• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's My Next Step?

thesherburnes

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am SO happy that I have found this website!

My wife and I went on a vacation to Myrtle Beach SC, and on the way there we stopped at a "fake" information stop. We knew it was fishy and weird and soon we found out why. Starwood salesmen were booking show tickets for people to sit for their presentations. I am a Hilton member, so I was in no mind to purchase. We got the free tickets, went to the presentation the next day and walked out with $30 and a free show. That was that. However, when we arrived at out Hilton Hotel (Embassy Suites) we were called down for a "free gift". That was new to me so I was gullible. We went down to the desk and got suckered into another. Free 20,000 points and $100 rebate certificate... yea ok I'll bite.

Long story short here is we were suckered into a LOW LOW starter points package, like 1,600 since we were at the end of our vacation and did NOT want to put a crap load of money down. 1,600 points every year for like 14,000. Interest was not bank but HGVC controlled and was 16%!!! That's 24,000 after payments! I signed on the 14th, and read the contract the morning of the 19th when finding this site and immediately shipped out my cancellation letter. Received my down payments back yesterday and now I am feeling much relieved that I did not spend thousands of dollars for nothing. When I saw I could get triple points for my down payment, I was astonished.

My question in short now is what's my next step? How does this process work and when I buy resale can I receive the points to spend anywhere? Do I need to buy RCI points separately or is the "membership" included also with these. I am fine with losing the "Hilton Prestige" by not buying direct, that's not worth the extra thousands of dollars and I already receive silver for life because of our AMEX. Any guidance would be great, really looking forward to getting one soon to go to Hawaii!! :) Thank God I did this in time!

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am SO happy that I have found this website!

My wife and I went on a vacation to Myrtle Beach SC, and on the way there we stopped at a "fake" information stop. We knew it was fishy and weird and soon we found out why. Starwood salesmen were booking show tickets for people to sit for their presentations. I am a Hilton member, so I was in no mind to purchase. We got the free tickets, went to the presentation the next day and walked out with $30 and a free show. That was that. However, when we arrived at out Hilton Hotel (Embassy Suites) we were called down for a "free gift". That was new to me so I was gullible. We went down to the desk and got suckered into another. Free 20,000 points and $100 rebate certificate... yea ok I'll bite.

Long story short here is we were suckered into a LOW LOW starter points package, like 1,600 since we were at the end of our vacation and did NOT want to put a crap load of money down. 1,600 points every year for like 14,000. Interest was not bank but HGVC controlled and was 16%!!! That's 24,000 after payments! I signed on the 14th, and read the contract the morning of the 19th when finding this site and immediately shipped out my cancellation letter. Received my down payments back yesterday and now I am feeling much relieved that I did not spend thousands of dollars for nothing. When I saw I could get triple points for my down payment, I was astonished.

My question in short now is what's my next step? How does this process work and when I buy resale can I receive the points to spend anywhere? Do I need to buy RCI points separately or is the "membership" included also with these. I am fine with losing the "Hilton Prestige" by not buying direct, that's not worth the extra thousands of dollars and I already receive silver for life because of our AMEX. Any guidance would be great, really looking forward to getting one soon to go to Hawaii!! :) Thank God I did this in time!

The contract that your cancelled was worth less than $500, so give yourself a huge pat on the back for saving ton loads of money.

Go to www.ebay.com, go to the category "Real estate" and type HGVC, and see what comes up. If you like a particular listing, you can always post the ebay ID of the seller here and we will comment if the seller is credible or not. Do not buy anything less than 7000 annual points in my opinion.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! We're glad you found us in time.

First, I'd say don't rush into this. It takes a bit of time to learn the timeshare ropes. We always recommend you rent a time or two to get the 'feel' of the various resort systems. I'd say you probably have some reading to do.

We have some great brokers here who have access to HGVC and other higher end TSs at fair resale prices. They have experience shepherding them through the process of transferring the ownership and past the Right of First Refusal that can derail a resale purchase.

Again, Welcome. Others will certainly chime in with more answers directly related to HGVC.

Jim

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC comes with an RCI portal. You wouldn't need to buy a separate timeshare for RCI, unless you want to save a considerable amount of money on RCI exchanges. HGVC is at the top of the chain in RCI. When you trade in RCI, you will get an exchange that is much less than what you own.

You need to research all the systems. Do you really want HGVC? Whenever someone new to HGVC talks about using RCI, I always think HGVC is a bad choice for them. HGVC is great for staying at HGVC properties. If you think you'll mostly exchange in RCI, you can buy a dirt cheap RCI exchanger instead.

thesherburnes

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate all the feedback, and mostly tickled to death I was able to run the hell out of this contract in time. I see my options are vast. I AM a Hilton Honors Member so I tend to stay in Hilton mostly, which is why I am comfortable with HGVC, but I have seen crazy amount of RCI points packages that are so cheap maybe I will do that too lol. I intend to travel all over so having both seem to not be a bad idea.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Don't get confused every system has its own currency hgvc are in thousands, worldmark are in thousands, club Wyndham are in hundreds of thousands and I believe rci points are also in hundreds of thousands. The reason some point packages are cheaper than others s usually because the yearly maintenance fees are higher, its all a tradeoff.

Ian

Reaction score
Welcome thesherburnes! I am new here too - just got confirmation today that HGVC received my cancellation notice. Whew! I will be following you closely as I have many of the same questions and am just learning too. Good times ahead!

thesherburnes

Reaction score
Don't get confused every system has its own currency hgvc are in thousands, worldmark are in thousands, club Wyndham are in hundreds of thousands and I believe rci points are also in hundreds of thousands. The reason some point packages are cheaper than others s usually because the yearly maintenance fees are higher, its all a tradeoff.

Ian
Thanks for this info, I didn't look into the maintenance fees of these yet so that is definitely something to think about. I hear a lot of these are basically on preference: where you want to go, how long, for how many times and kind of with who (how many people). Thanks for the support. :)

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Not sure what you mean by preference in this context. When people talk about preference on TUG they are usually referring to period in II that Marriott or Starwood owners have to trade into another Marriott or Starwood before others get a chance.

Ian

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by preference in this context. When people talk about preference on TUG they are usually referring to period in II that Marriott or Starwood owners have to trade into another Marriott or Starwood before others get a chance.

Ian
I think he means buy where you want to visit most ....