• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Book Lovers and Hilton Head Island

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
One of the best kept secrets on Hilton Head Island is the Used Book Shop located in the Hilton Head Library at 11 Beach City Road, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926.

The quality of the selection is excellent and the prices are very reasonable, less than $5.

I've been to many used book stores and library book sales - Hilton Head's Used Book Shop outshines most of them. I always make a point to go and browse their selection when I visit Hilton Head.

For information regarding library hours, see http://www.beaufortcountylibrary.org/branches/hiltonhead

Richard

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! We're headed to HH in November and will definitely check this out.
Deb

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I will also go check it out our next trip.

Hilton Head must be the Used Stuff Capital of the Universe.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

When we visited Hilton Head a couple of years ago in November, it was unseasonably cold. We went to Goodwill off Mathews Road and my wife bought a great winter coat for $19. She was thrilled. Great selection at Goodwill too.

Richard

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to remember this for the future. My 8yo started school today - normally she starts after Labor Day which gives us the trade advantage to get to HHI when everyone else is in school. She told me today she wants to go back to HHI to go to Lawton Stables to see Lily the deer, the dolphins etc. She's the type who loves libraries, museums, so we'll add this to our to do list. Seems like everything is better on HHI.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of the best kept secrets on Hilton Head Island is the Used Book Shop located in the Hilton Head Library at 11 Beach City Road, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926.

The quality of the selection is excellent and the prices are very reasonable, less than $5.

I've been to many used book stores and library book sales - Hilton Head's Used Book Shop outshines most of them. I always make a point to go and browse their selection when I visit Hilton Head.

For information regarding library hours, see http://www.beaufortcountylibrary.org/branches/hiltonhead

Richard

Forgot to add that when you enter the Library, the Used Book Shop will be on your Left.

Richard

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the store has a greater selection, but we get tons of books in most any city at Salvation Army or Goodwill stores. Typically paperbacks are $.75 to $1.25. Hardcovers are $2-3.00. For $5.00 I could get thousands of choices on my Kindle via Amazon, so $5.00 seems pricey for used books. I guess I'm awfully cheap!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Speaking of, can anybody recommend any certain local consignment shops for furniture? We've bought a second home on HHI and won't be selling this one up north for at least three years, so I'm thinking used is the way to go in the interim. Any and all suggestions welcome .... thanks!

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sure the store has a greater selection, but we get tons of books in most any city at Salvation Army or Goodwill stores. Typically paperbacks are $.75 to $1.25. Hardcovers are $2-3.00. For $5.00 I could get thousands of choices on my Kindle via Amazon, so $5.00 seems pricey for used books. I guess I'm awfully cheap!

Hi Polly,

I think you misread my post - I said books were "less than $5". Also my post was not about the quantity of books available but rather the quality of the books available for the discerning book reader. The majority of their books are hard cover, but they also have a paperback selection too.

Best regards,

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Speaking of, can anybody recommend any certain local consignment shops for furniture? We've bought a second home on HHI and won't be selling this one up north for at least three years, so I'm thinking used is the way to go in the interim. Any and all suggestions welcome .... thanks!

Hi Sue,

Where Are the Best Furniture Consignment Stores on Hilton Head? by Susan Jacobsen/ Real Estate Agent with Carolina Realty Group

I agree, that Classic Consignments at 122 Arrow Road is worth checking out
(843-852-4041)

Also Annies Attic of Consigned at 142 Arrow Road (843-686-6970)

and Bargains & Treasures at 88 Arrow Road (843-785-7920)

Also see this previous Tug Thread: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160196

and for more info, see http://www.celebratehiltonhead.com/article/2886/consignment-shopping-stylish-smart

Happy Shopping

Richard

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

There is an entire booklet which contains listings, descriptions, hours etc of most but not all of the hundreds of stores in the area! It's about 5 x 8" and called "Treasure Guide" and covers both HHI and Savannah areas. Pick one up as soon as you get there.

Some of our favorites are Church Mouse, Bargain Box, St. Francis, Litter Box, Annie's Attic (HHI), Bargains & Treasures (2 locations, HHI and Bluffton), Vintage Market in Bluffton and Off-Island Thrift (4 different stores in Bluffton, 3 with furniture).

Except for bedding, we have furnished 2 condos on HHI (beautifully we think) almost exclusively from 2nd hand shops.

The shops with 2+ locations will generally let you shop both, hold your purchases for at least a few weeks, and consolidate for delivery. Some won't promise delivery to second floor, so best to ask if that's an issue.

Edited to add: Bargain Box can be an experience - folks line up to get in before they open. Not a big selection of furniture but at times they get some good stuff and sell it really cheap, so it will be picked off in a flash.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
HH consignment furniture, etc

I'll put in a plug for Michael & Company Antiques on Arrow Road. Over the past year we've purchased 3 fantastic antique chests (ranging from c1820-1860) and a gorgeous sleigh bed, plus a couple of lamps and other small items, all at great prices.

I'll be heading down sometime this month to pick up the latest chest purchase because I didn't have enough room in our SUV to take it home 2 weeks ago. We've had excellent luck there, and never miss visiting that shop. We are mostly shopping for our kids who are just starting out on their own, but it's great fun.

Last edited: