• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval International

rp_mudlog

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I purchased a Welk Resort TS 2 days ago. After researching, we realized we had made a horrible mistake, so I sent me letter today and rescinded our agreement.

We were intrigued, however, by Interval International. We are completely clueless when it comes to travel, timeshares, etc. The extent of my travel knowledge is that Priceline has cheap hotels.

1) how does Interval work? 2) is it worth it?

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Interval International is an exchange company - you must own a timeshare, in order to have something to exchange with them. In simplest terms, you "deposit" your timeshare with them, and use it to exchange for another timeshare. Generally, you will be able to exchange for a timeshare that is similar in value to what you own, as defined by the resort, season, size unit, and demand for the area.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval International is a timeshare exchange company. In order to be a member (and play) you must own a timeshare that participates in Interval International and enroll that timeshare into Interval International. You can use that timeshare to exchange for a different timeshare week(s). Alternatively, you can buy additional vacations/stays through Interval International using their getaway segment.

PS. Denise just beat me to the reply.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
If you can be flexible, you don't have to deposit your timeshare. You can enroll with the one you own, pay the membership fees, and take advantage of the getaways. If I recall, at my very first timeshare presentation, I was told that I could rent my week out for enough money to take at least 6 extra vacations a year this way. "Travel on other people' s money", they told us. Well there was no way this was true, and I am tied to the school calendar, but if you want to use your week and still use Interval, this is an option.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
... 2) is it worth it?

Thanks!

Depends, everyone puts a different value on things.

To me it's not worth the cost to join and exchange.

I use a small independent exchange company called Dial An Exchange. Free to join, lower exchange fees and cheap getaways that don't require a deposit.

The trade off is a much much smaller pool of inventory to choose from but that works very well for me. I make requests and they try to fill them.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can pick up an Interval resort here for free probably or a couple bucks. Keep in mind its trading value with II is dependent on several factors including TDI, location, size, how early you deposit, etc.

It will cost you $89 to join II and around $179 to do an exchange.

Last minute vacations can go for $200 and up cash. No limit.

Probably need to get more familiar with TSs before jumping in.

Stay away from Developer's sales people, they are hazardous to your financial health!::wave:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Minor point of clarification...

We were intrigued, however, by Interval International.....1) how does Interval work? 2) is it worth it?

Others have already very capably defined and described above the exchange company known as Interval International.

I will simply add for clarity that in order to join Interval International you must first own a timeshare at a resort which is affiliated with Interval International.
Some resorts are affiliated with II as an exchange company, many more resorts are affiliated with RCI as an exchange company --- and some resorts are affiliated with both exchange companies. RCI and II are the biggest (but certainly not the only) exchange company options.

In any case, ownership of a timeshare directly affiliated with RCI or II is required before being able to "join" either one of these "big two" exchange companies.

Last edited:

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend told me recently that she had bought a timeshare FROM Interval and then took a vacation at the Marriott St. Kitts. I tried several times to ask what timeshare company it was that she bought into, and she kept saying that she bought it from Interval. Has anyone heard anything like this? Did she completely misunderstand the transaction or does Interval actually sell timeshares, too?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno about that particular claim...

A friend told me recently that she had bought a timeshare FROM Interval and then took a vacation at the Marriott St. Kitts. I tried several times to ask what timeshare company it was that she bought into, and she kept saying that she bought it from Interval. Has anyone heard anything like this? Did she completely misunderstand the transaction or does Interval actually sell timeshares, too?

This must be a misunderstanding or misstatement of some kind. Interval International (and RCI too) are merely exchange companies; neither one owns or sells timeshares and neither one ever did so. Maybe your friend purchased a (one time use) "Getaway" from II? :shrug:

Perhaps your friend is referring to a reseller with the word "interval" in its' name? Or maybe something was acquired via II's parent company (Interval Leisure Group) which owns Interval International? In any event, a claim of an actual timeshare ownership being purchased directly from II just simply makes no sense. :confused::shrug::confused:

Last edited:

AstaB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval Intl help

I'm new here, but hope this will help you.
We purchased the Ocean Landings resort in Cocoa Beach.
We then joined Interval Intl, deposited the week, and now able to use it at other locations.
So I hope that helps.

Only question I am confused about is, in my readings on the different pages it states "IMPORTANT: Major exchange company rules prohibit the rental or exchange of deposited weeks, exchanged weeks, bonus weeks, etc. Further, exchange companies have been known to take disciplinary action against violators of their rules when discovered via online sources such as this one. Place any such offers here AT YOUR OWN RISK of discovery by your exchange company".

Does this mean if I make a reservation at a resort and cannot use it, then I cannot rent it either?
Same for my Wyndham?
Now I'm confused.
Thanks.:confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does this mean if I make a reservation at a resort and cannot use it, then I cannot rent it either?
Same for my Wyndham?
Now I'm confused.
Thanks.:confused:

That's correct - RCI and II do not permit you to rent exchanges.

Now, if you occasionally, rent an exchange quietly to friends or family who understand the situation, you will probably be OK. But people who start a cottage industry renting exchanges often get caught, because they are requesting a large number of guest certificates and that's a red flag.

However, reservations you make with your Wyndham points are not exchanges, and you can rent them.