• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Overwhelmed but determined

Reaction score
I just found this board today (after purchasing directly from the developer, of course)... but we still have the option to rescind so here I am. I've had the chance to read a few threads and already know we overpaid for something not very useful to us.

Here was our deal: $12.3K for 3400 gold points at HGVC MarBrisa, every other year, $615 annual MF, $795 closing. Rescind, right??
Other questions:

We really like the RCI exchange. If we buy resale, will we still have access to that network? If so, will we have to pay an additional fee/membership for that (other than the per-exchange fees)?

Also, if we buy resale, does HGVC find ways to limit us and/or nickel and dime us since we didn't buy directly from them? So far I've only found that they'll charge some sort of points activation fee (like $250 or something).

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we progress on our journey, but wanted to start with that since the rescission clock is ticking. Thank you in advance for some expert insight!

At the moment, we are thinking an annual platinum 1 BD/1BA would suit our family better (2 adults, 1 small child, no future children!) at minimum... so 4800+ pts. We do like MarBrisa, just feel incredibly taken :(

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind while you can. Resale points are the same as developer-bought points. You will be treated the same by reservations people, concierges, maids, everybody. You will have access to RCI if you buy resale. Everyone pays RCI membership, and exchange fees.

Welcome to TUG! You have some reading to do.

Jim

Reaction score
Thank you Jim! We needed that confirmation. Filling out the rescission tonight, going to dedicate time to reading this site each night. A wealth of info - thanks again!!

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC is one of the more friendly systems for resale parity with retail points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dripps

TUG Member
Reaction score
... but we still have the option to rescind so here I am. I've had the chance to read a few threads and already know we overpaid for something not very useful to us.

Here was our deal: $12.3K for 3400 gold points at HGVC MarBrisa, every other year, $615 annual MF, $795 closing. Rescind, right??

Yes, rescind. No doubt you WAY overpaid!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC rocks and you need more points for less money. As soon as you cancel your contract, start shopping around for a resale. If you want to stay in HGVC buy HGVC. If you mostly want to exchange in RCI, don't buy HGVC. You can get RCI exchanges so much cheaper with other timeshares like Worldmark.

weavershome

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC rocks and you need more points for less money. As soon as you cancel your contract, start shopping around for a resale. If you want to stay in HGVC buy HGVC. If you mostly want to exchange in RCI, don't buy HGVC. You can get RCI exchanges so much cheaper with other timeshares like Worldmark.

You found the right site. No need to elaborate at this point. Rescind and then take your time and research. The program has great value but no reason to overpay when you can get the same benefits at a fraction of the cost. Congrats.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
I just found this board today (after purchasing directly from the developer, of course)... but we still have the option to rescind so here I am. I've had the chance to read a few threads and already know we overpaid for something not very useful to us.

Other questions:

We really like the RCI exchange. If we buy resale, will we still have access to that network? If so, will we have to pay an additional fee/membership for that (other than the per-exchange fees)?

Also, if we buy resale, does HGVC find ways to limit us and/or nickel and dime us since we didn't buy directly from them? So far I've only found that they'll charge some sort of points activation fee (like $250 or something).

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we progress on our journey, but wanted to start with that since the rescission clock is ticking. Thank you in advance for some expert insight!

At the moment, we are thinking an annual platinum 1 BD/1BA would suit our family better (2 adults, 1 small child, no future children!) at minimum... so 4800+ pts. We do like MarBrisa, just feel incredibly taken :(

As others have said, rescind. I'm a big believer in never overpaying. I found TUG after buying from a developer 6 years ago, only to find the same unit for an every year contract for $1 compared to our every-other-year. We couldn't believe we paid 15K! We thought it was a mistake, a $1, how could a better contract sale for $1 when we paid 15K!

We got ourselves educated through this board and have since purchased four resale timeshares for less than a total of 4K (and 2 pending - yeah, we got hooked and have plenty of vacation and FFMs to burn!).

BTW, we picked up that better unit for the dollar as well and added it to our existing because we liked the property and exchange value.

There are many great deals, so take your time and shop around. The TUG marketplace is a great start - I bought all four of our resale timeshares from the marketplace.

Last edited:
Reaction score
HGVC is one of the more friendly systems for resale parity with retail points.
so happy to read this - we really like HGVC!

Yes, rescind. No doubt you WAY overpaid!
We can laugh at ourselves now that we will rescind! Totally got caught up... even after the whole "we're NOT going to buy, right?!?" - thank you :)

We do like MarBrisa so I think we'll do a HGVC resale but yes, RCI is part of the appeal. thanks!

You found the right site. No need to elaborate at this point. Rescind and then take your time and research. The program has great value but no reason to overpay when you can get the same benefits at a fraction of the cost. Congrats.
Amen and thank you! We will be on these boards A LOT as we learn our way around.

As others have said, rescind. I'm a big believer in never overpaying. I found TUG after buying from a developer 6 years ago, only to find the same unit for an every year contract for $1 compared to our every-other-year. We couldn't believe we paid 15K! We thought it was a mistake, a $1, how could a better contract sale for $1 when we paid 15K!

We got ourselves educated through this board and have since purchased four resale timeshares for less than a total of 4K (and 2 pending - yeah, we got hooked and have plenty of vacation and FFMs to burn!).

BTW, we picked up that better unit for the dollar as well and added it to our existing because we liked the property and exchange value.

There are many great deals, so take your time and shop around. The TUG marketplace is a great start - I bought all four of our resale timeshares from the marketplace.
These are the reassuring stories - we're not alone and there are certainly better ways. Thank you so much for sharing! p.s. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere, but if you happen to see this: what does FFM mean?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at other systems too before you buy. My first post was about HGVC. I was interested in buying HGVC but I ended up with Worldmark, Disney and Marriott. Look for the reasons why you wanted HGVC then do your research on here to see if another timeshare system better suits your needs before you buy. I still think of buying HGVC every now and then, but my husband says we have too many timeshares already.

I originally liked HGVC because I liked the accomodations when I stayed in Waikiki, however for me a staycation (I'm on Oahu) is better at Ko Olina, so we bought Marriott and DVC. But then I got spoiled and I want a kitchen where ever I go, so we bought Worldmark site unseen--and no regrets-- and we have been able to use the worldmark to exchange for HGVC. Even with the 1 in 4 rule that HGVC imposes in RCI, it works for us.

HGVC is a great system though--but take a look at the locations and see if they work for you. There are other systems that have more locations that might work better for our family.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
p.s. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere, but if you happen to see this: what does FFM mean?

Please do tell us. So we don't google it and find this answer in the "urban dictionary": two women and one man having sex together. :ignore:

Seriously that was the very first entry on google.

I don't think that is what Clotheshorse meant! <vbg>

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Please do tell us. So we don't google it and find this answer in the "urban dictionary": two women and one man having sex together. :ignore:

Seriously that was the very first entry on google.

I don't think that is what Clotheshorse meant! <vbg>

TUG truly lives on the edge.

Confirmed the acronym for Threesome. :ignore:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
LOL :rofl:
I think Clotheshorse meant Frequent Flyer Miles (FFM).

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
LOL :rofl:
I think Clotheshorse meant Frequent Flyer Miles (FFM).

Sorry guys, keeping it clean - yes, FFM is Frequent Flyer Miles. My partner is in the travel business and have always used The acronym FFM. I thought it was common.

I never knew there was another meaning. Learn something new each day.

Reaction score
Relief!!!! Received confirmation the recession letter was received by HGVC. Feeling way better now! Less pressure, plenty of time to research and make a good decision now.

PearlCity and Presley - I am taking your advice and will look at other programs too. So much research to do. We want something close to home that we can use but true - maybe it doesn't have to be HGVC.

Clothesline - duh on my part! Of course FFM is frequent flier miles! (Thank you) I am still laughing and embarrassed puppymommo, GregT and alwaysonvac!! :rofl: