• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Villas; Owner Reservation Questions

bcottle

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking about buying a platinum week at NCV. Someone told us that if we wanted to have a reasonable chance of reserving a summer week that we should consider buying two platinum weeks because Marriott gives priority reservation status to multiple week Marriott owners. Does anyone know if that is true? Also, do Marriott point owners get priority when making reservations over deeded owners? Do people who buy from a reseller or a private party have a lower priority making reservations versus owners who buy direct from Marriott? Any & all comments are appreciated!

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking about buying a platinum week at NCV. Someone told us that if we wanted to have a reasonable chance of reserving a summer week that we should consider buying two platinum weeks because Marriott gives priority reservation status to multiple week Marriott owners. Does anyone know if that is true? Also, do Marriott point owners get priority when making reservations over deeded owners? Do people who buy from a reseller or a private party have a lower priority making reservations versus owners who buy direct from Marriott? Any & all comments are appreciated!

I am sure that an owner an NCV will be along soon to give you good inside information on the resort but I will attempt to answer some f the more general questions for you.

First, annecdotal evidence from reports here about issues reserving prime weeks at NCV do indicate that there can be issues in getting prime weeks at NCV due simply to the very high demand. Basically it woud seem that demand can outstrip supply for prime weeks and that calling in at exactly 9am EST or being online at that time can still result in dissapointmet.

Buying two weeks would allow you to reserve 2 weeks (consecutive or concurrent) at 13 months in advance rather than at 12 months for single week reservations. However only 50% of inventory is released at 13 months for reservation to ensure that single week owners do get a chance to make a reservation.

Points reservations do not get any preference over weeks owners in reservations. Premier plus points members can reserve at 13 months however. `points owners only have access to inventory that is available for points reservations - that is separate inventory from weeks owners. So points reservations compete against other points members for reservations and not against weeks owners.

Weeks purchased on the external resale market are not dissadvantaged for reservations. all week owners are equal in that respect. Resale weeks are only now not able to join the DC points system nor can they be exchnged for Marriott Reward points.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely buy 2 if you can afford because;

* You can use the 13 month reservation rule to make it easier to secure summer weeks.
* Renting the 2nd unit is easy and profitable through Redweek. You can make $800+ over MFs
* Multi-week owners are given room assignments priority
* If you buy resale at a good price you will always be able to sell at what you bought it for or perhaps a tad more.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just a FYI Gold weeks ( Jan - May) owners at NCV have no problems at all reserving their weeks This problem is solely the 12 weeks of Summer (mid-June - Sept). NCV made a mistake making platinum season way too long and most owners want summer weeks but the season runs to New Years.

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
There is hope!

We bought our first timeshare, a one week Marriott Platinum week in 2009 at NPC as a resale not from Marriott. Use is every even year with first use in 2010. In 2010, 2012, and 2014, I was always able to book a week in later part of June :) knowing July and August would be more difficult to reserve. Only once (in 2014) did I not get my requested week because I forgot to call 12 months ahead to reserve being about a week late. Though I couldn't get a Saturday check-in, the only week available was the week before my desired date with Friday check in versus Saturday. Still got the later part of June. So no complaints. We've always enjoyed our stays at NPC. In Dec. 2013 bought into Destination Club and enrolled NPC week to convert our NPC week to points at our option to get more points to trade elsewhere for larger units or more vacation time. :cheer: