• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] Cancelling a Wyndham timeshare

gr678537

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the good information here.
I am sending a cancellation to Wyndham for I timeshare that I purchased yesterday - realized after reading the book it is not as great as it appeared (and after reading much more here).
The question I have is the sales contract lists two addresses I could send to. It says I can send it to a P.O. Box in Las Vegas, NV or I can send it to a physical address in Las Vegas, NV. The State of Virginia contract addendum only lists the P.O. Box. Should I just send it to the P.O. box or should I send it to both addresses to make sure they get it. I don't want to mess things up by sending two cancellations if that is a problem.

Thanks

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Should I just send it to the P.O. box or should I send it to both addresses to make sure they get it. I don't want to mess things up by sending two cancellations if that is a problem.

Thanks
I don't see a problem sending it to both addresses and it may make you feel better knowing that you've covered all the bases. Probably the PO Box is fine, though.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely go with P.O. box and specified mode of sending. Either way will end up in Suite 130 on Charleston Boulevard.

However, you are dealing with a precise legal matter and Wyndham abhors rescissions.

gr678537

Reaction score
Definitely go with P.O. box and specified mode of sending. Either way will end up in Suite 130 on Charleston Boulevard.

However, you are dealing with a precise legal matter and Wyndham abhors rescissions.

Are you suggesting that I might have problems with the cancellation of the contract with Wyndham??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you suggesting that I might have problems with the cancellation of the contract with Wyndham??

You have a legal right to rescind - Wyndham can't change that - but you have to follow the rescinding terms.

However, they may use stalling tactics, to try to get you to change your mind, or wait too long - don't call them, or talk to them.

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the good information here.
I am sending a cancellation to Wyndham for I timeshare that I purchased yesterday - realized after reading the book it is not as great as it appeared (and after reading much more here).
The question I have is the sales contract lists two addresses I could send to. It says I can send it to a P.O. Box in Las Vegas, NV or I can send it to a physical address in Las Vegas, NV. The State of Virginia contract addendum only lists the P.O. Box. Should I just send it to the P.O. box or should I send it to both addresses to make sure they get it. I don't want to mess things up by sending two cancellations if that is a problem.

Thanks
i think its a fantastic system, just not for the price you paid. its one of the best systems around in my opinion, resale of course! After you rescind youll have plenty of time to research wyndham as well as other timeshares to make an informed decision without a time crunch and pressure. Dont buy anything else for awhile.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score

NO! I have not seen a single post where when recession instructions were precisely followed where it has been denied.

Problems arise if you Fed Ex to a P.O. Box, send to Wyndham President, let sales person BS you until rescission period expires, etc.

It is a relatively simple process mandated by state law and Developers comply!

gr678537

Reaction score
NO! I have not seen a single post where when recession instructions were precisely followed where it has been denied.

Problems arise if you Fed Ex to a P.O. Box, send to Wyndham President, let sales person BS you until rescission period expires, etc.

It is a relatively simple process mandated by state law and Developers comply!

Thanks, I was planning on following the instructions (within 10 days, certified mail - return receipt, to the address listed) Just wasn't sure about the P.O. Box vs. the physical address.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
i think its a fantastic system, just not for the price you paid. its one of the best systems around in my opinion, resale of course! After you rescind youll have plenty of time to research wyndham as well as other timeshares to make an informed decision without a time crunch and pressure. Dont buy anything else for awhile.

I have to agree here. You are 100% correct to rescind a retail Wyndham purchase. There are only a few that are worse if looked at in dollars and cents vs value.

But don't discount Wyndham ownership as a bad thing. You can buy resale literally for nothing but closing (and may even get that thrown in). It is the exact same points you are going to rescind retail as a terrible purchase that are a great value at resale! After you safely rescind take a breather than recall all the good stuff you bought that 10K + package for and think if it might be worth spending $1000 or less to get? I'll bet it is and we enjoyed over 15 years in that system that only seemed to get better in choices and locations although they have issues in sales & customer service. You can largely avoid those, enjoy the fruits of a low to no cost resale and then, when you are done, offer it for little or nothing just as you got it. Your cost is only the annual fees and it's easy to get the full value and more from those.

So come on back and look at a resale. You may find a great deal for the taking. And congratulations for figuring out -in plenty of time - that retail Wyndham, or any timeshare, is NOT the way to buy.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was planning on following the instructions (within 10 days, certified mail - return receipt, to the address listed) Just wasn't sure about the P.O. Box vs. the physical address.

You are better of sending to the physical address.

With certified mail to a PO box the postal service leaves a notification and then a person has to go to the post office and sign for the certified item.

Sending to the physical address requires someone to sign to accept delivery then, and is not subject to the delays inherent in sending to a PO Box.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most corporations make a daily trip, or employ a courier service to pick up at the post office for all PO BOX Mail including certified, the post office incudes the street mail with the post office box in the same bins.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

With certified mail to a PO box the postal service leaves a notification and then a person has to go to the post office and sign for the certified item.

Sending to the physical address requires someone to sign to accept delivery then, and is not subject to the delays inherent in sending to a PO Box.

Cover yourself. Send to both and the developer will be unable to dispute your claim to cancel. Don't nickel and dime on the $6.00 certified mail postage......

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The recision address listed is all that is required don't over think it

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter...

1. I strongly recommend sending the rescission letter to both addresses, although the written cancellation instructions provided to you likely specify one over the other. What's a few extra cents or a few more minutes' time in a multi-thousand dollar transaction?

2. Neither date of receipt nor "signature receipt" ultimately matter one bit. In the final analysis, all that matters in the eyes of the law is that you can produce documentary proof of postmark date of your rescission in the event that Wyndham challenges the "timeliness" of your cancellation action (...which is highly unlikely, as they know the law is on your side, not theirs, in such matters.

3. Well done. You're avoiding a big and expensive mistake. You'll likely find virtually the same "product" offered in the resale market for mere pennies.

gr678537

Reaction score
Thanks again for all of the help and support. I am happy to say that today on my credit card account I see the refund in full for the initial monies that I paid Wyndham.

I ended up sending the certified mail to the PO Box adress listed in the contract. They called every day for a few days but they never left a message. I resisted calling to check on the refund and let the system do its job (even though I was very anxious about it). I know that I didn't need to be anxious but that is my personality until things are finalized.

I do think the Wyndham program has some nice features to it but now I can take the time, research, and proceed wisely.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
glad you found TUG in time to save tens of thousands of dollars =)

plue1688

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancelling a Wyndham timeshare

So we just cancelled our Wyndham timeshare today. We bought it on July 12 from the developers itself. My question is how soon can you buy a resale Wyndham timeshare? Can you buy a resale already while our timeshare that we cancelled is still in the process?

Thank you for the replies!

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
So we just cancelled our Wyndham timeshare today. We bought it on July 12 from the developers itself. My question is how soon can you buy a resale Wyndham timeshare? Can you buy a resale already while our timeshare that we cancelled is still in the process?

Yes, you could buy resale today.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is how soon can you buy a resale Wyndham timeshare? Can you buy a resale already while our timeshare that we cancelled is still in the process?

As was already said, yes you can. But my questions is why do it today?

For people who just rescinded their developer purchase, we usually recommend taking lots of time (at least six months or so) to research, research, research. Many of those resale deals will be there six months down the road. Some might be even offered for free if you know where to look.

Even if you can acquire one for free, take the time to do some soul searching and figure out if timesharing suits your travel needs, preferences, and budget. In the New To Timeshares forum, there is a sticky for people in your situation where you can analyze your situation with a number of important questions and figure out if owning a TS is right for you. And, if so, what sort of system:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208742

So I personally would encourage you to take a look at that thread and then take some time to figure out what would be best for you. I know the sales people at these presentations are trained to tell people like you that owning a TS that they're trying to sell will make for your best vacations ever but that is simply not the case.

Last edited:

plue1688

TUG Member
Reaction score
As was already said, yes you can. But my questions is why do it today?

For people who just rescinded their developer purchase, we usually recommend taking lots of time (at least six months or so) to research, research, research. Many of those resale deals will be there six months down the road. Some might be even offered for free if you know where to look.

Even if you can acquire one for free, take the time to do some soul searching and figure out if timesharing suits your travel needs, preferences, and budget. In the New To Timeshares forum, there is a sticky for people in your situation where you can analyze your situation with a number of important questions and figure out if owning a TS is right for you. And, if so, what sort of system:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208742

So I personally would encourage you to take a look at that thread and then take some time to figure out what would be best for you. I know the sales people at these presentations are trained to tell people like you that owning a TS that they're trying to sell will make for your best vacations ever but that is simply not the case.

We've been meaning to buy a timeshare for a long time since we go to the Philippines every year for two weeks. We haven't heard of resale timeshare until we told to one our friends that we just bought a timeshare from the developer and they told us that their timeshare was a resale and it was super cheap! Thats why we cancelled immediately our timeshare to save thousands of dollars. We really like to travel and our son enjoys it the most.

I have a question, so when we bought the timeshare we got a member id so I can sign up online. So since we cancelled our timeshare, am I going to lose that member id? If I buy a resale timeshare, will I get a new member id? Thank you for replying!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I have a question, so when we bought the timeshare we got a member id so I can sign up online. So since we cancelled our timeshare, am I going to lose that member id? If I buy a resale timeshare, will I get a new member id? Thank you for replying!
Assuming you rescinded your purchase within the time period allowed, your rescission canceled your purchase contract so you wouldn't have a valid membership.

Should you purchase a resale timeshare, once your ownership is registered with the company I would assume you would be assigned a new member number.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Since your purchase was from Wyndham, that purchase also necessarily included a RCI membership, which would be cancelled upon processing of your rescission (...if it had been initiated yet at all). So, I guess I'm not personally sure if you're asking about your Wyndham account number or your RCI member number. :shrug:

If / when you decide to buy resale in the future outside of Wyndham, your purchase (unless it's a RCI Points ownership) will not include RCI membership. In that case, if interested in RCI, you would have to independently purchase a RCI membership on your own (if your resort of purchase is affiliated with RCI in the first place).

I hope this adds some clarity instead of any confusion --- I just wasn't clear if you were asking about Wyndham account number or RCI "membership" number.

To your other question yes, you can most certainly pursue a resale Wyndham purchase while rescission (cancellation) of your developer-direct purchase is in process. Frankly, any resale purchase you initiate now will take a whole lot longer to conclude than the time it will take for Wyndham to process your submitted rescission.

plue1688

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since your purchase was from Wyndham, that purchase also necessarily included a RCI membership, which would be cancelled upon processing of your rescission (...if it had been initiated yet at all). So, I guess I'm not personally sure if you're asking about your Wyndham account number or your RCI member number. :shrug:

If / when you decide to buy resale in the future outside of Wyndham, your purchase (unless it's a RCI Points ownership) will not include RCI membership. In that case, if interested in RCI, you would have to independently purchase a RCI membership on your own (if your resort of purchase is affiliated with RCI in the first place).

I hope this adds some clarity instead of any confusion --- I just wasn't clear if you were asking about Wyndham account number or RCI "membership" number.

To your other question yes, you can most certainly pursue a resale Wyndham purchase while rescission (cancellation) of your developer-direct purchase is in process. Frankly, any resale purchase you initiate now will take a whole lot longer to conclude than the time it will take for Wyndham to process your submitted rescission.

Thank you! This made a lot of sense! We ended up buying resale Rci property that has 59000 points with 640 MF for 300$! We are by happy with our purchase. About our cancellation with Wyndham, it's in the process now thank God.