• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how to get more vacation time after your points are used?

arnief

Reaction score
Say we own 6000 points, and that consumes our one week of vacation. Are there economical ways to get more vacation time without buying more points? Can you purchase stays with cash?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can book open season with cash, but those bookings are limited to check in 30 days or less from booking date. RCI has weekly rentals, but we can't see them with the Hilton portal. You need to call in to find out about those. RCI also has last calls, which are typically unwanted rental weeks on the cheap.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Another economical strategy is to borrow points from the next year. It doesn't cost you anything extra to borrow points. In your example, you have access to 12,000pts. 6,000 from the current year, and 6,000 the following year.

Even though I have 4,800 points annually, I'm using 7,000 - 8,000pts per year.

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Say we own 6000 points, and that consumes our one week of vacation. Are there economical ways to get more vacation time without buying more points? Can you purchase stays with cash?

exchanging thru RCI could get you close...

a one week 1 bdrm stay at a disney resort or a resport like the Kauai Beach Villas or the Lawai Beach Resort in Kauai could be had for 3,400 pts so you could get close to two weeks for the price of an HGVC resort.

Or you could do 1 full week and another stay for for 5 or 6 nights and the points reqd would be less.

you'll have to pay the rci fee though.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hilton Owners can get an SFX Membership courtesy of sellingtimeshares.net

If you want, I can get you a 2 year complementary diamond membership in SFX-resorts.com . SFX has bonus weeks and sell off weeks at huge discounts. This is offered to our (sellingtimeshares.net) buyers, but I can extend it to you. Also, if you bought from us, we can offer you additional points for a 1 time vacation for the maintenance equivalent of a 5000 point Parc Soleil unit.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If you don't want to commit to owning more points, consider joining an exchange company too. I joined SFX, they treat HGVC owners very well, with two bonus weeks for a deposit. The bonus weeks are cash, with plenty of Mexico weeks, ranging from $499-$999. Your deposit week is $169 to exchange.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, very generous of you Seth

If you want, I can get you a 2 year complementary diamond membership in SFX-resorts.com . SFX has bonus weeks and sell off weeks at huge discounts. This is offered to our (sellingtimeshares.net) buyers, but I can extend it to you. Also, if you bought from us, we can offer you additional points for a 1 time vacation for the maintenance equivalent of a 5000 point Parc Soleil unit.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I just wanted to say WOW, all I can say is that is very generous of you Seth. It's definitely worth paying a couple thousand dollars more or so to buy from you and know you are getting good clean title and great customer service.

Having said that, I only brought from Ebay because the seller was using a reputable / legit closing company (Chicago Title), who are willing to offer title insurance, so you can bet they will do a title search at a minimum, because I plan on buying that title insurance.

If it wasn't for that fact of closing with a legit title company, I certainly don't think it's worth the risk with Ebay sellers for something close to $10K, I would have definitely buy from Seth or Judi instead, but seeing how generous Seth is, it will tilt my favor more that direction if my current deal falls thru on Ebay or gets taken by ROFR. Here's to hoping it will pass.

Thanks,
Great3

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Closing company for Hilton resales

I think you need to buy title insurance for them to do a search. I do not think Chicago Title does a search if you do not pay for the insurance. If you have a choice, ask for Char as your closing agent. Make sure you give ALL of your money directly to Chicago Title and not to the seller. You should make sure to charge your credit card for the deposit. This gives you added protection.

If you find out what company is brokering the unit, can you let me know. They do not mention the name of the brokerage company in the auction. I thought licensing law requires it.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I just wanted to say WOW, all I can say is that is very generous of you Seth. It's definitely worth paying a couple thousand dollars more or so to buy from you and know you are getting good clean title and great customer service.

Having said that, I only brought from Ebay because the seller was using a reputable / legit closing company (Chicago Title), who are willing to offer title insurance, so you can bet they will do a title search at a minimum, because I plan on buying that title insurance.

If it wasn't for that fact of closing with a legit title company, I certainly don't think it's worth the risk with Ebay sellers for something close to $10K, I would have definitely buy from Seth or Judi instead, but seeing how generous Seth is, it will tilt my favor more that direction if my current deal falls thru on Ebay or gets taken by ROFR. Here's to hoping it will pass.

Thanks,
Great3

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to commit to owning more points, consider joining an exchange company too. I joined SFX, they treat HGVC owners very well, with two bonus weeks for a deposit. The bonus weeks are cash, with plenty of Mexico weeks, ranging from $499-$999. Your deposit week is $169 to exchange.

SFX just increased their bonus week pricing, so unless you travel on short notice, it's $700 for a 1 bedroom and $900 for a 2 bedroom. I believe the only way to get bonus weeks is to actually deposit a week with them. If you have HGVC you could deposit a 1 week at Las Vegas for 2400 points and SFX will give you 1 exchange and 2 bonus weeks. Bonus weeks are cash. You'll have your $179 or thereabouts exchange fee when you book your exchange week (depends on your membership level). But I don't think they're doing a promo deposit just yet, but usually they'll extend the bonus week offer to you anyway.

They have "sell-off" weeks if you have VERY flexible travel plans that are basically weeks that people deposited and they haven't had an exchange request yet.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
SFX

Could someone point me to where I can read more about what SFX is and how the program works?

Thanks

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Another way to get additional time in the HGVC system is to book a smaller-sized unit or a lesser season than what you own. Either one or both uses less points than booking what you own.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Good point Talent, and may I add, book more weekdays Mon-Thur, which are half the point cost. Start your reservation on Mon to maximize savings.

I just booked 11 nights at Kingsland next May gold season, phase 1 one br, 5100 points.