• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ireland...car rentals?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Besides driving on left are all rental cars steering wheel on right and left-handed gear shift too? Is it better to pay a premium for automatic trans so that shifting gears would be one less thing to worry about? Any recommended rental car websites for Ireland? TIA for advice!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Having driven in England+Ireland, I recommend springing for an automatic.

It's relatively easy to get the hang of driving on the left w/a steering wheel on the right.
... Just try to remember that when the GPS says, "Make a U-Turn," you turn right. :annoyed:
But IMHO, using the "wrong" hand to shift is tricky and you don't need the distraction.

For rentals, compare AutoEurope & Europe by Car to the US-based search engines like Kayak.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Automatics are not always available. Reserve in advance. Also you should know that the roads are NARROW and lanes are not always well marked. Parking is tight, so get the smallest car that will fit your party and luggage. If you have a GPS that accepts map cards, those can be bought on eBay. If not, I'd strongly suggest renting one with the car.

Jim

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Also, if you are in the habit of letting your credit card insurance cover the vehicle itself, you can't in Ireland. Ireland is one of the few countries where credit card insurance won't cover you.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you have a GPS that accepts map cards, those can be bought on eBay. If not, I'd strongly suggest renting one with the car.

Much easier these days to just get a local cell data plan for your phone and use a program like Waze, which will be much less expensive than paying the rental company for a GPS and easier than carrying another device from home. And a cell with local data can be much more useful for lots of other purposes, as well.

Sent from my iPad

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What about gas?

A few rental cars are diesel. Is that type of petrol cheaper or more pricey? Is regular unleaded the way to go in Ireland...or diesel? Thx again folks!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
A few rental cars are diesel. Is that type of petrol cheaper or more pricey? Is regular unleaded the way to go in Ireland...or diesel? Thx again folks!

Diesel is more expensive because of the view that Diesel engines are more efficient however modern petrol engines are now just as efficient as diesel that there's little reason to opt for diesel.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Also, if you are in the habit of letting your credit card insurance cover the vehicle itself, you can't in Ireland. Ireland is one of the few countries where credit card insurance won't cover you.

Not so. If you have a Master Card World Card, some of the issuing banks will provide coverage. The rental company will require that you obtain proof in writing, which you can get.

We didn't purchase insurance on our Thrifty rental in Dublin. It worked out fine. Our issuing bank is Capital One.

alanmj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Automatics are not always available. Reserve in advance. Also you should know that the roads are NARROW and lanes are not always well marked. Parking is tight, so get the smallest car that will fit your party and luggage. If you have a GPS that accepts map cards, those can be bought on eBay. If not, I'd strongly suggest renting one with the car.

Jim

You didn't say how long you will be renting a car. GPS rental from a car rental company is EXTORTIONATE. If you take a car for a week, it is far cheaper to buy a cheap GPS with the appropriate maps installed (in this case Europe or UK/Ireland) than to rent a GPS unit.

I was looking to buy updated North American maps for my Garmin. Turns out to only cost 20% more to purchase a brand new Garmin than to update the maps on my old one... Go figure... :wall:

alanmj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Check VERY CAREFULLY your auto insurance if using a credit card. I have AmEx Platinum and it covers auto insurance in Ireland, as does my CIBC Gold card, BUT, you cannot take any of the extra insurances at all or that invalidates the credit card insurance. Also, the CC insurance is only good for 40 days. So one time we had to return a car and get a different one as we had a 45 day rental. (In fact in Ireland you can only get a 30 day rental - any more than that is defined as a lease under Irish legislation.)

alanmj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides driving on left are all rental cars steering wheel on right and left-handed gear shift too? Is it better to pay a premium for automatic trans so that shifting gears would be one less thing to worry about? Any recommended rental car websites for Ireland? TIA for advice!

I've worked in Dublin for the last 11 years, but my home is in Canada so I've been going backwards-and-forwards regularly. Rather than own a car, I have always rented - far cheaper and no hassle regarding parking at the airport etc. You can get the smaller vehicles, A and B class, for less than 10 euro a day - down to less than 5 euro a day - outside of July and August. If you are lucky, or if you are say a Hertz Gold car member, you get a free upgrade to a C class.

The two expensive items are CDW, around 12-15 euro a day, and second driver, around 10-15 euro a day. Try to avoid both of those.

Don't worry about driving on the left, but you are right in thinking of an automatic. I'm from the UK and am left-handed, so driving on the left comes naturally to me. My wife, a right-handed German, had a LOT of trouble with changing gears, and at the beginning often put it in the wrong gear or opened the window... :D

So if you've never driven on the left, get an automatic.

The one most difficult part for someone who has never driven on the left is negotiating a roundabout (ie traffic circle). Most North Americans are confused by them anyway, so driving one clockwise rather than anti-clockwise throws a lot of people off... The most difficult part is coming OFF the roundabout! I've seen it so many times that drivers come off into the oncoming traffic.

Yes, the roads in the countryside can be very small and the high hedges means than you don't know what's coming towards you. So keep tight to the hedges as you go around esp. left-turns - but watch out for pedestrians.

Ireland has a very high proportional death rate on its roads, around 400/annum for a population of 4M. Around 1/4 to 1/3 of those deaths are pedestrians, often walking home at night from the pub. So my advice is, if you want to drink, it is safer to drive home drunk than walk home drunk... ;)

Finally, I've almost always rented from Hertz, as I have a Hertz Gold card. Easier to rent from a company that has its cars at the airport, and especially allows drop-offs at the airport, than a smaller one than drives you miles away to get your car. The issue here is not getting the car, it is dropping it off - you don't want the hassle of being in the middle of nowhere with bags waiting for the company's single shuttle van to take you to the airport when you're on a tight schedule.

Hertz is a little bit more expensive, but you get newer cars and far better response to problems if there is a breakdown as they have offices all over Ireland.

One final point to note, you are not allowed to drive a rental vehicle off the island. Yes, you can go to Northern Ireland, but you cannot take a car ferry to the UK or France. A bit of a pain if you are on a European tour...

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In Scotland, we went for the automatic. It was enough to deal with everything else and at least having an automatic made it a bit easier.

BTW- we took out all the insurance through Hertz because a lot of credit cards do not cover everything - or anything IRELAND OR ITALY. We bit the bullet and paid the money, expensive as it is. Do you want to deal with a big problem when in a foreign country?

We had friends who went to Ireland who learned the hard way after a small accident in Ireland that they should have done the same. Next trip out there- they didn't even rent a car after their experience and financial loss.

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Scotland, we went for the automatic. It was enough to deal with everything else and at least having an automatic made it a bit easier.

BTW- we took out all the insurance through Hertz because a lot of credit cards do not cover everything - or anything IRELAND OR ITALY. We bit the bullet and paid the money, expensive as it is. Do you want to deal with a big problem when in a foreign country?

We had friends who went to Ireland who learned the hard way after a small accident in Ireland that they should have done the same. Next trip out there- they didn't even rent a car after their experience and financial loss.

Agree with this.
I managed to hit the side view mirror on my rental years ago. Apparently, this is a common occurrence in the UK/Ireland for drivers not used to driving on the opposite side of the road. Thankfully, we had full insurance and it was paid. I don't remember the price, but it was expensive enough to justify full insurance.

Last year in Ireland, I did not rent a car.

We had a driver pick us up at the Dublin ferry docks (we trained & ferried in from London) to take us to Powerscourt. It was 90 Euros. We took the shuttle car from Powerscourt to the little town of Enniskerry. Sometimes we biked (free bikes from the hotel) or walked, but due to the rain, this was not always possible

We took one tour directly from Powerscourt to Wicklow Gap and Glendalough, but that's the only tour from Dublin that stops there.

We took a taxi back to the Shelbourne in Dublin for about 45 Euros. From Dublin, we were able to take a day trip to the Blarney Stone, Rock of Cashel and Cork City. The pickup/drop off was just a few blocks from the Shelbourne.
We could have done some more trips, but we decided we wanted to spend more time at the Museum of Ireland.

I don't think I'll drive again in Eire or the UK. For me, it's just too anxiety ridden for me. So, we will use trains, drivers, busses, bikes and our feet.

-

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You didn't say how long you will be renting a car. GPS rental from a car rental company is EXTORTIONATE. If you take a car for a week, it is far cheaper to buy a cheap GPS with the appropriate maps installed (in this case Europe or UK/Ireland) than to rent a GPS unit.

I was looking to buy updated North American maps for my Garmin. Turns out to only cost 20% more to purchase a brand new Garmin than to update the maps on my old one... Go figure... :wall:

Or...FREE with a cell phone and Waze. You just need a mobile data plan, which many people want anyway...and which will likely not cost more than $30ish, if not less, for your trip.

Sent from my iPad

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for taking the time to give such good advice. I don't plan to drink in pubs at night or drive at night. I've rented cars in the Bahamas thus a bit of experience with left side driving. I don't like Hertz in the US but will reconsider them if they're that good in Ireland. Also looking at Sixt. We're going to start out with our first day and night in Malahide to get over jetlag before doing a long drive to the West. I've only been to Dublin and Howth on a short prior trip so I'm very excited to be planning an 11 day trip. So all the advice here is very much appreciated. Thx again! :hi:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We just returned from Ireland, we used the Leap card for buses and the Dart train. You can get to Dublin and take guided tours to other parts of Ireland too. We never rent a car in Ireland!