• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is fair compensation?

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used a free category 5 certificate to stay at a Marriott Courtyard. When we arrived at 11:00 PM, they told us the hotel was oversold and they didn't have a room for us. They put us up in a LaQuinta Inn and paid for that night. The going rate for that room was $50 less than the Marriott.

Should we be compensated under Marriott's policy and what do you believe would be fair. Thanks in advance for your input.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We used a free category 5 certificate to stay at a Marriott Courtyard. When we arrived at 11:00 PM, they told us the hotel was oversold and they didn't have a room for us. They put us up in a LaQuinta Inn and paid for that night. The going rate for that room was $50 less than the Marriott.

Should we be compensated under Marriott's policy and what do you believe would be fair. Thanks in advance for your input.

Do you have any Elite status in Marriott Rewards?

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Answering dioxide will be very important. Marriott spells out compensation for being walked very specifically-for elites.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I found.

If hotel is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodations nearby for the Elite Member that night, and compensate the Member for the inconvenience.

We paid for the night at Courtyard (since they kept our certificate) but Marriott did pay for the accommodations nearby. I did not consider the LaQuinta to be comparable to the Courtyard.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you ask for compensation before you checked out?

From the elite membership terms & conditions.....

"If an Elite Member believes that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation."

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears the elite member compensation is limited to platinum members.

from the terms & conditions....

"If an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the hotel upon arrival, the property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation."

"AC Hotels, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn & Suites, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels $100 USD 90,000 points
(Platinum Elite Members only)"

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you ask for compensation before you checked out?

From the elite membership terms & conditions.....

"If an Elite Member believes that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation."

Yes, I was told that we would be provided 25,000 points. We have it written on the Managers business card (although it was the clerk who wrote it).

We received 5,000 points as compensation. Before I posted what compensation was being offered, I wanted to see what others thought would be fair. I am still requesting that they keep to their promise of 25,000 points. Our understanding was that our payment (in the form of reimbursement of the equivalent points) for the Marriott night would be refunded and Marriott would pay for our night at a nearby hotel that was supposed to be comparable. Is that standard compensation?

I am OK with what they offered as long as they actually provide what was promised. I called again. We will see how they respond.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
They should definitely refund your 25,000 points, because they kept your certificate. I consider points to be worth $.01, although Marriott charges $.0125 per point. Those points will get you another night in a category 5 hotel, probably not worth $250.

The issue for you is that the hotel they provided was not comparable to the Courtyard you booked. It might have been the only hotel with an available room that late at night? You could ask for some additional points to compensate for the lesser quality room provided.

It doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would follow up with an e-mail. Companies tend to take more time answering written correspondence instead of just trying to get you off the phone and on to the next customer in the queue. A written letter will also be taken more seriously IMO.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
The other thing you can do is submit an inquiry through Marriott.com. I get great results there. In any communication, tell them (unemotionally) that you were walked and as an elite you are eligible for...and list those items. Refunding of your 25k points plus the 90k points would be top priorities for me!

Please let us know what happens.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stuff happens. I've never been one to chase "compensation". Personally I would be happy they got me in the LaQuinta. It could have been a lesser chain.

George

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Stuff happens. I've never been one to chase "compensation". Personally I would be happy they got me in the LaQuinta. It could have been a lesser chain.

George

I don't disagree in some circumstances. However, there are certain parts of the MR program that Marriott offers to secure loyalty. This is one of them. I would personally ask for compensation for being walked. I have avoided looking for compensation for other things. This, IMHO, is a bigger deal. YMMV

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

George

+1

I'm with you George, 11PM, just give me a decent place to rest my head.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Since you did not stay at the Courtyard, without question you should get your free hotel cert back. They can not keep payment if they refused to get you a room at the courtyard.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Since you did not stay at the Courtyard, without question you should get your free hotel cert back. They can not keep payment if they refused to get you a room at the courtyard.

I would want the point equivalent-25k-or a new cert. They expire after a year-or 6 months if it was a Visa Cert. This could have been nearing the end of its life. As posted above, I would also want the other comp. for being walked.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It appears the elite member compensation is limited to platinum members.

from the terms & conditions....

"If an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the hotel upon arrival, the property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation."

"AC Hotels, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn & Suites, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels $100 USD 90,000 points
(Platinum Elite Members only)"

What is this 90,000 points? It can't be the compensation for being walked. That is worth at least $900.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

George

Marriott has not refunded what I "paid" for the Marriott even though I did not stay there.

It can't say that it made me happy to pay for the Marriott and then be switched upon arrival to stay at the LaQuinta.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
What is this 90,000 points? It can't be the compensation for being walked. That is worth at least $900.

That's exactly what it is.

The idea is to prevent elites from being walked. Originally, it was two nights certificates any place in the system. They replaced that with 90k points. (2 nights in a cat 9.)

You get all of the below.

1) Your money back
2) Cash
3) 90k points

This link is two years old. You can check marriott.com and see where 90k points is now reflected.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2012/12/29/marriott-rewards-elite-benefits-guarantees/

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please let us know what happens.

Marriott deposited 25,000 points (i.e. the equivalent to the value of the certificate used).

I would have been happy if they had done this as they had originally promised without me needing to follow up twice. I was not and still am not seeking any other compensation.

What prompted my post here is that the rep told me that under Marriott's policy that I was not entitled to any compensation since Marriott provided a room at an alternative hotel (even though I "paid" for the night at the Marriott which was more expensive).

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also received a check for $100 today from Marriott.

Apparently as an Elite member, we were entitled to the $100 under the Marriott Ultimate Reservation Guarantee.

This guarantee is a nice perk for Elite members.

If we were Platinum members, we also would have received an additional 90,000 points.

Ultimate Reservation Guarantee

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand. [ALL LEVELS]

https://www.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/EliteBenefits/MR_Elite_charts_UltReservation.gif

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I arrived at a Sacramento Residence Inn after midnight last Spring to find that they had walked me (a Platinum) because the new night clerk didn't know any better. The gentleman who drove the shuttle had already discovered the error and not only delivered me to my new (inferior) hotel, but arranged to pick me up the next morning (also in the wee hours) since I was meeting a co-worker in front of the hotel to ride to work. When I finally checked into the Residence Inn the next afternoon, the manager came with an apology and $100 cash in hand. He also advised me of when the 90K points would post. I was pretty annoyed in the middle of the night, but it was handled as well as it could have been and I will certainly enjoy using the extra points. My employer probably appreciated the free night's lodging.

Sheila