• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Savannah help for our reunion

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are narrowing down our choices of cities for a Cousins Reunion in September. With so many of us, we will stay at a hotel rather than exchange.

Here are some wants:
• We can walk out of the hotel to find shops and restaurants right there.
• Hotel can't be too expensive, as some have budget constraints.
• Interesting places to explore nearby.

If you know Savannah, please tell me about your favorite, well located hotel, best area to stay and fun things to do or great restaurants to check out. Any information is appreciated! Thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Question: Will Savannah still be hot and humid in Sept.?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The old historic district is not that big so any hotel listed as within it will be fine. There are a number of them, while not budget budget, are relatively inexpensive. (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.) Check on line and decide which has the best combination of price and attractiveness.

There are so many things to see walking around the historic district that it is hard to know where to start. Any hotel will have a good listing.

Lots of places to eat, particularly near the river. I'll just mention one of them and this is on the pricey side - more for a special night out: The Olde Pink House. Reservations absolutely required. In fact, if you are looking at a weekend night, you should make your reservation well in advance.

If you haven't already done so, read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Absolutely classic read and gives you some of the flavor of Savannah. (The Mercer House is one of the things that you can at least walk by.) The movie is not as good, but, if you have read the book worth seeing in that Lady Chablis plays herself.

Not as totally engrossing, but Savannah Grey (historic fiction) is another book of interest. Written by a Savannah historian and tour guide, historians praise it for its accurate portrayal of Savannah life leading up to and past the Civil War.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Roger. Good info!

The old historic district is not that big so any hotel listed as within it will be fine. There are a number of them, while not budget budget, are relatively inexpensive. (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.) Check on line and decide which has the best combination of price and attractiveness.

There are so many things to see walking around the historic district that it is hard to know where to start. Any hotel will have a good listing.

Lots of places to eat, particularly near the river. I'll just mention one of them and this is on the pricey side - more for a special night out: The Olde Pink House. Reservations absolutely required. In fact, if you are looking at a weekend night, you should make your reservation well in advance.

If you haven't already done so, read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Absolutely classic read and gives you some of the flavor of Savannah. (The Mercer House is one of the things that you can at least walk by.) The movie is not as good, but, if you have read the book worth seeing in that Lady Chablis plays herself.

Not as totally engrossing, but Savannah Grey (historic fiction) is another book of interest. Written by a Savannah historian and tour guide, historians praise it for its accurate portrayal of Savannah life leading up to and past the Civil War.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, it will. Starts to cool down in Oct.

That would be a deal killer for me - no fun to be out on foot in heat and humidity.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. Maybe San Antonio or New Orleans will be better for us.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for this info. Maybe San Antonio or New Orleans will be better for us.

I think many of the southern locations will still be hot and humid in Sept. - would check weather in each location.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is one web page that shows up if you Google

Savannah temperatures in September

Substitute other cities that you are considering for Savannah in the above and you can check out all of the sites you are considering.

Also you might be interested in this site from US News and World Report commenting on visiting Savannah at different times during the year. I suspect that they have similar commentary for other cities.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Depending upon the size of your group, you could consider renting a house. I'm going to Savannah with a group of 7-8 friends, and we have a house in the historic district for 3 nights. With that many, a house is inexpensive, especially since we pick up groceries and eat breakfast and sometimes a light supper in. We love having a house for our group, because we can gather together to laugh and talk without worrying about bothering anyone else.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi stmartinfan. You helped me in another thread with our Divi Little Bay stay. Nice to "see" you again!

We will be a big group of 20-25. With so many family members of diverse age, we have found that people enjoy the privacy of a hotel room so they can join in when they want and take a break when they want. With a smaller group, we would look into a home for sure. Could you PM me the name of your house? I have been advised that it is hot and humid in September, so we may choose another location for the reunion, but I want to visit Savannah. Might do it like you are!

Thanks for the input! Still looking forward to our St Martin catamaran trip and stay at Divi!

Depending upon the size of your group, you could consider renting a house. I'm going to Savannah with a group of 7-8 friends, and we have a house in the historic district for 3 nights. With that many, a house is inexpensive, especially since we pick up groceries and eat breakfast and sometimes a light supper in. We love having a house for our group, because we can gather together to laugh and talk without worrying about bothering anyone else.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the weather replies!!! Appreciated. We live in dry and temperate Denver, so I don't really know hot and humid. Thanks.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Are you looking for a city experience or just somewhere that you all can get together? Maybe we can give you some suggestions.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pat: We just want a place where we can wander from the hotel easily with a quaint or interesting area. Old Market area of Omaha was perfect. Small, brick lined streets. lots of shops and fun restaurants and bars in with historical warehouses all around. I have compiled a list from all of the replies to a previous thread. Of them Savannah, San Antonio and New Orleans appealed the most. I think part is that there is a condensed area with lots to do right there without driving. We like to amble. Someone mentioned Eureka Springs, which looks nice, but it is expensive to get there.

PStreet: I do have KC on the list. From what I know, which is not much, the CC Plaza area of KC is mostly higher end shopping. We like to browse, but more in funky, artsy shops - not Michael Kors or other brand names. Do I have the wrong impression?

We may just have to change our time of year to May, when we usually go. We were trying to work with a retiring person's new schedule.

Thanks all. Appreciate the brainstorming!

As I said earlier, Kansas City has nice September weather; so does Springfield, Illinois. Springfield has all the Lincoln stuff to do.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
In early September, I'd avoid the Southeast. It is still very humid and hot. 2 years ago, my husband and I went to Hilton Head the last week of September. It was so humid, we couldn't play tennis most of the week. And part of the reason we chose HHI was to play tennis. :crash:

Have you considered any of the more northern cities with tons of history, such as Williamsburg, VA, Washington DC, Boston, MA, or Philadelphia, PA? We loved them, and they're great for history buffs. All are on or near the ocean, too, so you can take day trips. I just got from 5 nights in Williamsburg and there was a lot to keep us busy. We hit Colonial Williamsburg, Historical Jamestowne, Jamestown Settlement, and Busch Gardens. Had we stayed longer, we would have toured some nearby plantations. Note that you have to be fit enough to walk a few miles a day.

DC is outstanding if you like museums and history, too. All the Smithsonians are free, as are most of the memorials, though I have to admit that I love the Trolley Tours, just for the ease of getting from place to place.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks LisaRex. We don't want day trips or museums (maybe one). We want a strolling city for 20-25 people so we can pop in and out of our hotel. We like ambling, talking, coffee, drinks on patios, funky and artsy. I am getting great ideas for trips for my husband and me to take alone or with a smaller group, though. Thank you!

In early September, I'd avoid the Southeast. It is still very humid and hot. 2 years ago, my husband and I went to Hilton Head the last week of September. It was so humid, we couldn't play tennis most of the week. And part of the reason we chose HHI was to play tennis. :crash:

Have you considered any of the more northern cities with tons of history, such as Williamsburg, VA, Washington DC, Boston, MA, or Philadelphia, PA? We loved them, and they're great for history buffs. All are on or near the ocean, too, so you can take day trips. I just got from 5 nights in Williamsburg and there was a lot to keep us busy. We hit Colonial Williamsburg, Historical Jamestowne, Jamestown Settlement, and Busch Gardens. Had we stayed longer, we would have toured some nearby plantations. Note that you have to be fit enough to walk a few miles a day.

DC is outstanding if you like museums and history, too. All the Smithsonians are free, as are most of the memorials, though I have to admit that I love the Trolley Tours, just for the ease of getting from place to place.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Thanks LisaRex. We don't want day trips or museums (maybe one). We want a strolling city for 20-25 people so we can pop in and out of our hotel. We like ambling, talking, coffee, drinks on patios, funky and artsy. I am getting great ideas for trips for my husband and me to take alone or with a smaller group, though. Thank you!

How about Asheville, NC?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Funky? Mild weather? For an offbeat suggestion .... Duluth, Minnesota, the Canal District.

Watch the iconic lift bridge as the ore ships pass by. Tour an oar boat. Nearby railroad museum, aquarium, marine museum, about two miles of lake shore park that you can walk along. Named by one of the outdoor magazines as a top ten city for outdoor enthusiasts.

Would require a car, but toward the edge of the city is Hawk Ridge where anywhere between 1000 and 10,000 hawks will fly overhead during September. Fall colors will have started.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. My husband loves hawks. Thanks

Also, I will look into Asheville. I love these suggestions of places I would never think of.

Funky? Mild weather? For an offbeat suggestion .... Duluth, Minnesota, the Canal District.

Watch the iconic lift bridge as the ore ships pass by. Tour an oar boat. Nearby railroad museum, aquarium, marine museum, about two miles of lake shore park that you can walk along. Named by one of the outdoor magazines as a top ten city for outdoor enthusiasts.

Would require a car, but toward the edge of the city is Hawk Ridge where anywhere between 1000 and 10,000 hawks will fly overhead during September. Fall colors will have started.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Boston is a great place for walking as is New York. Lots to do in both places and Sept is usually great weather.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about downtown San Diego,CA? Great temps, beaches, parks and some outstanding places to visits.