• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking Maui Lahaina - MAD!

banquopack

TUG Member
Reaction score
:mad:
Who do I call and yell at. Besides myself.

I have Ocean Front Maui Lahaina towers, and one other week in the old maui building. So I should qualify for the 13 month booking, right?

Well so far this year, I have yet to find a SINGLE week I could book in 2012. Not one. Just for kicks, I tried for only the 1br side, still nothing. The studio actually shows a handful of weeks - amazing. :annoyed:

Anybody have luck booking there in 2012 for a 2br? Either with your week or points? I'm super grumpy! :crash:

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
This post scares me. I have read other posts relating to people having trouble making 13 month reservations since the new points system started when they have never had trouble before. This is the first post I have seen relating specifically to MOC.

It worries me because we have only one two week period in 2012 when we can go, and if I cannot make 13th month reservations for that period (as I always have been able to do), we are not going next year. However, we have two one br units in the old building, and when I login to my account, and look at the 12 month availability, pretty much every week except President's Day weekend has availability. So, I am not sure what to think.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have Ocean Front Maui Lahaina towers, and one other week in the old maui building. So I should qualify for the 13 month booking, right?

Well so far this year, I have yet to find a SINGLE week I could book in 2012. Not one. Just for kicks, I tried for only the 1br side, still nothing. The studio actually shows a handful of weeks - amazing. :annoyed:

Anybody have luck booking there in 2012 for a 2br? Either with your week or points? I'm super grumpy! :crash:

I'm surprised to hear of your problems. Since I reserved my President 2012 weeks in January with no problem I thought perhaps the DC was helping weeks owners availability.

I also just secured our first class AA tickets (our 5th such trip but sadly likely our last because of AA/MR divorce) for our trip next year.

banquopack

TUG Member
Reaction score
So when you booked, did you call? online? Hit refresh waiting for the week to show up? Or just get it no problem?

I'm really annoyed there is nothing.

MauiLover - my 2br in the old building shows a large amount available.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weren't the vast majority of Lahaina Villas ocean front sold as fixed weeks?

Not minimizing the problem. Just trying to explain why it might exist.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Weren't the vast majority of Lahaina Villas ocean front sold as fixed weeks?

Not minimizing the problem. Just trying to explain why it might exist.

A modest majority in Lahaina Tower were fixed weeks, but most in Napili were floating weeks. The majority in the two towers that trade together are floating. This does not explain why this year is harder.

Some here may recall that I tried in late January to book 4 consecutive weeks in Hawaii at the 13 month window. I got the January 28 week in Ko Olina easily and the February 4 week in Maui (but not the guest room we wanted), but could not get the February 11 week in Maui (new towers) with with either the 2BR, 1BR or Guest Room. I did get it at the 12 month mark, but I have never gotten a good explanation of how I could have missed so far ahead.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
2012 Maui Ocean Club availability in the original building is still very good. We just made our reservation for spring break next year without any problem. I think the good availability corresponds to the fact that the original building was largely sold out to legacy weeks owners.

For the new Lahaina and Napili towers, there were quite a few unsold weeks. With the introduction of the Destinations Club, those unsold weeks were placed in the trust inventory. Legacy weeks owners do not have access to the trust inventory. That is why you are finding 2012 availability problems. This example seems to indicate that Marriott is claiming the prime weeks for the trust and leaving the less-desirable periods for legacy weeks owners. Exactly the scenario that I feared.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
For the new Lahaina and Napili towers, there were quite a few unsold weeks. With the introduction of the Destinations Club, those unsold weeks were placed in the trust inventory. Legacy weeks owners do not have access to the trust inventory. That is why you are finding 2012 availability problems. This example seems to indicate that Marriott is claiming the prime weeks for the trust and leaving the less-desirable periods for legacy weeks owners. Exactly the scenario that I feared.

This unsold weeks point is a myth that keeps getting repeated. Lahaina Tower was totally sold out except for five or six fixed weeks. Napili was mostly sold, but there were some weeks left. However, most of those were island view units. There were not a lot of unsold ocean front weeks.

However, I am concerned that you are correct on your point about Marriott claiming the prime weeks for points reservations. If they reserve most of the trust's prime weeks for points reservations, it could in fact significantly diminish the pool available to legacy weeks owners and explain some of the problems we are seeing for next winter.

Last edited:

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a myth that keeps getting repeated. Lahaina Tower was totally sold out except for five or six fixed weeks. Napili was mostly sold, but there were some weeks left. However, most of those were island view units. There were not a lot of unsold ocean front weeks.

Island view is a nice way to put it, parking lot view is probably a more accurate way to put it.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
This is a myth that keeps getting repeated. Lahaina Tower was totally sold out except for five or six fixed weeks. Napili was mostly sold, but there were some weeks left. However, most of those were island view units. There were not a lot of unsold ocean front weeks.
The Maui Ocean Club sales team were still selling weeks quite aggressively - all the way up until the DC was introduced in June 2010. I don't know how they could do that if the new towers were basically sold-out as you claim.

Last edited:

banquopack

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Maui Ocean Club sales team were still selling weeks quite aggressively - all the way up until the DC was introduced in June 2010. I don't know how they could do that if the new towers were basically sold-out as you claim.

Exactly. Mark me as the timeshare local dunce :wave: but we bought in the last week before they shut off week sales for the DC. Specifically because we WANT TO BE IN MAUI. There were both OF and OV floating units available in decent quantity (we could have bought 3 or 4 weeks of OF if we wanted), and although it means nothing our title shows an OF unit in the Lahaina building. So they certainly weren't close to selling out.

I suppose I'll start with the lovely vacation advisers with my reservation problems and move on from there. I'll be very grumpy if I can't get a week until October. Let me know if anybody has tips beyond that!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

Because they still had some units and it was their last chance to earn commissions on them. We were at the Westin Kaanapali timeshare in January and they only had 5 OF weeks left, but they were aggressively trying to close them out. Seems logical to me.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
.....we bought in the last week before they shut off week sales for the DC. Specifically because we WANT TO BE IN MAUI. There were both OF and OV floating units available in decent quantity (we could have bought 3 or 4 weeks of OF if we wanted), and although it means nothing our title shows an OF unit in the Lahaina building. So they certainly weren't close to selling out.

Huh? So because you could have bought 3 or 4 OF weeks that means they were "not close to selling out"? The whole MOC was at least 96% sold out when the switch was made to DC, which that does not leave a lot of unsold weeks. And most of the unsold weeks were not OF. (If your deed shows Lahaina Tower it must be one they got back from a foreclosure because Lahaina Tower floating weeks were 100% sold out in 2009.)

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score

I had trouble reserving my lock-offs at the 13 month mark. In my case I think Marriott figured out I always rented those weeks out and they decided to invoke the "Owner Occupancy Only" clause on me. The other possibility is the new Shadow Ridge reservation docs now give them the ability to manipulate availability during peak times, though it never states what they can actually do.

I had to wait until the 12 month mark to make my reservations. Will I ever really know why I had a problem this year? Probably not, but on the bright side, it made me read the new reservation document. :)

Cheers!

Time2Buy

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck booking June 2012 weeks? 12-month window opened this morning for June 22-24 check-in dates.

Greg

molemay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked June 16-23 at the 13 month mark with no problem. I did call at 9am EST to do it. I tried to get a 3 bedroom Ko Olina this morning for June 23rd and it was already gone.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
In the absence of facts, we are relegated to antidotal stories. Since very few complain about success, one rarely hears of good experiences. We need a database where all MOC legacy owners update both their failures AND successes.

We have friends that own two OF 2 BR suites (older units) and booked at 13 months out in April for mid-May weeks, of which one was split. No problem. In mid-May we split our OF 2 BR villas (new units) and booked at 12 months out. No problem. I have no idea if this is normal or not without a database.

Hope this antidotal information is useful…
:)

Time2Buy

Reaction score
At 12-Month Mark

I was successful in booking a 2BR LO Mountain/Garden View this morning for June 23-30 2012.

Greg

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no problem booking our 1BRs in the old section at 13 months for consecutive weeks beginning July 13th.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to try the following week. Some people reserve their second choice week first, just in case their first choice is gone at 9:01am the following week.

This happened to us two years ago when we traded our Waiohai with a Westin Maui owner. The first week she couldn't get our exact check-in day but tried again the following week and that day had opened up, because somebody changed their reservation.

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
This unsold weeks point is a myth that keeps getting repeated. Lahaina Tower was totally sold out except for five or six fixed weeks. Napili was mostly sold, but there were some weeks left. However, most of those were island view units. There were not a lot of unsold ocean front weeks. . . .

It should be possible for someone who can translate the unit numbers to rooms to determine what and how many views are in the Trust.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
This unsold weeks point is a myth that keeps getting repeated. Lahaina Tower was totally sold out except for five or six fixed weeks. Napili was mostly sold, but there were some weeks left. However, most of those were island view units. There were not a lot of unsold ocean front weeks.
Not a myth. I see from another thread that there is significant inventory from Maui Ocean Club Sequel (Lahaina/Napili towers) that is now part of the Destinations Club trust properties.

See http://tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1111325&postcount=124

With the introduction of the Destinations Club a year ago, all unsold inventory was made part of the trust. So it appears that the Lahaina/Napili towers were far from being sold out. I remain convinced that this is the reason for the reported difficulties in making reservations. And yes, Marriott may indeed be claiming the best weeks for their own use (as they do at Newport Coast) - thus magnifying the problem.

In such an environment, owners of traditional weeks will do best at resorts where the trust holds relatively little inventory.

Because the trust also owns significant inventory at Ko Olina, it makes me hesitate in my desire to purchase a resale week there.

taffy19

Reaction score
It should be possible for someone who can translate the unit numbers to rooms to determine what and how many views are in the Trust.
I looked for fixed week/oceanfront condos only in both towers because I recognize the numbers. There are 2 Napili tower 2 BR villas and 10 3 BR Lahaina Villas and 35 2 BR Lahaina Villas in the trust since May 16.

Here are the numbered oceanfront villas for the Lahaina and Napili towers.

Last edited:

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those White Lies

I remember so well how our salesperson told us when we bought in the new Lahaina tower that we would have no problem reserving the week we wanted during the summer months. She even had the manager come out and assure us that there were plenty of weeks available; they even rattled off summer dates that they claimed were available right then. As soon as we got home and tried to reserve a July date we learned that this wasn't true. The summer weeks were all booked. And I'm talking four years ago!!!

As I've said before, we threatened to sue and ended up compromising and getting a fixed week unit, so we don't have to worry about getting a desirable week (but we had to settle for a week in January).

If we hadn't switched to a fixed week, and we saw Marriott taking the best weeks and putting them in an out-of-reach trust, I can't tell you how mad I would be. Fraud is the word that comes to mind.