• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone rented cars through RCI.com? They seem cheaper than Costco.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but a brief search for rental cars on the RCI website, and I found better deals than Costco Travel is offering for our next three or four trips.

I would have to pay now, and I was trying hard to find a cancellation policy for a full refund, should I need to cancel at some point. I couldn't find anything. I may be looking in the wrong place. I hesitate to pay, in case Costco comes through in the end.

I found a minivan for a week in August for SNA, and it was substantially less, about half the price. I am considering.

What do you know about RCI car rentals? They say including taxes and fees.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Are they free mileage? Free second driver? Any restriction on geographical area of use? If it includes those and taxes/fees for a lower price than Costco, then it may be worthwhile. A deal is a deal, but I'd be very careful about the fine print. As they say, YMMV. :)

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We never use the second driver option but we always know we have it, in case.

I have no idea what the terms of the rental are. I think I would have to go further in the rental process, but I backed out of it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Honestly, Cindy, this is RCI. There MUST be a catch of some sort. Don't you think? ;) :doh:

Dave

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Act Quickly

If RCI is cheaper, then it is a misprint or they just haven't figured out how to rip you off yet.:D:D

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If it doesn't allow full cancellation and you have to pay up front, it isn't really comparable to Costco in any way. It would have to be a considerable savings to even consider it.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had never tried RCI for travel before.
I just tried it for Honolulu Airport, May 28 - June 4.
You do have to use your credit card to pay in advance, but I got a quote at
Enterprise / Intermediate
$213 vs $428
for same company/car size at Costco.

Costco's lowest was for this time frame was
Alamo / Intermediate at
$382

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had never tried RCI for travel before.
I just tried it for Honolulu Airport, May 28 - June 4.
You do have to use your credit card to pay in advance, but I got a quote at
Enterprise / Intermediate
$213 vs $428
for same company/car size at Costco.

Costco's lowest was for this time frame was
Alamo / Intermediate at
$382

So what is the deal with that! I am wondering if the price is not complete or something. My price was also a savings of over $200 for a week. $200 is a lot of moolah.

I checked our Maui trip in March, and the savings were even more. Don't know what to think about this.

There was a post a few days ago where someone went on a sales presentation and saw low car rental prices through RCI, and I scoffed at the claim, thinking it was a salesman's lie.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You need to enter credit card info before confirmation is made...

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the fine print, if only it were understandable...

CANCELLATION/CHANGES

The fees assessed by RCI Travel, OVS, and/or travel provider as a result of a cancellation or change are set forth on the Booking
Confirmation and apply to all transactions purchased through RCI Travel. Each travel provider has specific cancellation policies and penalties. Travel provider policies may treat name changes and departure date changes as cancellations.

In the event You must cancel Your booking, please contact an RCI Travel customer service representative immediately, either
by phone at 1-800-654-5000, or in writing, at the following address: Our Vacation Center, 15501 N. Dial Boulevard, Scottsdale, Arizona, 85260, or at the following fax number: 602-626-2654. Cancellations will be effective as of the date of receipt of the request. It is the RCI Member's responsibility to ensure cancellation requests are properly transmitted. Refunds may take up tosix (6) to eight (8) weeks from the cancellation date.
http://travel.rcitravel.com/includes/other/tandc.pdf

But I think I see the real problem. I started a car rental for a week to/from Miami airport. The amount "to be charged to credit card" for a standard size car is about $100 cheaper than on the rental company's own website (dollar.com), but "taxes and fees" is shown as 0.00.

I'll bet when you pick up the car they'll ask you to pay taxes and fees at the desk.

[FONT=&quot]Pricing Breakdown[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Average rate per day $24.84 USD [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Duration 7 day(s) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Taxes and fees $0.00 USD [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]$173.90 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]To be charged to credit card [/FONT]

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see the total $213, the blue bar above the quote says it's the total price;
but I was also worried/skeptical when I saw the taxes and fees link show 0.00.

Either it's not able to break out the taxes and fees (not programmed correctly), or they're not included.

I will call in the travel company in the morning to learn what's up.

Attachments

• RCI car rental quote screen.pdf
    206.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Yes, I have rented through the RCI portal for Hawaii. RCI reservation was with Alamo and included the free extra driver. I thought I was getting a mid-sized car and ended up with a Dodge Charger.

On our last trip to Hawaii I canceled the RCI reservation by calling them up. Its not really RCI who has the reservation and you do need to input your card to get the reservation. I ended up using Costco about three weeks out.

Bill

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
800-654-5000
x 3 car rental

Agent confirmed the price DOES include the taxes/fees, even though they are not broken out on the invoice.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy:
I tried to send you a thank you via pm, but your inbox is full.

I appreciate your having posted, and will report back whether it all works out.

Thank you.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just deleted some messages.

When is your rental. We need SNA 8/6 for a week. We also need Maui for 2 weeks in August. The prices are so much less.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Are the prices less now or less than what you usually pay. Through Costco I've been averaging $150 a week for a full size on Kauai pretty much any time of year I go. I don't go in the summer.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
When renting in Hawaii, it pays to check out autoslash.com

When renting vehicle in Hawaii, it pays to check out autoslash.com. They found values for us with major agencies that were cheaper than what Costco offered.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When renting vehicle in Hawaii, it pays to check out autoslash.com. They found values for us with major agencies that were cheaper than what Costco offered.

I agree to check everywhere. Personally we've never found anyone to beat Costco.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree to check everywhere. Personally we've never found anyone to beat Costco.

We have used Costco almost exclusively in the past; however, to get a good deal, you really need to look constantly to get the car when the prices drop.

I don't mind looking all of the time, it's worth it for a bargain car rental, but I rarely see minivans for a good deal, and we need two of those for our family of 11 in Anaheim.

We are flying into SNA, unless I can get a better deal on Southwest to LAX before our trip. The price is literally $200 per car lower on RCI.com.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented a minivan in September, an Elantra in February, and a minivan in April/May. I also have a 11 day car rental booked in September, all Orlando.

The one week minivan was around $270 at Alamo. The Elantra for one week was $125 at Costco. The 2 week minivan was $226 through Alamo and my upcoming 11 day is $178 at Alamo.

Even when I check for a better rate for September, Costco is running much higher.

Julie2me

Reaction score
I am new and I found your post as I was wondering the same thing. I searched on RCI for 2 week car rental on Oahu in July and it is half the price of all other quotes from Costco, SAMs, etc! Is there a catch? I have never rented a car before so I don't know what to think. Will they add on fees when I pick up the vehicle? It does say $0 under taxes/fees so I am assuming they will add that when I pick up the vehicle. Any advise is appreciated.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, two of us have called, and it does include taxes and all fees.

I talked to RCI yesterday because I had trouble booking online and wanted to know why. My first question was exactly: are there additional fees when I pick up the car. The answer: not unless you choose their optional services. The prices include taxes/fees.

I think you have to use a Visa or Mastercard to book and not Amex.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Costco, OK. But look at others, too.

Autoslash beat Costco for us on our first 3 tries. Then Hertz beat both of them on 2 out of 3 Hawaii rentals once we were within a month of our trip...and Hertz gave us free upgrades (booking through the USAA link).

So, yes...check Costco. But don't be a slave to it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Autoslash beat Costco for us on our first 3 tries. Then Hertz beat both of them on 2 out of 3 Hawaii rentals once we were within a month of our trip...and Hertz gave us free upgrades (booking through the USAA link).

So, yes...check Costco. But don't be a slave to it.

I don't think I ever said to be a slave to Costco. I just said that as long as I've gotten the lowest price possible through Costco, by continuing to check back, I haven't found anyone else to beat that price.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Thanks to another Tugger (and I'm afraid I don't remember who to thank), I often book via the Chase Ultimate Rewards platform. Usually their rates are very competitive, especially if you can use points or a combination of points and cash.