• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bay Club Questions.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to HGVC (I have been Marritt only in ownership), and I have a couple of questions about Bay Club affiliate.

1. Are Bay Club timeshares subject to Hilton's ROFR?

2. I went out to the Hilton site, and found more layouts than there are point types for 2 BR timeshares. How do you sort out what's what, in terms of layout, rather than building?

Thanks all!

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When I bought my bay club last year the agent told me that they do have rofr but that they have never exercised it. So I wouldn't worry about Rofr.

On the unit layout all you are really interested in is how many points the unit is worth in hgvc. For a two bedroom its 7k or 8400. The 7k are more prevalent.

Ian

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
The Bay Club at Waikoloa is a HGVC Affiliate, which does not have ROFR. People have picked these up for $1 in the past, even 7K units. Today, you can still pick-up the 1-Bdrm 4800 points units for peanuts, but you may have to pay a couple of thousand at worst for a 7K unit.

I can give you a link that shows the floor plans for the different Bay Club units, but if your planning to purchase a Bay Club just to have the points for trading, the floor plans do not matter. The Bay Clubs are either 1-Bdrm 4800 points, 2-Bdrm 7000 points, or the 2-Bdrm, 3-bath, 2-story, Villa's that are 8400 points.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy to aid you.

#1. As to ROFR. HGVC has never owned the Bay Club, and as an affiliate HGVC has no ROFR. What occurs when you transfer ownership is that the Bay Club has an employee that is charged with the duty of automatically signing all waivers of first refusal. Literally, you can email a waiver of ROFR to the Bay Club and then immediately call and ask a staff member to sign it and email it back.

#2 Bay Club has different two bedroom configurations and points. The basic 2 bedroom for 7,000. Then a penthouse 2 bedroom for 8,400 points. Then my favorite a duplex style ground floor or 2nd floor stand alone unit that has a private car port out front.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Happy to aid you.

#1. As to ROFR. HGVC has never owned the Bay Club, and as an affiliate HGVC has no ROFR. What occurs when you transfer ownership is that the Bay Club has an employee that is charged with the duty of automatically signing all waivers of first refusal. Literally, you can email a waiver of ROFR to the Bay Club and then immediately call and ask a staff member to sign it and email it back.

#2 Bay Club has different two bedroom configurations and points. The basic 2 bedroom for 7,000. Then a penthouse 2 bedroom for 8,400 points. Then my favorite a duplex style ground floor or 2nd floor stand alone unit that has a private car port out front.

In #1, I don't understand what you are saying about signing the ROFR. When I purchased mine, there was nothing about any ROFR paperwork. There is no ROFR. Even if a person owns a Bay Club unit that is now part of HGVC and is getting points, when a new person purchases that unit, they must pay HGVC $250 for an EOY or $500 for an annual for that unit to be part of HGVC, if the new owner wants the unit to be part of HGVC to get HGVC points. Plus the new owner must pay HGVC an additional fee to join HGVC, if they are not a member already. Note that there is no requirement to join HGVC if you purchase a Bay Club unit, which is voluntary, you could just use your unit each year.

In #2, the penthouse units in the 3-story units are, unfortunately, only 7K points, I own a Penthouse unit, their all 7K. The only units that get 8400 points are the Villa, 2-Bdrm, 3-bath, 2-story units, that also include a car port. Really wish I had one of those, but the resale prices were significantly higher. Check this Bay Club page out, specifically the A, B, & AB Penthouses, which are all 7K:

http://www.bayclubresaleshawaii.com/Resale_Prices/page_1796694.html

Check out eBay for past & current prices:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Bay-Clu...51386243455?pt=Timeshares&hash=item233f52c17f

Last edited:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. My planned usage is very different form most Tuggers, I am thinking of buying several for "Snowbirding" in retirement.

(Snowbirding - migrating to a warm climate for all or part of the winter...)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for all the answers. My planned usage is very different form most Tuggers, I am thinking of buying several for "Snowbirding" in retirement.

(Snowbirding - migrating to a warm climate for all or part of the winter...)

fyi... there are threads about retirement on TUG

Here's two recent threads that I recall (just in case you haven't seen them already).

"Does anyone own 8+ weeks in Hawaii?" (2013) -
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190840

"How many of you have added timeshare weeks to use in retirement?" (2014) -
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215256

Here's another one (not really about retirement) but you might find some interesting comments "How Many Timeshares Do You Own?" - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179770

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Great information on the Bay Club.

What are the "AB" units? The published resale prices are much high for those, but they are still just 7000 points.

The must be something interesting, as they are priced higher than the 8400 point grand Villa's..

Chris

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Great information on the Bay Club.

What are the "AB" units? The published resale prices are much high for those, but they are still just 7000 points.

The must be something interesting, as they are priced higher than the 8400 point grand Villa's..

Chris

Third (top) floor, vaulted ceilings, nobody tromping overhead, open lanais for star gazing.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, that makes sense for the Penthouses, had not noticed the open Lanai before, but can see it in the pictures...

Sort of odd that the penthouses units sell for more, but still yield the same HGVC points.

Guess that if you own a Penthouse unit at Bay Club, you can automatically get one when you stay there... Just wish the MF were not so high there...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That does not make sense to me. I have official docs from my Bay Club purchase. There are NO AB units listed. There are A units which are the larger lani, larger unit, 2 bedrooms and there are B units with smaller lani and slightly smaller 2 BR unit.

There are no AB lists. You could have a penthouse in a A, B, C, D. Where C and D are the two types of 1 BR units available.

Here are the floor plans. http://www.bayclubresaleshawaii.com/Floor_Plans/page_1796691.html
Strange that D floor plans on not listed.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That does not make sense to me. I have official docs from my Bay Club purchase. There are NO AB units listed. There are A units which are the larger lani, larger unit, 2 bedrooms and there are B units with smaller lani and slightly smaller 2 BR unit.

There are no AB lists. You could have a penthouse in a A, B, C, D. Where C and D are the two types of 1 BR units available.

Here are the floor plans. http://www.bayclubresaleshawaii.com/Floor_Plans/page_1796691.html
Strange that D floor plans on not listed.

So why do you think that the Bay Club shows the AB Deluxe TS's (floors 1 & 2) and the AB Penthouse (3rd floor) on their web site under Resale Prices?

TWO Bedroom 'AB' Deluxe.. $11,500 $6,000/5,500 $1,340 7,000

TWO Bedroom 'AB" penthouse . $14,000 na /$6,000 $1,340 7,000

Inquisitive minds want to know :shrug:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am not disputing that there are penthouse units, There are A style penthouse and B style Penthouse. There is NO AB style Penthouse. They are just lumping the penthouses units together, but are not showing A vs B. B have slightly less space and way less lanai, and less MFs than the A units. There is a penthouse A and a Penthouse B. Both are 2 BRs.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So why do you think that the Bay Club shows the AB Deluxe TS's (floors 1 & 2) and the AB Penthouse (3rd floor) on their web site under Resale Prices?

TWO Bedroom 'AB' Deluxe.. $11,500 $6,000/5,500 $1,340 7,000

TWO Bedroom 'AB" penthouse . $14,000 na /$6,000 $1,340 7,000

Inquisitive minds want to know :shrug:

The units were originally sold with different pricing in all these variations. When they were converted to HGVC points only the villas got 8400, the "2br penthouse" units got 7000, the same as the other 2br. This broker probably sold the original units, that's why they have all the varied unit price levels. On eBay they are just sold by point values.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How does it work for owner at the Bay Club or other affiliates with multiple floor plans, and even Penthouse units at the same point value.

Do you automatically get the plan you own when you reserve?

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you reserve through the Bay Club onsite reservations for owners you will get the unit type you own. If you reserve with points through HGVC you will get the unit according to number of points you use, 7000 pts for 2BR or 8400 pts for the villa. There is no distinction as to type of 2 br 7000 pts unit, A or B type or top fl Penthouse. You can request a particular type through the front desk depending on availability at time of check in. You can have the request put on the reservation earlier but no guarantee.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
...when a new person purchases that unit, they must pay HGVC $250 for an EOY or $500 for an annual for that unit to be part of HGVC, if the new owner wants the unit to be part of HGVC to get HGVC points.

I was already an HGVC member before buying my Bay Club units so I did not have to pay the fees mentioned.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree on the fees for a new unit if you are an existing owner vs. new owner. I think the confusion is in the issue of being just a Bay Club Owner, you only pay MF. But you have the option to convert that TS ownership into the HGVC Club. Once that is elected, you pay annual MF, plus HGVC membership, and a one time conversion or club fee of $250 a season. So an existing Bay Club/HGVC owner, on acquiring a new Bay Club and electing to join HGVC, does not pay the HGVC membership fee, but does pay a one time per week fee of $250 per season. I have found HGVC membership to be well worth the exercise because of the access it offers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I also own bay club units that are enrolled in HGVC, A few years ago you paid a one time $399 fee to enroll your units into HGVC. Best part was you did not enroll the bay club unit if you knew you were buying more to enroll. The $399 fee covered as many units as you wanted to enroll that one time. This was changed about a year after the special assessment back in I think 2008 or 2009. Then it changed to the current structure of $250 per season.
I just bought a true HGVC at Kohala suites unit. I was thinking that I would not have to pay enrollment fee like bay club units since Kohala suites is not an affiliate resort. Boy was I surprised when HGVC sent me a bill for $250 to enroll it in the club. I think it was called an activation fee instead. :annoyed::annoyed:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree on the fees for a new unit if you are an existing owner vs. new owner. I think the confusion is in the issue of being just a Bay Club Owner, you only pay MF. But you have the option to convert that TS ownership into the HGVC Club. Once that is elected, you pay annual MF, plus HGVC membership, and a one time conversion or club fee of $250 a season.

I don't question that this how it is now done. However, when I purchased both my units (14 years & 7 years ago) it was very clearly documented that I would pay neither the HGVC membership fee nor the fee to convert the unit. Whether this was the norm--I don't know--but my documents show I didn't have to pays these 2 fees because I was already a HGVV member.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just happy that Hilton took the opportunity to build or otherwise offer a full service destination resort on the BI. I really enjoy visiting there, while everyone else fights to squeeze into Waikiki.

It also explains why a second timeshare group can be beneficial or else I would have just stayed with Marriott.

Jan Handlers

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Penthouse deeds say 2AP

I just bought a 2 BR Penthouse resale at the Bay Club. It is actually listed as 2AP. I already owned several Bay Club weeks in the villas which were enrolled with HGVC. When I converted my resale to HGVC, I had to pay $500. It was $250 for the even year and $250 for the odd year, even though they were bought as a package.

lake123

Reaction score
I just bought a 2 BR Penthouse resale at the Bay Club. It is actually listed as 2AP. I already owned several Bay Club weeks in the villas which were enrolled with HGVC. When I converted my resale to HGVC, I had to pay $500. It was $250 for the even year and $250 for the odd year, even though they were bought as a package.

Hi Jan and all,

May i ask all of the Bay Club experts for their opinion? I am interested in buying a Bay Club's Christmas week (52). The sale agent said he does not know if it can be converted to HGVC points. My family is interested to be there for almost all christmas, but some years we may want to trade off for other HGVC resorts.

Thank you,.

lake n.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jan and all,

May i ask all of the Bay Club experts for their opinion? I am interested in buying a Bay Club's Christmas week (52). The sale agent said he does not know if it can be converted to HGVC points. My family is interested to be there for almost all christmas, but some years we may want to trade off for other HGVC resorts.

Thank you,.

lake n.
All Bay Club units are eligible for conversion by paying the fee. If the previous owner converted the fee still has to be paid by the new owner, there is no transfer. A new HGVC account is set up for the points, even if other HGVC account and ownership exists. Multiple Bay Club weeks can be added to a single account.