• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help Me Find a Good TS Fit

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Within a 8 hour drive from Michigan.
2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? I want to use my home resort the bulk of the time and exchange for those really big vacations every few years.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Caribbean, Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 16 and 19)

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? School Schedule for the next 3 years and then wide open

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? I love a nice resort or a place on the beach, I’m very easy to please. My only requirement is 2 bedrooms. I like room to spread out.
9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? 4k for the “perfect” location and week. But I’m really looking for a bargain deals.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $600 Max

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

I currently own a winter flex week at Pinestead Reef that I got for a song. Its just down right impossible to purchase a summer week at that resort. I welcome all ideas and suggestions.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only see a *few* problem areas. You want a nice, 2 bedroom, on a beach, an 8 hour drive from Michigan, with a $600 MF.

Good Luck.

You might have to modify some of those criterion. Make your heart's desire, further away, 1 bedroom, no beach, or higher MF. Or some combination of each. The only fairly easy-to-fill item in your list is the $4,000 buy-in.

I don't know if Branson MO is 8 hours away, but there might be something there that would fill the bill. Look at Bluegreen resorts. They seem fairly plentiful in the midwest, are a point-based system, so that would add flexibility of unit sizes and seasons.

Is Williamsburg VA in driving range? Some nice TSs there.

In order to keep that MF down, you are looking at smaller, older, independent TSs. Then you run the risk that maintenance has been deferred, and a Special Assessment can pop up to set it right.

Good Luck. I've given you a couple of places to look. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Jim

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Caribbean, Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana
I'm going to assume you want to visit Orlando in FL and New Orleans in Louisiana. Of the destinations you listed above, my research suggests that the most difficult to find cheaply on the rental market or as an exchange is going to be New Orleans. Therefore, I'd suggest you buy there in order to ensure that you can visit there, so you can maximize trading potential, and so you have better options to sell or give it away when you're done.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For a nice 2 bdm. on the beach, you should expect to spend a lot more than $600 per year - more like twice that much.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
1) ....

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $600 Max

Not going to happen for a 2/2 beach front.

I know one resort but MFs are around $700. Coconut Palms. If you find an EVENT WEEK, those are fixed week and unit. And I got ONE of them, Week 10 Unit 235. Dead center - direct oceanfront - above the dune - balcony and the unit's windows.

And that is NOT CP #2.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I only see a *few* problem areas. You want a nice, 2 bedroom, on a beach, an 8 hour drive from Michigan, with a $600 MF.

Good Luck.

You might have to modify some of those criterion. Make your heart's desire, further away, 1 bedroom, no beach, or higher MF. Or some combination of each. The only fairly easy-to-fill item in your list is the $4,000 buy-in.

I don't know if Branson MO is 8 hours away, but there might be something there that would fill the bill. Look at Bluegreen resorts. They seem fairly plentiful in the midwest, are a point-based system, so that would add flexibility of unit sizes and seasons.

Is Williamsburg VA in driving range? Some nice TSs there.

In order to keep that MF down, you are looking at smaller, older, independent TSs. Then you run the risk that maintenance has been deferred, and a Special Assessment can pop up to set it right.

Good Luck. I've given you a couple of places to look. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Jim

Jim, Thank you --- I can go to $1000 yearly MF's but I like to be conservative and try for something that is cheaper, as I know that the MF's will go up every year. I'm 12 to 15 years away from retirement and my income will go down considerably at that point.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For a nice 2 bdm. on the beach, you should expect to spend a lot more than $600 per year - more like twice that much.

So $1,200 would be more realistic then….I appreciate the feedback

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I know one resort but MFs are around $700. Coconut Palms. If you find an EVENT WEEK, those are fixed week and unit. And I got ONE of them, Week 10 Unit 235. Dead center - direct oceanfront - above the dune - balcony and the unit's windows.

And that is NOT CP #2.

Do you have any suggestions for Florida or GA with big 1 bedrooms, if I scale my wish list down, I'm ok with that.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would start with the TUG Ratings and Reviews for Florida or GA, whittle it down to a handful, then research it on ebay and TUG.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, Thank you --- I can go to $1000 yearly MF's but I like to be conservative and try for something that is cheaper, as I know that the MF's will go up every year. I'm 12 to 15 years away from retirement and my income will go down considerably at that point.

Probably, but those two dependents will be gone- probably within 3-4 years. You will be able to travel on shoulder season. I highly recommend April and May and September and October. You might consider a points based TS so that you can just 'spend' the points on the size unit you need at the time.

You might even consider that Michigan can do without you for certain months.

In fact, in 12 years, look back at this thread and see if your plan of today fits with the reality then. Print it out and stuff it in the safe.

All the best!

Jim

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
We own a July 4th week at Landmark Holiday Beach Resort in Panama City Beach and m/f are $660 for a two-bedroom. RCI TPUs are good. Summer weeks from Memorial Day to Labor Day and a few other weeks before/after that are all fixed weeks. All other weeks are floating. Fixed weeks are hard to find but do pop up once in a while on ebay.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score

And that is NOT CP #2.

With this Coconut Palms resort - if you choose, you can release your FIXED WEEK per year to fight for a FLOAT week in a different season -- Fixed Weeks were ONLY 7&8 and 9&10 -- Daytona 500 and Bike Week. But you would have to check with the resort - might have been weeks 26 & 27 (July 4th weeks) also.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own a July 4th week at Landmark Holiday Beach Resort in Panama City Beach and m/f are $660 for a two-bedroom. RCI TPUs are good. Summer weeks from Memorial Day to Labor Day and a few other weeks before/after that are all fixed weeks. All other weeks are floating. Fixed weeks are hard to find but do pop up once in a while on ebay.

Thank you, this one sounds great...

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
None of these are within an eight hours drive from anywhere in MI, Caribbean, Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, so your search is already flawed.

I own the resort you are looking for. Ocean front units available to me in the summer with MFs of $600.

Keep your eyes open for a 2Br at Tropic Shores Resort in Daytona Beach Shores.

When the resort forecloses a unit they are sold for $5,000 which includes a years use. There is a waiting list of over 80 people for these.

I have found two recently for under $1,000 and I found one for a friend. I saw one on eBay go for $1,500 two years ago.

A 2Br on the beach for $600 per year is very possible despite reports to the contrary.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None of these are within an eight hours drive from anywhere in MI, Caribbean, Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, so your search is already flawed.

I own the resort you are looking for. Ocean front units available to me in the summer with MFs of $600.

Keep your eyes open for a 2Br at Tropic Shores Resort in Daytona Beach Shores.

When the resort forecloses a unit they are sold for $5,000 which includes a years use. There is a waiting list of over 80 people for these.

I have found two recently for under $1,000 and I found one for a friend. I saw one on eBay go for $1,500 two years ago.

A 2Br on the beach for $600 per year is very possible despite reports to the contrary.

John, thank you so much. I have put this resort into my spreadsheet.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Check out the TUG Marketplace of resorts for sale. You may find what you are looking for there.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a list of resorts to consider (in RCI):
These are all in Michigen by lakes and have great amenities

Boyne Mountain (#0182) »
Cedar River at Shanty Creek (#6177) »
Grand Traverse Resort and Spa (#2149) »
Harbor Cove (#0107) »
Pinestead Reef-VIP (#0263)
Sudendorf at Schuss Mountain (#0225) »
Shanty Creek Lodges (#5021) »
Sugar Loaf Resort (#4301) »
The Beach House at Lake Street (#8761) »
The Homestead (#2514) »
The Inn at St Ives (#C666) »
Vacation Club II (#5424) »
Wintergreen Quarters (#2348) »

The only reason I know of these is my inlaws live in MI and we wanted to invite them to resorts they could drive to.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

Do you have any suggestions for Florida or GA with big 1 bedrooms, if I scale my wish list down, I'm ok with that.

With all due respect, since you may not yet be familiar with any of the areas and / or resorts mentioned in various posts above, you might want to consider first renting in several different areas before committing to buying any timeshare in any location you've never actually visited. Personally, I don't think it's a very good idea to buy a timeshare you plan to use "in the blind", based on numbers alone. Buying is always relatively easy. Selling, if you discover that you don't particularly like what / where you've purchased, is generally much more difficult (...and maintenance fee bills are either forever or until you sell or die, whichever comes first).

Various areas within Florida are very different from one another. The East Coast is very different from the West Coast. The Panhandle area is different from either one. The Florida Keys are their own little world (...with expensive timeshare maintenance fees). Orlando weeks are always available, but do you really want to own there?

In short, I would suggest renting in and experiencing different places before actually buying anything. Just my personal opinion, offered merely as food for thought.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I picked up one (week 31) a couple years ago. It was listed as RCI points... and was not within the good MF to points ratio of a penny a point. I'm guessing that's how I got it for just over $50.

Sent from Tapatalk

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL

I forgot to mention this resort exchanges with RCI, II, and VRI. RCI Points and few units with BlueGreen. This is a VRI Managed Resort.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
... This is a VRI Managed Resort.

Which is the only reason I kept mine in RCI Points... Home group priority.

Sent from Tapatalk

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, since you may not yet be familiar with any of the areas and / or resorts mentioned in various posts above, you might want to consider first renting in several different areas before committing to buying

In short, I would suggest renting in and experiencing different places before actually buying anything. Just my personal opinion, offered merely as food for thought.

IMNSHO x 2

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a list of resorts to consider (in RCI):
These are all in Michigen by lakes and have great amenities

Boyne Mountain (#0182) »
Cedar River at Shanty Creek (#6177) »
Grand Traverse Resort and Spa (#2149) »
Harbor Cove (#0107) »
Pinestead Reef-VIP (#0263)
Sudendorf at Schuss Mountain (#0225) »
Shanty Creek Lodges (#5021) »
Sugar Loaf Resort (#4301) »
The Beach House at Lake Street (#8761) »
The Homestead (#2514) »
The Inn at St Ives (#C666) »
Vacation Club II (#5424) »
Wintergreen Quarters (#2348) »

I'm reallyThe only reason I know of these is my inlaws live in MI and we wanted to invite them to resorts they could drive to.

Wow, thank you so much, I was able to rent a few days at Pinestead Reef for the Labor Day weekend and I'm up in TC right now... I appreciate you helping me find these units. Since I paid a King's Ransom to stay here for 3 nights, I'm really looking to purchase so that I'm able to continue to vacation...LOL

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With all due respect, since you may not yet be familiar with any of the areas and / or resorts mentioned in various posts above, you might want to consider first renting in several different areas before committing to buying any timeshare in any location you've never actually visited. Personally, I don't think it's a very good idea to buy a timeshare you plan to use "in the blind", based on numbers alone. Buying is always relatively easy. Selling, if you discover that you don't particularly like what / where you've purchased, is generally much more difficult (...and maintenance fee bills are either forever or until you sell or die, whichever comes first).

Various areas within Florida are very different from one another. The East Coast is very different from the West Coast. The Panhandle area is different from either one. The Florida Keys are their own little world (...with expensive timeshare maintenance fees). Orlando weeks are always available, but do you really want to own there?

In short, I suggest renting in and experiencing different places before actually buying anything. Just my personal opinion, offered merely as food for thought.

Thank you, great advice. I'm trying to devlop a list of resorts to vacation at that have reasonable MF's and determine if they will be a fit for me and the family...I was going to purchase something if I found a great deal but as you mentioned I should not buy blind...thanks again

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Thank you, great advice. I'm trying to devlop a list of resorts to vacation at that have reasonable MF's and determine if they will be a fit for me and the family...I was going to purchase something if I found a great deal but as you mentioned I should not buy blind...thanks again

I'm at Mountain Run at Boyne Falls right now and the place is wonderful. Check out my thread asking about Bluegreen points to get some idea of the MFs.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216286

There is a lot to do here but I'm sure after tomorrow it will be a ghost town until ski season. It seems north western Mi shuts down after labor day.

We honeymooned in Pentwater 46 years ago today and we were really surprised how empty the whole area was even though good weather was still around.