• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nightly stay

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we had enough 2011 points to reserve one night Sat. Nov. 26th at the Long Wharf in Newport RI. We would like to arrive a day earlier and pay (cash) for Friday night. How can this be done? I called Wyndham and they say nothing is available and gave me the number to the resorts front desk. The front desk said they can't help and gave me the number to Xtra Holidays. Well Xtra Holiday's can't sell me a room for one night. I never imagined I could call a resort and not be able to book a room, if I were paying for it. Is there anyway I can pay to add Friday night to my reservation? We are a family and have a two bedroom unit booked on the 26th, any ideas on how we may manage to book the 25th as well? Thank you, Sue

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we had enough 2011 points to reserve one night Sat. Nov. 26th at the Long Wharf in Newport RI. We would like to arrive a day earlier and pay (cash) for Friday night. How can this be done? I called Wyndham and they say nothing is available and gave me the number to the resorts front desk. The front desk said they can't help and gave me the number to Xtra Holidays. Well Xtra Holiday's can't sell me a room for one night. I never imagined I could call a resort and not be able to book a room, if I were paying for it. Is there anyway I can pay to add Friday night to my reservation? We are a family and have a two bedroom unit booked on the 26th, any ideas on how we may manage to book the 25th as well? Thank you, Sue

Hi Sue,

I guess I don't understand the question. If they don't have a room they can't rent you one whether you are paying in cash, points or gold coins. Am I missing something?

If I were you I would probably make a backup reservation at a hotel for the extra night but keep checking for cancellations - especially right at the 15 day mark.

Last edited:

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, when I called Wyndham they said they had nothing, but at first didn't understand I was willing to pay for the night and was not trying to use points. That's when they gave me the direct number to the front desk of the resort and told me they could help me. The front desk told me I had to call Extra Holiday's. I asked them though if they could look and see if there were availability for the 25th. They said yes but I had to go through Etra Holiday's for the reservation. When I called Extra Holiday's he said he could not reserve one night. So how do I reserve one night, if no one is willing to work with me? Sue

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could Extra Holidays book 2 nights for you. If so, maybe you could cancel your one night through Wyndham and get both through EH? Might be risky, but might be doable.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep checking for cancellations. 5-10 times a day until you get what you need. Maybe try a different Wyndham Newport resort as well.

Try to rent the one night from an owner.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually RCI has available the week starting on the 25th. I only want the weekend,but I am thinking of booking the week and cancelling my one night using Wyndham points. The week would be through my non Wyndham RCI account using TPU's. So since RCI has the week available there does seem to be availability, only I can't purchase just one night. Interesting, because I was looking to pay cash for the one night. Thanks for all responses, Sue

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It is all different inventory.

It is not like a hotel that posts the same inventory on all different website, its own, travelocity, Funjet etc.....you get the idea.

For Timeshares each offering of availability is from a different pool. Wyndham, vs extra vacations, vs RCI weeks. It is all the same resort but different locations have different BUT Seperate inventory.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I find this interesting. I know it is what it is, I would have thought Wyndham would have the most inventory for its own resorts. Again thank you, Sue

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Longwharf and all of the Newport properties where build first and then Wyndham came in afterwards and sold remaining inventories. Current owners had to pay to convert to Wyndham points, and frankly a lot did not.

So you have some Wyndham inventory, some weeks owners depositing into RCI, some give to extra vacations (which is a rental arm of Wyndham and rents owners weeks (well tries) and who knows what else.

greenhalghm

Reaction score
I suggest trying the resort again. I've stayed here and did exactly what you are trying to do, stayed on night on points and one night cash. Booked the cash night directly with the resort, but I did this a few weeks before the reservation, not sure if that makes a difference.

Kind Regards,
Mark

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You could also check Craigslist to see if any of those renters have the date(s) you want. Using TPU's through RCI doesn't make sense because it's for the whole week vs one night. The 25th is Thanksgiving so that's why the reservation system is stripped out of their pile of inventory. Be prepared however for the renter to charge you the $99 Guest Confirmation fee in addition to whatever the point costs are going to be. A 1-night break-out is tough to get, no matter who has it and it will be costly. Sandy is spot-in with the explanation of different buckets of inventory. You've got a broad mix of owners at that location between WYN points, fixed week, EH hand-offs, RCI depositors, etc.

Here's a CL ad that bubbled to the top of the list when I searched R.I. with "Wyndham" as the criteria.

Good luck!

Fine print: I have no affiliation with this renter.