• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How long to keep Deeds where you no longer own?

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
What do most of you do with the Deeds to a timeshare where you no longer own? How long should we wait before shredding them? :shrug:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do most of you do with the Deeds to a timeshare where you no longer own? How long should we wait before shredding them? :shrug:

The important copy of your deed is filed at the local courthouse. They are public records and available to anyone to see. So I see no need to keep a copy at home whether I own the property or not

It makes sense to keep a copy of your deeds as long as you own the property. I havent always done that but it makes sense. It can speed up a sale and save a little money when you do sell but any competent transfer company will be able to find the deed filed at the local courthouse

After you sell it I don't see any reason to keep a copy.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Great information. I figured that there would be no need to keep the deeds years after we are no longer the owners. I've got a few deeds to shred.
Thanks so much.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
One option would be to scan the first page or two for your files, and shred the hard copies.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Why waste the time and effort to shred them? They are public records, available to anyone. No one can do anything with a deed. Possession of a deed grants no rights in it.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I throw them out. The information is available online and is included in public records. When I sell a timeshare I often have the closing companies get the deeds for me. Its easier for me and the records are all in one place.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Agree there're easy to get a valid copy but I keep deeds in my free safe deposit box. If I ever need more space, I'll trash them.

Cheers

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Frankly, it's more important to keep docs relating to the sale in case there are issues.
I'd scan to the 'puter and keep hard copies for ~ a year.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Many thanks to all of you. Your information was a great help.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly, it's more important to keep docs relating to the sale in case there are issues.
I'd scan to the 'puter and keep hard copies for ~ a year.

Good advice and worth reinforcing, to which I will add a few thoughts. Deeds become old news as soon as a new deed for transfer of ownership is recorded, but it's important to verify that the new deed with a new owner contains all correct information and details on unit / week and grantor / grantee identification. It is also important to confirm that the resort received a copy of the new recorded deed reflecting the new owner info, either from the closing company or from the "grantor".

Absent verification of recording (and content accuracy) of new deed --- and separate confirmation of receipt of a copy by the resort, the first surprise sign of a problem could be the unwelcome receipt of a maintenance fee bill months later by the would-be grantor, who "assumed" that the transaction had been "all wrapped up". :annoyed:

Last edited: