• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What makes the Maui Ocean Club so special for us.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reflecting after 2 glorious weeks at this resort I’d like to share why my family feels this is such a special place. If for no other reason to make me feel better after now making it all the way back home to Long Island.

I’m focusing on the original section but many of these can apply to the new towers as well.

1.It’s the perfect size. It’s big enough to handle all the Marriott guests but we feel it’s just the right size that it doesn’t take more than a few minutes from anywhere to anywhere in the resort.

2.Closeness to Whaler’s Village and Black Rock and Front St. We love both these spots. Had some great meals at Leilani’s ($5 Taco Tuesday and the $5 pork, crab and beef sliders are a can’t miss) and the Black Rock is a really nice swimming and snorkeling spot and only a few minutes to walk. We love just walking up and down Front St.

3.The common areas are beautifully landscaped and very well maintained. The MOC really has a few nice spots to just sit and enjoy the garden scenery.

4.The units are very large. The 2 BDRM units are huge with the 3BTHs but so are the IBDRM units. The 2nd week we were in a spectacular 1BDRM 9th floor OF corner unit after we rented the studio at the last minute for some more spending money. With a roll away bed and the size of the corner unit we were again very comfortable with my daughter in the comfy roll away and son on sofa bed. We’ve come to the conclusion we could always be comfortable in a 1BDRM with a corner unit they are so big which is a great value.

5.The pools including those at the new towers are excellent and extremely well cleaned. The Super Pool speaks for itself but we really liked swimming in the other pools at the new towers for a little quieter swim in the early evenings.

6.It is a great value. Maintenance fees for a 2BDRM in the original section is still under $2000. We basically spent $350 for an amazing 1BDRM OF penthouse corner unit which was even nicer than it sounds. An amazing value.

This was our 6th trip in 12 years as a family to Maui and every time we go we wonder if our love affair with the island and the MOC will lose some of it’s luster but every time we fall in love even more.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also feel the same way. We spend a lot of time on Maui at both the MOC and the WKORV-N. Although we enjoy both places, the MOC is as you described, so we sold the WKORV-N and will now spend most of our time at the MOC. The place just "feels like Hawaii".

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Reflecting after 2 glorious weeks at this resort I’d like to share why my family feels this is such a special place. If for no other reason to make me feel better after now making it all the way back home to Long Island.

I’m focusing on the original section but many of these can apply to the new towers as well.

1.It’s the perfect size. It’s big enough to handle all the Marriott guests but we feel it’s just the right size that it doesn’t take more than a few minutes from anywhere to anywhere in the resort.

2.Closeness to Whaler’s Village and Black Rock and Front St. We love both these spots. Had some great meals at Leilani’s ($5 Taco Tuesday and the $5 pork, crab and beef sliders are a can’t miss) and the Black Rock is a really nice swimming and snorkeling spot and only a few minutes to walk. We love just walking up and down Front St.

3.The common areas are beautifully landscaped and very well maintained. The MOC really has a few nice spots to just sit and enjoy the garden scenery.

4.The units are very large. The 2 BDRM units are huge with the 3BTHs but so are the IBDRM units. The 2nd week we were in a spectacular 1BDRM 9th floor OF corner unit after we rented the studio at the last minute for some more spending money. With a roll away bed and the size of the corner unit we were again very comfortable with my daughter in the comfy roll away and son on sofa bed. We’ve come to the conclusion we could always be comfortable in a 1BDRM with a corner unit they are so big which is a great value.

5.The pools including those at the new towers are excellent and extremely well cleaned. The Super Pool speaks for itself but we really liked swimming in the other pools at the new towers for a little quieter swim in the early evenings.

6.It is a great value. Maintenance fees for a 2BDRM in the original section is still under $2000. We basically spent $350 for an amazing 1BDRM OF penthouse corner unit which was even nicer than it sounds. An amazing value.

This was our 6th trip in 12 years as a family to Maui and every time we go we wonder if our love affair with the island and the MOC will lose some of it’s luster but every time we fall in love even more.

Joe,

I'm glad you had another great trip to Maui, and I agree with you -- MOC is a special place. I've always thought the location was very special, ideally located right on Kaanapali Beach, and yet spread out enough that it does not feel crowded -- not even in the Super Pool.

That 1BR penthouse corner unit sounds fantastic, were you in Molokai or Lanai tower? I saw one of those on a tour but have never stayed in one, nice work that you were able to get that.

Welcome back and thank you for the comments!

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Joe, thanks for your post. Glad you and your family enjoyed another great vacation at MOC.

We have visited but have never stayed there. We will be staying their next April and are really looking forward to it. Between GregT's, yours and others love for the resort and location, our excitement is growing more every time we read or talk about it.

Mike

taffy19

Reaction score
We also love staying here and when we arrive, we are always still in awe to see the beautiful view that awaits you when you walk through the lobby and see this and hear the sound of the rushing water plus Ka'anapali beach right in front of the resort and the Beachwalk all the way to Black Rock.

You can't beat this location and this view sold us on the spot. No regrets because we have a place to return to each year and already used it seven years on a row in our fixed unit.

i-qBrWV53-L.jpg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We also love staying here and when we arrive, we are always still in awe to see the beautiful view that awaits you when you walk through the lobby and see this and hear the sound of the rushing water plus Ka'anapali beach right in front of the resort and the Beachwalk all the way to Black Rock.

You can't beat this location and this view sold us on the spot. No regrets because we have a place to return to each year and already used it seven years on a row in our fixed unit.

i-qBrWV53-L.jpg

Emmy,

I love that picture and that spot too. Every year I take a picture of my children on that bridge so I can see them grow (and they are growing fast!).

Thank you for linking the album in your "fixed unit" link above, I'd not seen some of those pictures. Picture #82, the sales rep is standing right where I sit every morning. I take out the kitchen stool so I get a little more height to see over the railing (which is a bad height) and I look out towards Lanai and Molokai. I love that spot -- and you are right in pic #84, that's 6206!

Thanks again for posting the pictures!

Best,

Greg

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shhh! I'm always torn between telling everyone how great MOC is, and being afraid that it will become TOO popular. I don't care that it's easy to rent, has good points value etc. since we always use our weeks for ourselves. After 7 years we still love the place, and we haven't yet gotten the grandkids out there, which will surely be another thrill. It is a super property for all ages, as far as I can tell.

My only gripe - the parking - not enough of it, especially by Napili, where we own. But the year that it really mattered, when I was on crutches, the valets were terrific.

snowgoose

Reaction score
I agree 110% with you Joe.

I've been using my two weeks there since I purchased. I have no deisre to go elsewhere - that's why we purchased MOC in 2000.

:wave:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Emmy,

I love that picture and that spot too. Every year I take a picture of my children on that bridge so I can see them grow (and they are growing fast!).

Thank you for linking the album in your "fixed unit" link above, I'd not seen some of those pictures. Picture #82, the sales rep is standing right where I sit every morning. I take out the kitchen stool so I get a little more height to see over the railing (which is a bad height) and I look out towards Lanai and Molokai. I love that spot -- and you are right in pic #84, that's 6206!

Thanks again for posting the pictures!

Best,

Greg

Emmy, those pictures are just spectacular .. I can see why all of you love this resort and those ocean front units….maybe have to use DC points to get into one of them :eek:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in the Molokai Tower looking out towards Whaler's Village. We gave a list of five rooms on our request and this was second choice with the first being the other corner that overlooks the pool.

Tip for anyone going that the happy hour 3-5 at Leilani's is one of the best values if you like fish and pork tacos that are $5 each on Tuesdays. The other days the burger and crab and pork sliders are also $5 and are also delicious and very big.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I want my, I want my, I want my MOC...

After surviving the TSA gauntlet of probing and worse, a 5 hr flight with our fellow sardines (sorry to all those on the right coast), dealing with the bags and the rental car, and finally storing our bags at the registration desk at MOC, we make our way over to...

IMG_0682-XL.jpg

...and then a few feet more...

IMG_0039-X2.jpg

...and back to our home-away-from-home. Decompression begins, and the remainder of the decompression ensues at the pool bar, where we are temporarily ensconced with our eyes transfixed at the horizon and an umbrella drink in hand, until our room/s are ready.

This months mantra is "Nine more months, nine more months...".

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do like Maui Ocean Club - but to me the Westin knocked my socks off. I sayed at the Maui Ocean club (as a trade with a friend who owns Marriott) and I later used my Westin as a Starwood trade that I own.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lack of full kitchen would kill it for me. I've got 3 young kids, and without a real kitchen, that increases my dining costs significantly. Plus the kitchen is such an anchor, both in utility and for the feel of a true vacation home, that I just can't imagine going for it over the new towers or WKORV. I can't see it, but I've seen enough comments about the magic of the original MOC (maybe nostalgia?), that I know it must be real though.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The lack of full kitchen would kill it for me. I've got 3 young kids, and without a real kitchen, that increases my dining costs significantly. Plus the kitchen is such an anchor, both in utility and for the feel of a true vacation home, that I just can't imagine going for it over the new towers or WKORV. I can't see it, but I've seen enough comments about the magic of the original MOC (maybe nostalgia?), that I know it must be real though.

First thing is my wife cooks hundreds of meals a year so the last thing she wants to do is cook on vacation. At the same time if you eat out every meal at any resort area you're going to spend a fortune so I can see this being a problem for some.

However if you're creative the lack of kitchen doesn't have to increase your costs very much at all. Especially now that they added the convection oven and stove top in the lobby.

Breakfast and lunch are easy and there are a lot of inexpensive options at the super markets. The Safeway had nice cold cuts and fried chicken options that were perfect for lunch by the pool and about $3-5 per person.

We'd secure some nice pool chairs in the shade and some small tables and I'd run for lunch. We loved eating by the pool or beach and just sitting there for hours.

Also there is a lot of places with special happy hour/early - late bird that are really good food and inexpensive. We especially liked Dollie's happy hour and Leilani's for $5 tacos and sliders 3-5pm. The sliders were perfect for kids appetites.

Also we stopped at Costco and got a pizza and greek salad that we had for a few meals and we BBQ 4 times over 2 weeks so we really managed our food costs very well.

The one meal we felt was a terrible value was at the Paia Fishmarket. You would think a fish market would have quality frozen shrimp but it was like fast food pre-packaged frozen and the fish tacos were like canned tuna.

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
Joe
Using our 2015 destination points (and a tiny bit of 2016), we got a reservation to MOC for June 2015, our 1st stay here. A friend owned here and he loved it too. Thanks for all the great things we can look forward too. Yes, if I'm on vacation, I'm not doing too much cooking either tho breakfast and lunches can be quick and easy and occasional BBQ works.
Vanny

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Trading into MMO

I just received an II trade into MMO for next April for a 1BR Garden View and am trying to decide if I should keep it or try for a different trade. I can't find a map of the resort property to see where a Garden View room would be located. Would someone please share the map with me?

Our situation, we have two weeks reserved in the new towers (Mtn/Gdn view) using DC points. One week is a backup in case we didn't get a trade. We have two Sat-Sat reservations set up. The II trade we just received in a Fri-Fri week during the second week, so if we keep it, we will stay in the new tower for 6 nights and then MMO Garden view for 8 nights, assuming I can rearrange our points reservation. The timing isn't perfect, but it could work.

I am weighing whether it is best to accept this trade or wait for a different one. Any suggestions about this and which buildings in MMO would be best to ask for would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just received an II trade into MMO for next April for a 1BR Garden View and am trying to decide if I should keep it or try for a different trade. I can't find a map of the resort property to see where a Garden View room would be located. Would someone please share the map with me?

Our situation, we have two weeks reserved in the new towers (Mtn/Gdn view) using DC points. One week is a backup in case we didn't get a trade. We have two Sat-Sat reservations set up. The II trade we just received in a Fri-Fri week during the second week, so if we keep it, we will stay in the new tower for 6 nights and then MMO Garden view for 8 nights, assuming I can rearrange our points reservation. The timing isn't perfect, but it could work.

I am weighing whether it is best to accept this trade or wait for a different one. Any suggestions about this and which buildings in MMO would be best to ask for would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

Please see the attached -- I actually think that the MG views in MMO are good -- many have Peek-a-boo views of the ocean. Almost all of my MOC trades have been into MMO MG units and every time I visit the unit to see the view -- and each time have been impressed. These are not parking lot view units.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Please see the attached -- I actually think that the MG views in MMO are good -- many have Peek-a-boo views of the ocean. Almost all of my MOC trades have been into MMO MG units and every time I visit the unit to see the view -- and each time have been impressed. These are not parking lot view units.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Best,

Greg

Plus there are some beautiful rainbows visible from the MG views in MMO!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks Greg and Bastroum. Glad to hear there are no parking lot views and they can be quite good too. I will call Marriott and see if I can make the changes I need to make with our points ressie.

By the way, do we keep the resort maps somewhere on TUG for future reference?

Mike

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... By the way, do we keep the resort maps somewhere on TUG for future reference?

Mike

Dioxide's compilation thread is here; the link has also been updated in the Weeks FAQ.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We made a decision. We kept the trade into MMO 1BR Garden view and was able to cancel our DC points ressie and then reserve one additional night at MMO. So, we will have the following as it stands right now.

4/18-4/25. MM1 1BR MTN/GDN
4/24- 5/1. MMO 1BR GDN through II (from a free MFC week we won)
5/1-2. MMO same as above using DC points

We have one day of overlap, so will watch for a potential retrade of MMO for 4/25-5/2. Worst case we will have an easy transition of rooms if the retrade doesn't come through.

I love the flexibility of having the DC points. We are looking forward to two weeks on Maui.

Thanks again for the insights people provided.

Mike

elleny76

Reaction score
Marriott points

I am totally new and i love hawaii. How many point do i need (low season) to book 2 weeks in this location(mauii)? Can i buy a marriott points anywhere in the USA and use them in hawaii? thanks:whoopie:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I am totally new and i love hawaii. How many point do i need (low season) to book 2 weeks in this location(mauii)? Can i buy a marriott points anywhere in the USA and use them in hawaii? thanks:whoopie:

Welcome to TUG!!

You can view point requirements for all MVC resorts HERE.