• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought Westgate in December, 2013 [moved to separate thread]

Reaction score
Good morning,

I bought a timeshare in Orlando, Florida with westgate resorts at december - 2013. I paied the inicial payment and 6 payments more, I haven't finished the payments and I Haven't used the timeshare.

I want my money back!

1) Can I?
2) What I have to do?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I bought a timeshare in Orlando, Florida with westgate resorts at december - 2013. I paied the inicial payment and 6 payments more, I haven't finished the payments and I Haven't used the timeshare.

I want my money back!

1) Can I?
2) What I have to do?

Thanks

You will never get your money back. If you are lucky, and this would be very rare, you may be able to get out of the contract, but you are way past your allotted time to cancel the sale. You don't have a legal leg to stand on for a refund.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I want my money back!

1) Can I?
2) What I have to do?

Thanks

I don't think there is a chance you'll ever get any money back from those people. And since you haven't made any payments for some time, it's likely your rights to use the TS are suspended anyway. I don't know that there is any way for Westgate- or whoever they sold the loan to- to collect from someone in Columbia. Even if you were to pay it off, it would be worth nothing on the resale market, so I would just not do anything. Not pay them any money, and see what happens. It will not have any effect on your ability to travel to the USA- no one checks your credit rating when you enter- unless you are moving to the US.

You might want to consult with a lawyer to see if they have any way to hurt your credit or force you to pay. Do what they tell you, but as far as we have heard here on TUG, they can't touch you.

Any money you've paid them is gone. You had 5 days after you bought to cancel the sale without any penalty and get back everything you paid, but that time is long passed.

Sorry for the reality of your situation.

Jim

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any money you've paid them is gone. You had 5 days after you bought to cancel the sale without any penalty and get back everything you paid, but that time is long passed.

This unfortunate buyer actually had 10 days (...not just 5) to cancel that Florida purchase, but that distinction is certainly not important now, nearly a year later.

Buyer will have to say "goodbye" to any and all money paid to date and accept that no money is ever going to be refunded. That being said however, buyer should also consider paying nothing more and just let Westgate foreclose. If the OP resides in South America, there is really nothing else that Westgate can do beyond foreclosure. Westgate will just take back the ownership via the foreclosure process and then sell it all over again (...and likely again and again in the future) to unwary others.

Makes me wonder if Westgate plans or maybe even relies upon this exact same scenario repeating itself, as an integral part of their (...ahem) "business model". :ponder:

Last edited: