• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DEN 38 min layover on United-January

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just received notification from United on a flight change resulting in a 38 min layover in DEN for January flight. Original layover was 1 1/2 hrs. Is this doable? We will have our 4 month old (at the time) granddaughter with us which will slow us down a bit trying to de-board and get to connecting gate in a rush. I assume United will work with me but I wanted to ask for thoughts here first.

To add, original flight times have only changed slightly, not by 2+ hours to qualify for a refund.

Mark

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really if you'll be changing terminals, need to use the bathroom, or arrive a few minutes late. I'd call and ask them see what they offer.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It'll prolly take you at least 10 minutes to deplane, and the gate for your next leg closes 15 minutes before departure. So, at best you'll have 13 minutes to get there. Not gonna happen.

I did once make such a connection at O'Hare, but that was with a full-trot, gate to gate.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do consider that the airlines also pad the travel time. They always seem to arrive early these days as long as they take off on time. Even with that, 38 minutes is pretty short for just about any airport. They will already have started boarding the next plane by that time. I would look at your options online and then call United and tell them what new flights you want instead. Even consider different airports.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I don't know where you're flying to or from but for me Denver has always been an easy airport to get through. I have always been in the B concourse. It's long but straight and they have moving sidewalks. Yes, that's a short amount of time but with no delays you should make it. I always pick a seat as close to the front when I have a short connection time. Many times, my departure gate was only five or six gates away from the arrival gate.

On the other hand, I had one change on me, not in Denver and I called United and they found me a better connection, no charge. That connection time was changed to 30 minutes. Give them a call, they are easy to work with.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
At minimum you want an hour connection time, more in the winter. I don't know why airlines sell tickets with less time. I travel from O'Hare and allow two hours in the winter going anywhere since weather delays are common. United will rebook you for no charge if you call and explain the situation.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You probably have a better chance getting to your next flight than your bags will.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
United in Denver is regularly late (especially in winter). If I were alone (so I could run), and I got a seat at the front of the plane (to get off first), I might risk it. But I would recommend calling and at least inquiring if they'd switch your schedule.

LilyPond

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with calling UA for another option. There is so much that can disrupt your time and besides, travel can be stressful enough without having this weighing on you between now and your trip. :) I will say it is very likely that your arriving and connecting flights are in the same concourse, otherwise their computer systems probably wouldn't allow it as a connection option. You might ask them and get that clarification.

*When you call and someone answers, listen to the tone of their voice. If they sound gruff, frustrated, irritated, then don't say a word and hang up, then call back and get someone else. Call back until someone who sounds friendly answers the phone. Seriously.

* I have found if you can express your self calmly, respectfully, no blaming, no complaining, just honest "Is there any way you can help me??" type of thing then people will really try to help you out.

Are you by chance a UA frequent flyer member? That can make a difference regarding how far they will go to help you vs 'Sorry there is nothing I can do unless you pay us money' type of answer. If you aren't, join before you call them. Seriously.

They might, might offer to move you to the front of coach. Would that work for you?

They might, might offer to move you into first class - I doubt it, but they might. Would that work for you?

If they won't change your seat but will change your flight, or if you really want a flight change instead, maybe say things like "I know this sounds strange and probably no one ever asks this, but could you please help me to make my travel take longer on a flight I have hahaha!" something like that can always make a positive difference. If you can get them to see your situation with understanding then often people will go out of their way to help you.

Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes!!

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
They might, might offer to move you to the front of coach. Would that work for you?

They might, might offer to move you into first class - I doubt it, but they might. Would that work for you?

Forget this suggestion. No one will offer to move you to either of these sections without you paying extra--unless you have status that gives you E+ benefits or upgrade-to-first-class instruments, assuming there are seats and upgrades available.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just call them and ask for other options. It should not cost you anything to change, that is if there are other options.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

I did call United and declined the proposed flight changes. I was offered to switch, even one day before or after at no charge. This would have worked for us but I didn't see anything that was appealing. All I saw was ridiculously short layovers or extremely long ones. They refunded the tickets. Bad part is that I got them for a great price. But now maybe I can find some nonstop flights, even if I have to pay a little (hopefully not a lot) more. I will say that the hold times were very very long both of the times I contacted them concerning this matter.

Mark

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When faced with a choice between a layover that's too long or too short, I choose too long.
I manage to while away the time reading or playing games on a tablet.
I once spent a few hours napping in a chair, after setting an alarm.