• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Surf Club Fees

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
We have an II exchange to the Surf Club this Saturday. I am trying to find out the most recent information regarding the fees and taxes. My friend has a two bdrm unit, so we would like to divide all charges. Last year I stayed at the Ocean Club, but I could not remember the fees paid. :hi:
Thanks for your help.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Environmental Levy is fixed: Studio - $9.50, One bedroom - $15.00, 2 bedroom - $25.00. Weekly fee.

Occupancy Tax which is charged on all occupied rooms in addition to Environmental tax: Studio - $9.50, One bedroom - $10.28, 2 bedroom - $11.88. Daily fee.

Lee55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club,
Marriott Aruba Surf Club,
& Marriott Grande Vista
Environmental Levy is fixed: Studio - $9.50, One bedroom - $15.00, 2 bedroom - $25.00. Weekly fee.

Occupancy Tax which is charged on all occupied rooms in addition to Environmental tax: Studio - $9.50, One bedroom - $10.28, 2 bedroom - $11.88. Daily fee.

Correct. Enjoy the Surf Club...:D

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks so much. We can hardly wait to return to Aruba.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I remember when we checked into the Surf Club two years ago on the Thursday before Labor Day. It took about an hour standing on line to get checked. I hope that it will not be as bad this trip. The resort was packed with children all over the place. You can tell that many of the students in the north do not return to school until after Labor Day. Enjoy!
Last year we were at the Ocean Club. It is very laid back and quiet, but with no lazy river.

mclyne

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Ocean Club and not having the Lazy River is a small price to pay when I see what goes on at the Surf Club.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Completely understandable. It was like the difference between day and night.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Just to provide some balance- some people prefer the Ocean club, while others much prefer the Surf Club. The OC is quieter and more laid back, but the pools are much nicer at the SC ( IMHO of course). I also think the villas are a bit nicer. The bottom line is you're in Aruba, which is a great vacation destination- friendly people, relatively safe environs, almost guaranteed great weather any time of the year, and great restaurants to choose from.

Btw- I waited less than 5 minutes to check in 2 weeks ago. They even had the master portion of my 3 BR ready early, before 3, which was great since we had an infant with us. They called several times during the week to see if everything was ok and if we needed anything; service was great!!

Enjoy your trip!!

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Just note that the crazy check in was only during the Labor Day weekend. We had a one hour wait standing on line. The place was packed during this final holiday of the summer for most vacationers from the US. According to a security guard, many of the children there were from South America who were still out on holiday. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While I don't know if it is better organization or a side benefit of staggered check-in days because of the DC, but check in lines eased when they expanded the check in days to Thursday- Monday and got even a tad better over the past couple of years. While 15-39 minute waits were commonplace a few years back, during the last several trips there were only a few people on line at most.

Have a great trip!

Btw- surprised that there were so many kids checking in for Labor Day weekend. Even in e NE, the schools begin either the day after or two days after Labor Day, so the week ending with Labor Day weekend is the biggie, not the week beginning with it.

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Checked in to the SC on a Monday this past July 4th week. One person wait. Also leaving on a Monday makes customs so much easier. Do Monday if possible. You will love Aruba even more.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
The thing is, during Labor Day weekend many of the owners and guests were from South America. I was trying to figure out why so many children were at the Surf Club. A very nice security guard told us most of the folks were from SA. You are right about staggering the check in days. We were shocked to have an hour wait on a Thursday. When going past the lobby on that Saturday, the line was just as long. It was one of the busiest times of the year at the Surf Club.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Update:
We checked into the Surf Club on Thursday to no wait at all! It was a breeze. I was informed that the regular check in location is now only for the Lighthouse and Compass Towers. The other two buildings now have their own check in desk.
It's not jam packed with children all over the place. We've been able to park in the covered parking garage behind/below the Lighthouse Tower.
So far, so good. What a wonderful place to vacation.
Safe travels to all.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
How do you know what building to check-in? Are they sending out your room assignment before you get there?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update:
We checked into the Surf Club on Thursday to no wait at all! It was a breeze. I was informed that the regular check in location is now only for the Lighthouse and Compass Towers. The other two buildings now have their own check in desk.
It's not jam packed with children all over the place. We've been able to park in the covered parking garage behind/below the Lighthouse Tower.
So far, so good. What a wonderful place to vacation.
Safe travels to all.

Surprising- it wasn't that way 2 weeks ago, and they'd have to notify owners beforehand what building they'd be in for OV and GV.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I'm not sure since this reservation was in my friend's name. She received an email a week before this vacation asking for her requests. I think that they contact you in advance, so they do have an idea of which building you're assigned. At that point you should be told where to check in, I guess. We only know about the additional check in from our wonderful bellman.
Best travels to all.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, there are only 3 buildings, and while the email for requests is received about 3 weeks before, there is no follow-up with building assignment.
There might have been a misunderstanding, unless something was changed in the last two weeks since we returned.

Have a wonderful trip! Hope you enjoy Aruba as much as we do!!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My DD is heading to Ocean Club in 2 weeks to celebrate her honeymoon. :banana:

Does OC have it's own check-in location or does it share with one of the other resorts?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
My DD is heading to Ocean Club in 2 weeks to celebrate her honeymoon. :banana:

Does OC have it's own check-in location or does it share with one of the other resorts?

OC is a full service resort, complete with its own check in/front desk, etc.

She'll love it there.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Terry- congrats!
They'll have a great honeymoon. Hope you and your wife were able to book your own post wedding relaxation trip that you had mentioned awhile back.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry- congrats!
They'll have a great honeymoon. Hope you and your wife were able to book your own post wedding relaxation trip that you had mentioned awhile back.

Thanks. Yes, we booked Desert Springs Villas I in October using that anonymous AC that showed up in our (and most others') II account a couple of months back.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Let me check at the front desk tomorrow. Maybe the bellman was incorrect.

My friend found the free water taxi today after she walked the beach to the Divi Phoenix. It travels between the Divi and the SurfClub daily.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Ok, yes there is a separate check in for anyone staying in the Spyglass building. According to the front desk, the Surf Club assigns the units prior to your arrival. They email you a few weeks in advance asking for your preference. Upon your arrival changes can be made according to what is available in the building where they have assigned you. The second check in desk is only open from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Anyone assigned to Spyglass arriving after 6 PM, is assisted at the Surf Club front desk. The bellmen transport your luggage to the Spyglass building.

Btw, the parking garage under the Lighthouse Tower is closed as of yesterday. SC is beginning unit renovations and that parking garage is where materials and other equipment will be stored during construction. We've been parking there since Saturday, so we were not happy about walking from the regular parking lot. It will be harder to park though with fewer spaces available. We loved being able to walk straight to the elevator in the Lighthouse building. Oh well, we are on vacation, so this is no big deal.