• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to exchange please help [New HGVC buyer questions - merged]

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You can book Disney with HGVC points, it may not be as easy as the salesman made out, but it is possible.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can book Disney with HGVC points, it may not be as easy as the salesman made out, but it is possible.

I have merged the OP's 2 threads on this topic. The sales person assured them they would be able to book DVC for Christmas and New Year's THIS YEAR, and of course, that's pure baloney.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have merged the OP's 2 threads on this topic. The sales person assured them they would be able to book DVC for Christmas and New Year's THIS YEAR, and of course, that's pure baloney.
You never know until you try. We got DVC's OKW last year about this time for Dec 14-21 using Wyndham/RCI Weeks -- and that was a TWO bedroom!

Also, on other threads OP has been talking about 2015, not 2014, and that is very doable, IMHO.

ETA: Just checked the Sightings board and I see DVC -- both Aulani and SSR -- for December 2014.

Last edited:

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jkarrows/jk1970 -- rfc0001 just posted a definitive, detailed response to all your issues on the TUG DVC thread you started.

They are a HGVC & DVC owner who has used HGVC to exchange into DVC EIGHT times, and thinks HGVC (even at retail) is a better value than DVC.

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jkarrows/jk1970 -- rfc0001 just posted a definitive, detailed response to all your issues on the TUG DVC thread you started.

They are a HGVC & DVC owner who has used HGVC to exchange into DVC EIGHT times, and thinks HGVC (even at retail) is a better value than DVC.

Thanks yes just read, great post and tons of help.

travelplus

Reaction score
Guys, sorry if this has been said a million and one times and I am sorry to perhaps repeat posts, I am new to ownership and need advice and help.

I brought a HGVC points at the Elara Las Vegas three weeks ago and was told by the salesman that I could use my points to exchange to RCI.

At our meeting the salesman took time to first ask where we have been on holiday, where we might go in future.

We informed him that we go to disney orlando and have for the last five years and will be going again, we love it.

He said great I can do you a great offer and your not have the issues of it ending 20 to 25 years time like disney ownership but a chance to have it for my life.

He informed us that the amount of points we needed to allow us to stay at disney at least once a year for two weeks and he went on to show us the disney hotels we could use on the RCI.

We thought great the hotels we love to stay are there.

He informed us he was not able to show us availability as you need to be a member and look at the live screen and he said they do not have that access.

We informed him we were looking to book for Christmas this year and Halloween next year and he said it won't be a problem and said here is some bonus points upgrade your room.

Now I had to wait three weeks for my membership to come through, I log in and to my surprise, nothing, no availability, nothing.

Now we were told it would be no problem as were over four months out to book Christmas now.

It appears we can not and I called RCI who told me there is not any space for the next two years.

What am I doing wrong, please help, I feel like I have been laid to by the Hilton sales guys.

Thanks for reading.

I'm really sorry to say you should have came to TUG 3 weeks ago and we would have told you to rescind. Rule#1 is to try and never buy from the developer as its very expensive.

The resale market has nice resorts comparable to Hilton. For instance I own weeks we bought on resale and was able to trade into Hilton Vacations at MarBrisa. Hilton among other resorts has a 1 in 4 rule whereby you cannot stay again in 4 years but that just forces us to stay at a new resort.

I have split up my week and combined the Trading Power and was able to get three weeks off season from one week at some nice properties in the San Diego region. Be aware what the sales agents are telling you.

I have not seen Disney so just accept it that if you never see Disney but if you do then by all means trade into Disney. If you really want Disney then purchase points on the resale market with Disney.

I'm sorry to be harsh but the money you spent with the developer will never be seen again since most of it goes to marketing and some goes towards the week you own. For $700 we got a week in a 2 bedroom that would be $15,000+ with the developer. We figure we already got the value out of the week during the first two times we exchanged. For the Maintenance Fee+Trade fee tell me can you go to a nice hotel?

Lots of hotels go for $250 per night. A Timeshare is not an investment is just a lifestyle change. It forces you to go on vacation which is an added benefit. Its better than spending $150 at a Best Western. For the getaways its great too as well as their last minute getaways
s
With resale you are essentially getting a week someone does not want. The weeks we bought have worked well for us. SO even with the exchange fee it still woks out to be a great deal with the Maintenance Fee +Exchange. I have seen hotels going for one night at the same price you can get a week at a nice resort.

You need to play your cards and make the system work for you.

I doubt you can rescind now but try to do so and then come back here to TUG and research your options before you buy something on the resale market.

During the poor economy a few years back we bought weeks on the resale market for dirt cheap. While you can purchase it on Ebay we decided to use Redweek.com and pay the annual membership fee. and rent a week before we bought. Also be advised that there will be transfer fees involved as well.

WIth RCI you can do getaways not using your week for around $300-$500. Here is a secrete you can join RCI without depositing or owning a week, Just pay the annual fee and try some getaways and then deposit later down the road. As long as you have a membership RCI does not care if you own a week or not Wait a bit and then deposit into RCI.

Good luck.

Last edited:

pnkrockprincess

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: BLT and VGF
Wyndham Club Access
Here is a secrete you can join RCI without depositing or owning a week, Just pay the annual fee and try some getaways and then deposit later down the road. As long as you have a membership RCI does not care if you own a week or not Wait a bit and then deposit into RCI.

Good luck.

Is this accurate? Is there a way to join RCI without owning a week?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Travelplus - didn't you have to "register" a week with RCI to join?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Is this accurate? Is there a way to join RCI without owning a week?

If there is, its a well kept secret. I've heard people own one, get access to RCI, then sell and keep their RCI account.

RCI's core business is exchange vacations – helping timeshare owners to exchange their vacation ownership for time at other resorts. So, to enjoy exchange benefits through RCI®, you must own a timeshare to exchange! - See more at: http://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/be...ont-own-a-timeshare.page#sthash.CelHh5VN.dpuf

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK been a while since my last post but wanted to wait till all sorted and I am glad to say it now is.

Hilton agreed with my case and the purchase has been refunded and my Hilton Owners club has been canceled with no cost to me.

I had to send paperwork and it even took a Christmas holiday trip to Florida to visit the Hilton headquarters to get the rubber stamp that was required to cancel my membership.

So after around 6 months of fitting I have got what i wanted, my membership with Hilton cancelled with no cost to me and I am free to look at DVC ownership via resale.

:cheer::cheer:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK been a while since my last post but wanted to wait till all sorted and I am glad to say it now is.

Hilton agreed with my case and the purchase has been refunded and my Hilton Owners club has been canceled with no cost to me.

I had to send paperwork and it even took a Christmas holiday trip to Florida to visit the Hilton headquarters to get the rubber stamp that was required to cancel my membership.

So after around 6 months of fitting I have got what i wanted, my membership with Hilton cancelled with no cost to me and I am free to look at DVC ownership via resale.

:cheer::cheer:

This is an amazing sign of the quality of business practice that Hilton provides compared to some others.

I am pretty sure that people who bought in West("Hell")Gate reading this would be amazed.

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an amazing sign of the quality of business practice that Hilton provides compared to some others.

I am pretty sure that people who bought in West("Hell")Gate reading this would be amazed.

Would not say Hilton were quality, far from it but it was sorted.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would not say Hilton were quality, far from it but it was sorted.

People on this board can tell me if I am wrong, but every other story I have heard of regarding this type of issue the developer has told the buyer to "go sit on your thumb and spin" (in less graphic legalize language).

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
People on this board can tell me if I am wrong, but every other story I have heard of regarding this type of issue the developer has told the buyer to "go sit on your thumb and spin" (in less graphic legalize language).

fortunately in the UK we have a legal side where Timeshares have to be sold in a many that's not miss leading or any form of liar is told.

Fortunately I kept everything from the meeting with the Hilton man that proved what we were sold did not match what we were told.

I may be lucky but I do feel that if I was told the truth from the start I would not have brought into the Hilton club.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

Congrats! I want to recommend http://www.resalesdvc.com/ for your search. There are also a few other brokers that are highly recommended, but I have had really good experiences with this firm.

You may also want to check out mouseowners.com which is a forum similar to this, but it is only for DVC owners. You can learn a lot over there, too.

Jk1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I want to recommend http://www.resalesdvc.com/ for your search. There are also a few other brokers that are highly recommended, but I have had really good experiences with this firm.

You may also want to check out mouseowners.com which is a forum similar to this, but it is only for DVC owners. You can learn a lot over there, too.

Thank you.