• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Pick a Cellphone Plan for Traveling Abroad

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
How to Pick a Cellphone Plan for Traveling Abroad - by Seth Kugel/ Travel/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"As a general rule, I’m against an alien takeover of our planet — unless they bring along one thing: a global wireless system that would simplify the endlessly complex world of options for using cellphones abroad.

Prices for calling, texting and using data overseas continue to fall, but the larger system relies on a haphazard and incomplete set of agreements among wireless companies from every country on earth. That makes finding the cheapest option that will (mostly) satisfy your needs still a complex task, depending on where you’re going, for how long and with whom.

First, let’s go over some basic rules for saving..."

21FURGAL-master675.jpg

Giacomo Gambineri

Richard

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found the T-mobile data coverage to be more or less adequate for covered destinations. I just got back from Germany, and used it extensively there. Speeds were surprisingly good.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may not be on point, but here is what I did:

On a recent travel very far away, I signed up for skype and paid $10 for their calling plan. This allowed me to use my cell phone where I had internet service. The calls went through flawlessly (depending, of course, on the strength of the WIFI).

I called home every day, and still have about $4 remaining in the account to use for future travels. I did not need to join a new plan, change my cell phone or its calling plan, did not add international calling, or any other things. I just used skype.

This also worked for my colleague who called her family through her tablet. I think she used the visual calling too. I only used voice calling.

I hope this is helpful. You may not need all of the bells and whistles after all.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I found the best option was to buy a cheap phone that uses SIM cards and then just buy prepaid SIM cards in the foreign country. We did this mainly just so we could communicate with each other while in another country rather than to communicate with people at home or to conduct any business. This way we could go do our own things and meetup later without strict timelines etc. Then just use the wifi at the hotel/timeshare with laptops for everything else.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you have ATT plan, I find its Passport Program to be quite useful and convenient. For $30, you get 120 MB DATA, free text and free access to ATT wifi network for 30 days. DH is oversea this week and then we will be going to Cayman at the end of June, all within 30 days. So this would work out quite nicely to supplement occasions where there is no wifi access. We also use Skype to call home. There is an option to receive cell phone calls via Skype as well (not Skype voice call) but it will cost extra.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
If you have ATT plan, I find its Passport Program to be quite useful and convenient. For $30, you get 120 MB DATA, free text and free access to ATT wifi network for 30 days. DH is oversea this week and then we will be going to Cayman at the end of June, all within 30 days. So this would work out quite nicely to supplement occasions where there is no wifi access. We also use Skype to call home. There is an option to receive cell phone calls via Skype as well (not Skype voice call) but it will cost extra.

I had that plan in Mexico in April. I never knowingly used the data, relying on WiFi and Skype for calls and the free texting. Somehow I exceeded the 120 MB and was billed another $30. No one from ATT could tell me how or why that happened and all I could figure is some push data from some apps updated without my knowledge or action. I will not use Passport again. :rolleyes:

BTW, the hotspot was useless as well since it's only in three Mexican cities and not in Puerto Vallarta which is where I was for the week. Didn't work in the Mexico City airport either even though it was listed as a city that had hot spots.

Cheers

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Younger dd is in Europe right now. She's not using a phone for calls. She is using email and What'sApp to text.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I found the best option was to buy a cheap phone that uses SIM cards and then just buy prepaid SIM cards in the foreign country. We did this mainly just so we could communicate with each other while in another country rather than to communicate with people at home or to conduct any business. This way we could go do our own things and meetup later without strict timelines etc. Then just use the wifi at the hotel/timeshare with laptops for everything else.

Ditto on this. I bought a Go phone from Verizon and bought a prepaid card when I traveled to the Caribbean. No worries about roaming, etc.