Flying fish sandwich is the best and there isn't a better beer than Banks!

Good Luck! you will love it there!

Kevin

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Stayed at The Crane in 2010. It is a fantastic exchange.

DaveC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the Crane. It's very nice. The ac did not work in my unit but it was breezy enough that I didn't need it. The resort is away from everything. I should have gotten a car. There is a small restaurant and bar down the street which was really good. I'm a beer snob and I liked banks beer. It's really cheap too. it was 3 for $10. The food was good too. I definitely recommend a car. I didn't get one which was a mistake. The pizzas at the Italian place at the Crane are really good. The Oistens fish fry was great. You must go to that. Also, the bed was oddly high off the floor and I'm 6'4".

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Headed to Barbados today with the family and inlaws for 9 days! Traded in to the Crane back at the end of March for a 2Br week then for the rest of the time we used Hhonors pts for the hotel on the island. I think we got lucky to find the Crane when we did. I know its the summer and a little less desireable, but is the only time kids are off from school and done with baseball so they can travel with us easily. Any pointers on what to do while we are there? We will report back when we return and through out if possible.

Question of the day..... is it possible to drink an island out of Rum???? I will let you know...:banana:

Kevin

Can I ask, did you get the Crane thru RCI or II?

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
Yep, thru RCI. AC is over rated there. Even in July it was decent there with the breezes.

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
I miss banks beer already!