• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Tickets to "Hamilton" - NYC

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Beags,

When you go to the gravesite - as you face Trinity Church, there are gravesites on both the north and southside of Trinity. Hamilton's gravesite is in the graveyard to your right. You will find other notables buries there too, including Robert Fulton of Steam-engine fame. Be sure to check out the graveyard on the northside also to see some Revolutionary War gravesites.

For more info see http://joshblackman.com/blog/2012/1...der-hamilton-and-other-revolutionary-leaders/

Also, since you're in the area - it's just a short walk to 54 Pearl Street to Fraunces Tavern and Museum where General George Washington gave his farewell address to his Revolutionary War Troops. You can have a drink and a bite to eat if hungry. For more info, see
http://frauncestavernmuseum.org/history-and-education/history-of-fraunces-tavern/

Also I think you would enjoy a visit to see the Merchant's House Museum at 29 East Fourth Street, New York, NY 10003.
From their website: "Considered one of the finest surviving examples of architecture from the period, the Merchant’s House has been recognized as a National Historic Landmark (one of only 2,400) and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In New York City, it has been awarded landmark status not only for its 1832 late-Federal brick exterior but also for its Greek revival interior rooms..."

For more info see http://merchantshouse.org/

Have a great trip when you return

Best regards,

Richard

Richard,

Sorry ! Somehow, I missed this !

Thank you, thank you. I just printed this out and tucked it into my little (and well-worn) pocket guide to NYC.

It's a keeper !

With appreciation,

Jeannie

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Richard,

Sorry ! Somehow, I missed this !

Thank you, thank you. I just printed this out and tucked it into my little (and well-worn) pocket guide to NYC.

It's a keeper !

With appreciation,

Jeannie

Hi Jesnnie,

I just noticed that I gave you incorrect info about Hamilton 's gravesite . As you face Trinity Church his gravesite will be on your Left (Southside of the Church )

Best Regards

Richard

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jesnnie,

I just noticed that I gave you incorrect info about Hamilton 's gravesite . As you face Trinity Church his gravesite will be on your Left (Southside of the Church )

Best Regards

Richard

Thank you !

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
PBS is currently airing an excellent program, "Hamilton's America". Well presented on both the artistic and historic perspectives. There are many, many show scenes as well.

So, if you're undecided about seeing the play, this may help.

Just an FYI.

-

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBS is currently airing an excellent program, "Hamilton's America". Well presented on both the artistic and historic perspectives. There are many, many show scenes as well.

So, if you're undecided about seeing the play, this may help.

Just an FYI.

-

+1 - saw it last night - it was excellent!

Beags, I learned something. New while watching the
Show - I didn't realize that Eliza is buried next to her husband in Trinity Churchyard. I'll have to revisit the cemetary on my next visit to NYC and pay my respects.

Hope you'vr had a chance to finish Ron Chernow's Book.

Best Regards.

Richard

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
PBS is currently airing an excellent program, "Hamilton's America", both for artistic and historic perspectives. There are many, many show scenes as well.

I saw it last night. Excellent program.
It made me more interested in Hamilton's story than I thought I'd be.
I looked up the Burr-Hamilton duel. Fascinating read.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw it last night. Excellent program.
It made me more interested in Hamilton's story than I thought I'd be.
I looked up the Burr-Hamilton duel. Fascinating read.

Hi Talent321,

I think you would also enjoy Ron Chernow's Book "Alexander Hamilton"

Richard

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
According to a line from the last song in "Hamilton" (who lives, who dies, who tells your story), Angelica is buried next to Hamilton as well at Trinity Church.

Since it's Eliza telling us that while she's still alive, it seems she knew about their special relationship. And that had made me wonder where is Eliza buried. So she chose to be buried next to Hamilton as well. But she had long forgiven him way before that. Eliza after all was the "best of wives and best of women."

Taking the Chernow book with me on my next vacation.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not just Broadway tickets are expensive. I went back and looked at my email, we paid $554 for 2 tickets to each of the shows here at Vegas for Elton John, Celine Dion and Shania Twain.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Since it's Eliza telling us that while she's still alive, it seems she knew about their special relationship.

Probably. One would expect sisters to share secrets. Elizabeth certainly knew of his affair with Maria Reynolds. That became very public after certain letters were obtained from her by James Monroe, passed onto Thomas Jefferson (a political adversary), and somehow 'found' their way into the public domain.

In a pamphlet entitled, "Observations on Certain Documents," Hamilton stated: "I can never cease to condemn myself for the pang which it may inflict in a bosom eminently entitled to all my gratitude, fidelity, and love."

See: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/alexander-hamiltons-adultery-and-apology-18021947/?no-ist

Last edited:

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the Reynolds Pamphlet... is that the same thing?

(And with Jefferson and Madison gleefully singing, "he's never gonna be president now")

I hope you diehard Hamilton fans also saw Lin Manuel-Miranda on SNL, riffing on "I'm not throwing away my shot."

But back to poor Eliza. She certainly had a lot to bear. I read somewhere that she was left in dire financial circumstances (and with 8 children) after Hamilton's death, and that she wisely waited until after Jefferson's presidency was over to request reparations that Hamilton had previously turned down for fighting in the Revolution.

Last edited:

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lin-Manuel Miranda Will Play “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico

https://www.caribjournal.com/2018/03/06/lin-manuel-miranda-will-play-hamilton-puerto-rico/

By Alexander Britell / The Caribbean Journal / March 6, 2018

“In a huge boost for the island of Puerto Rico as it makes its post-storm recovery, Broadway superstar Lin-Manuel Miranda will be reprising his role as Alexander Hamilton in a production on the island.

Miranda had ended his Broadway run in the role in 2016.

It will be a three-week run from January 8-27, 2019 at the University of Puerto Rico’s Teatro UPR in San Juan, with the goal to help restore art funding for Puerto Rico and drive much-needed tourism to the island.

“Hamilton,” which premiered in 2015, has been an unprecedented sensation, with a record 16 Tony nominations....”

522DBC7D-9A3F-4195-8ED8-7BA1C312869D.jpeg

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
In essence, Miranda’s mounting of Hamilton in Puerto Rico is a way of revisiting that community and that response. “It was the most creatively and emotionally fulfilling week of my life. So I knew I was going to bring Hamilton back and I knew I was going to play Hamilton because I just wanted to feel that again,” says Miranda through tears. “It’s coming at a time of great use. The goal is basically to have one third of the tickets be $10 and affordable to Puerto Rico on the island and really wildly overprice the other tickets for tourists so that that money can restore arts funding in Puerto Rico.”

http://www.playbill.com/article/lin...view-with-oprah-about-hamilton-in-puerto-rico

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased Broadway Across America season tickets. $610 for 7 Broadway plays. The 2018-2019 season includes Hamilton! The deal was purchase 2017-2018 season and you'll be guaranteed the Hamilton season (tickets). So far my kids have seen The King and I, School of Rock, and Finding Neverland. They absolutely love it.

My kids and husband know all the Hamilton songs.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi Talent321,

I think you would also enjoy Ron Chernow's Book "Alexander Hamilton"

Richard
It's an outstanding book, though for a plodding reader like me, it is also a project as the page count is around 1,000 pages. Regardless, I came away from reading Chernow's biography with a huge appreciation of Alexander Hamilton who, unlike many of the Founding Fathers, grew up in abject poverty on the island of Nevis and rose to the pinnacle of American society and politics through his own relentless hard work and boundless physical and intellectual energy.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lin-Manuel Miranda Brings ‘Hamilton’ to a Troubled but Appreciative Puerto Rico
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/12/theater/hamilton-puerto-rico-lin-manuel-miranda.html

By Michael Paulson and Charo Henríquez / Theater / The New York Times / nytimes.com / Jan 12, 2019

SAN JUAN, P.R. — “Lin-Manuel Miranda only had to speak his character’s name — Alexander Hamilton — to bring the crowd to its feet.

It was Friday night in San Juan — the first performance, and also the opening night, of a 17-day run of “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico — and as soon as the crowd caught sight of the show’s 38-year-old creator and star, it drenched him in applause, forcing a momentary pause, the actors frozen mid-scene while the patrons unleashed a storm of appreciation born, of course, of fandom, but also of something deeper.

“Today Puerto Rico gave me more energy than ever in my life in that moment,” Mr. Miranda, speaking in Spanish, told reporters after the show. “I’ve never felt anything like that.”

Hamilton” arrives in San Juan at a time when Puerto Rico is struggling — still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Maria, facing chronic economic challenges and political turmoil, and now confronting an outbreak of violence that claimed the life of a well-known trap singer on Thursday.

Mr. Miranda, born and raised in New York City to parents from Puerto Rico, is devoted to the island; he is hoping that the run of “Hamilton” here will call attention to both its needs and its riches. About 20 members of Congress, in Puerto Rico visiting areas damaged by the hurricane, came to see the show on Sunday.

“People are going to come to Puerto Rico because of ‘Hamilton,’ and hopefully spend a lot of money here,” Mr. Miranda said on Friday. “But they’re also going to see blue tarps, and they’re also going to see how much work there is to be done.”....”
3B1F742A-7868-4866-AE2E-B0BE4BF43BDC.jpeg
Lin-Manuel Miranda raised the Puerto Rican flag at the end of the premiere of “Hamilton” at the Centro de Bellas Artes Luis A. Ferré in San Juan.

Photo Credit: Erika P. Rodriguez for The New York Times

jbiza

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's an outstanding book, though for a plodding reader like me, it is also a project as the page count is around 1,000 pages. Regardless, I came away from reading Chernow's biography with a huge appreciation of Alexander Hamilton who, unlike many of the Founding Fathers, grew up in abject poverty on the island of Nevis and rose to the pinnacle of American society and politics through his own relentless hard work and boundless physical and intellectual energy.

This is a recent NY Times article on Hamilton from a different perspective:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/theater/the-haunting-of-lin-manuel-miranda-ishmael-reed.html :ponder:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Well now. The article is revisionist history at its finest--and abjectly false in its assertion that "Hamilton was a slave trader". He was nothing of the sort--ever. It is true that Hamilton--the bastard son of an heir to a wealthy landowning family in Scotland--made his early living in the sugar trade on the island of St. Croix. The sugar trade in the West Indies was wholly dependent on slavery, but Hamilton was never a "slave trader" or slave owner, and he steadfastly was opposed to slavery throughout his life. Calling Hamilton a "slave trader" because he clerked in a trading company that sold sugar is akin to accusing Armani of prostitution because high-priced call girls wear his clothing.

Hamilton was one of the great Founding Fathers, and utterly brilliant. Was he perfect? Far from it. His career and reputation were deeply compromised by his scandalous affair with Maria Reynolds--a scandal that was used by his political enemies, including Jefferson and Monroe--to embarrass him and, more grievously, Rachel Hamilton. Beyond that, he was arrogantly dismissive of his political enemies. But his service to our country--as Washington's aide de camp during the Revolutionary War, as a young general in the decisive battle at Yorktown, as the most prolific writer and contributor to The Federalist Papers which greatly influenced the forging of our Constitution, as one of the youngest delegates to the Constitutional Convention, and then as our first and greatest Secretary of the Treasury cannot be denied, and should not be besmirched by Ishmael Reed, who describes himself as a satirist, author, and activist. He is most certainly not a historian, either in word, deed, or qualification.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am fascinated by the business side of this successful musical.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/theater/hamilton-inc-the-path-to-a-billion-dollar-show.html
and
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/magazine/the-ceo-of-hamilton-inc.html

In the Jeffery Seller article (CEO), he mentions how when ticket blocks are being released in NYC, a single bot has grabbed 20,000 tickets in an instant. Astounding! That's one of the reasons prices are still so high for NYC productions. Ticket resellers are making a fortune.

Here in San Francisco, we have a second touring production arriving in three weeks and it will be here for 8 months. Tickets are still available at most price points directly from the theater. Only the $101 tickets seem hard to come by, all the next tier up price points still have good availability. Here a purchaser can only buy 8 tickets in one transaction, tickets are held at will call, and a person must pick them up with photo ID.

jbiza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well now. The article is revisionist history at its finest--and abjectly false in its assertion that "Hamilton was a slave trader". He was nothing of the sort--ever. It is true that Hamilton--the bastard son of an heir to a wealthy landowning family in Scotland--made his early living in the sugar trade on the island of St. Croix. The sugar trade in the West Indies was wholly dependent on slavery, but Hamilton was never a "slave trader" or slave owner, and he steadfastly was opposed to slavery throughout his life. Calling Hamilton a "slave trader" because he clerked in a trading company that sold sugar is akin to accusing Armani of prostitution because high-priced call girls wear his clothing.

Hamilton was one of the great Founding Fathers, and utterly brilliant. Was he perfect? Far from it. His career and reputation were deeply compromised by his scandalous affair with Maria Reynolds--a scandal that was used by his political enemies, including Jefferson and Monroe--to embarrass him and, more grievously, Rachel Hamilton. Beyond that, he was arrogantly dismissive of his political enemies. But his service to our country--as Washington's aide de camp during the Revolutionary War, as a young general in the decisive battle at Yorktown, as the most prolific writer and contributor to The Federalist Papers which greatly influenced the forging of our Constitution, as one of the youngest delegates to the Constitutional Convention, and then as our first and greatest Secretary of the Treasury cannot be denied, and should not be besmirched by Ishmael Reed, who describes himself as a satirist, author, and activist. He is most certainly not a historian, either in word, deed, or qualification.

The article does reference a ¨historian¨ though who likes the musical ¨Hamilton¨ & sees Lin -Manuel Miranda as a ¨genius¨, but still ¨finds the show problematic in its portrayals of Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, the Founding Fathers, & the institution of slavery.¨

Did Hamilton buy & sell slaves for his in-laws? :ponder:

Another historian view:
Review Essay: Race-Conscious Casting and the Erasure of the Black Past in Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton
Lyra D. Monteiro
The Public Historian
Vol. 38 No. 1, February 2016

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I recently heard an interview about David Hosack (1769–1835), the physician who attended Hamilton after the duel. Hosack has been all but forgotten by history, but in his day, he was was a well-known botanist and medical doctor. He was friends with both Hamilton and Burr, and named his first son Alexander. He did not see the duel itself (to avoid complicity), but waited nearby in case medical attention was needed.

Hosack established the first botanic garden in the U.S. (Elgin Gardens, where Rockefeller Center is now). He founded the New York Horticultural Society, the first such organization in America. John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and the Marquis de Lafayette were honorary members.

He established his own medical school and set one up at Rutgers. He was one of the first physicians to use a stethoscope, performed the first successful ligature of an aneurysm the femoral artery, promoted smallpox vaccination, and advanced treatment of yellow fever. He also established a a maternity clinic for poor pregnant women which evolved into what is today an obstetrical dispensary at New York Hospital.

In 1888, Hosack's remains were moved to the Trinity Church Cemetery, where Hamilton is also buried.

-- Source: Wikipedia.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Nevis, the Ultimate “Hamilton” Experience

05305F19-D4C2-4A4E-8E07-38574C58A18D.jpeg

Hamilton’s childhood home in Nevis.
Photo: Caribbean Journal

0E6A009E-5D3D-4052-9460-28443F66DEBE.jpeg

An "Alexander" suite at the Four Seasons Nevis.
Photo: Caribbean Journal