• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental pickup times?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
How specific are these pickup times? Can I pickup a car earlier than the requested time, and as long as the return time is within the requested period, (i.e. 48 hours), will they allow that?

I have an upcoming week-long car rental that returns at 4PM. I wanted to extend the rental two more days, but the rates to do that were astronomical. Renting a second car for the two days was a better financial deal for me. I scheduled the pickup time of the second car as the same as the return time on the first car. I figured I'd turn one in, go back to the counter, and collect the second car.

But my schedule may work better to return the first car a few hours early. I'm wondering if I can pickup the second car then, and just return it a few hours early, so as to stay within the 48 hour rental period.

Has you ever done this? Any comments?

Dave

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have the same issue, and I will be interested to hear what others say about this....

How specific are these pickup times? Can I pickup a car earlier than the requested time, and as long as the return time is within the requested period, (i.e. 48 hours), will they allow that?

I have an upcoming week-long car rental that returns at 4PM. I wanted to extend the rental two more days, but the rates to do that were astronomical. Renting a second car for the two days was a better financial deal for me. I scheduled the pickup time of the second car as the same as the return time on the first car. I figured I'd turn one in, go back to the counter, and collect the second car.

But my schedule may work better to return the first car a few hours early. I'm wondering if I can pickup the second car then, and just return it a few hours early, so as to stay within the 48 hour rental period.

Has you ever done this? Any comments?

Dave

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It kind of depends what their computer says. I think generally within a half an hour doesn't trigger a recalculation although some companies may be 15 minutes. More than that does and the difference can be quite a lot. I also don't think they can tell you ahead of time, it is done in real time. If you potentially are willing to sit out the 4 hours if need be and don't have anything else to do- for example you are taking someone to the airport, then it doesn't hurt to try. If you call up now and ask, they will probably quote you the same prices you are seeing online.

I have arrived about an hour earlier before and choose to sit and wait because the price difference would have been about $50 more for those 45 minutes.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My rental is with Budget, and I just called them. The agent I spoke to had to check with her supervisor. The supervisor said if was within three or four hours, it would be fine. That will work for me. (Keep in mind I called after-hours on a weekend, so the agent I spoke with and her supervisor are likely not living in this country. So take the advice with a grain of salt.)

Still curious whether anyone has actually done this?

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Actually, I just solved my own issue. I made a new reservation for the second vehicle, and scheduled pickup for the hour I expect to be there. I can turn in the first car early, then turn around and pickup the second car on time. No issues, and rates were very close to the original reservation rate. So no loss to me. Thumbs up on this one.

Dave

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also when you pick up the rental look what it says on the contract for additional days. Sometimes I have added a day and am just charged 1/7 of the weekly rental cost. I have asked when I picked up the rental and other time shave called before I returned the car.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You definitely have to check. We've had situations where we needed to pick up a car early or late, or drop it off early or late, and every rental agency and every location seems to have different policies.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Definitely call, especially at smaller offices, or if you requested a certain kind of car.

Recently I reserved a car at Europcar in Clifton UK. I didn't know it, but this is a very small in-city office. I didn't pay attention to the pickup time (it defaulted to the time I made the booking, 2pm). When I arrived at 10am, they didn't have any cars. They said they were expecting 6 returns before 2, and had 5 waiting to go out, including mine. And at 2, I got the last car.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Usually, if your car is available and ready, you can pick it up early and would have your 48 hours from the pick-up time to return it, with no added charge. But I agree that it pays to call, because in certain circumstances I am sure it could be different.