• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"New Posts" and "Today's Posts" not working

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me figure this out? Beginning a couple weeks ago, when I am on my iPad, when I click "New Posts" it shows me diddly squat. As a workaround I have been able to click "Today's Posts" from the Quick Links menu. However tonight it is now doing the same thing and showing me jack squat.

I have logged out and logged back on several times, cleared my history, and checked my TUG options. I cant figure out. Any ideas?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Michael, I just went into my iPad's safari settings and my cookies were already enabled. However I chose to clear all my cookies, and now the New Posts are working again after I logged back into TUG. Weird, don't know why that fixed it, but I will take it. Thanks much señor. Never would have thought of it.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me since I started using my iPad (reported it a couple of years ago). It doesn't happen on other boards that use a newer version of the software (if you google the issue, it was a known problem at one point). It seems to work better if you always close the session when done, or move to a different website. In other words, it seems to only happen when I try to reactivate a timed-out session. HTH.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me since I started using my iPad (reported it a couple of years ago). It doesn't happen on other boards that use a newer version of the software (if you google the issue, it was a known problem at one point). It seems to work better if you always close the session when done, or move to a different website. In other words, it seems to only happen when I try to reactivate a timed-out session. HTH.

Dammit, it's doing it again. I went to some different websites and then came back but still no go. What the hell. They really need to upgrade the software or whatever it takes. Frustrating.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Dammit, it's doing it again. I went to some different websites and then came back but still no go. What the hell. They really need to upgrade the software or whatever it takes. Frustrating.

Yeah. When will Apple fix this? :p

Seriously, they bring out some equipment that doesn't work the same as most everything else, including their own desktops and laptops, and it's OUR responsibility to adapt to it?

We do need to update to a more recent version of vBulletin, but that's nowhere near to being the driving force.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Bookmark this link: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew

Any time you click on that link you will get a fresh search.

If you use that link to access the BBS (which I do) you will get a screen that shows all new posts since you last logged in (assuming you have granted permission to TUG to store session cookies and retain your log-in information). If you select that link another time while you are at the site, you will get the same list repeated, plus any new posts since you last searched.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Doesn't work on iOS 5, Steve. Thanks Apple. And since this snag was brought up, the fanboys & girls blame those who foolishly 'upgraded'.

Jim

And the Apple fanboys and fangirls get irritated because the non-Apple uses of the world aren't reflexively prostrating themselves in front of the latest Apple products, chanting "We are not worthy. We are not worthy."

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Doesn't work on iOS 5, Steve. Thanks Apple. And since this snag was brought up, the fanboys & girls blame those who foolishly 'upgraded'.

Jim

Are you saying that IOS 5 can't transmit a simple 40-character URL to an Apache server?

When the TUGBBS gets the string it simply serves up the same page you would get as if you clicked on "New Posts" after logging in.

If clicking "New Posts" serves up a list of "New Posts" then the problem is that your OS isn't transmitting the URL. If that's the case it would seem that Apple should join the rest of the world instead of expecting the rest of the rest of the world to adapt to it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that IOS 5 can't transmit a simple 40-character URL to an Apache server?

I'm not saying anything and have no idea what iOS 5 can't do. When I click the 'new posts' button, I get a box that says 'There are no new posts since your last visit' or words to that effect.

I haven't found a workaround, and apparently Apple hasn't either. It worked fine until the iOS 5 upgrade, and the latest 'bug fix' didn't.

It is a minor agrevation to click to renew the whole page, then scroll past the stickies to see what's new. Probably keeps me from replying to threads I only have passing interest in- like some of the various mini systems and areas where I have no knowledge. Probably to everyone's benefit.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
pretty sure the new posts link is tied to your login cookie...id bet that is the source of your issue more than anything.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then. I cleared the cookies, so that I will have to repopulate them and Lo and Behold- New Posts is working.

It will be a PITA for a while, but I guess you guys are worth it.

Thanks for prodding me into doing it. I guess.

Jim

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying anything and have no idea what iOS 5 can't do. When I click the 'new posts' button, I get a box that says 'There are no new posts since your last visit' or words to that effect.

I haven't found a workaround, and apparently Apple hasn't either. It worked fine until the iOS 5 upgrade, and the latest 'bug fix' didn't.

It is a minor agrevation to click to renew the whole page, then scroll past the stickies to see what's new. Probably keeps me from replying to threads I only have passing interest in- like some of the various mini systems and areas where I have no knowledge. Probably to everyone's benefit.

Jim
That's the message that comes up when you request new posts but the system doesn't have you logged in or there isn't a cookie stored indicating your last visit. As Brian indicated that's a cookies issue.

Also be sure that in the process of moving to the new OS, that your TUG setting to remember you between site visits didn't get changed.

abbekit

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
I have been having the same problem. I'm not sure why this thread turned into a flame Apple and rip the people who use Mac products. Many of us are now accessing these forums on our iPads, especially while on vacation using our timeshares.

I don't know anything about computers but I do know that TUG is the only forum website where I have this problem. It works fine OY and on the Flyertalk forum site.

The only way I can get it to work on TUG is to close the page, close the Safari app and shut off the iPad each time I want to access the "new posts" feature.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
iPad vrs. Mac Air

Well, I have no problem logging on to "today's posts" when using my Mac Air but I can't access "today's posts" at all on my IPad. There is no rhyme or reason. I've tried all the tricks and loopholes but nothing works. How is it possible that this is an Apple problem if it doesn't happen on my Mac? Has anyone figured out a way for us TUGGERS and Mac users to get around this?

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
Well, I have no problem logging on to "today's posts" when using my Mac Air but I can't access "today's posts" at all on my IPad. There is no rhyme or reason. I've tried all the tricks and loopholes but nothing works. How is it possible that this is an Apple problem if it doesn't happen on my Mac? Has anyone figured out a way for us TUGGERS and Mac users to get around this?
Yeh, I have the same problem with my iPad 2. Some times it works with new posts some times it dosent.....:shrug:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have found that by modifying my Safari settings to navigate in "private mode", i am able to have "New Posts" and"Today's Posts" operate much more reliably, although eventually "New Posts" craps out much quicker than "Today's Posts". After awhile, I just sign out and sign back in to start the cycle all over again. I would bet there is a way to fix this, but i would also make sure the bet doesn't require me to hold my breath.

Edit: actually, I close out of safari from the list of running programs altogether, then open a fresh safari session and sign in, then that fixes the problem temporarily until it craps out again.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Happens to me too (Ipad 2)

I've learned to live with it. I've tried many different scenarios thinking I will stumble on the answer. Just when it gets working again and I think I solved it, it reverts back to finding nothing when I click "new posts".

Maybe I'll try clicking my heals together three times... "there's no place like TUG, there's no place like TUG..."

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this is hopefully one of the issues we can attribute to running our outdated version of VB.

its certainly on my fingers crossed list for items that go away after we upgrade.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Upgrade

this is hopefully one of the issues we can attribute to running our outdated version of VB.

its certainly on my fingers crossed list for items that go away after we upgrade.

I believe this may be an upgrade problem. When do you anticipate upgrading?