• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] Hilton Waikoloa Beach - is there a sandy beach?

chickensoop

Reaction score
I don't want a 2 bedroom, so I was thinking of staying at either the Kings Land or the Bay Club for a 1 bedroom.

If I stayed at the Bay Club - is there a nice sandy beach at the Waikola with beach chairs, walkable from the Bay Club? Where is the closest nice sandy beach?

If there is no sandy beach at the Waikola, then I'll stay at Kings Land for their superpool, and drive to a nice beach on my beach days.

I'll be there for 2 weeks, so I would like to split up the days between the beach/snorkeling, hiking/exploring the island, and some recovery days vegin' by the pool.

On Google Maps, the beach looks rocky/rough. I don't see beach chairs there.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Best real beach is Hapuna Beach -- about a 10 minute drive north. There is a lagoon at the Hilton Hotel that has a sandy area to it, but it is definitely not a sandy Hawaiian beach like you are thinking about.

Make sense? Thanks!

Greg

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best real beach is Hapuna Beach -- about a 10 minute drive north. There is a lagoon at the Hilton Hotel that has a sandy area to it, but it is definitely not a sandy Hawaiian beach like you are thinking about.

Make sense? Thanks!

Greg

+1 for Hapuna or Mauna Kea, but parking is limited there.

At Waikoloa there is Anaehoʻomalu or A Bay. But Hapuna in my view is much much MUCH better! :D

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an actual beach called Waikoloa Beach near the resort. It has one strip of sand with the ocean and some rockier areas. It's a public beach, but looks as though it connects to the Marriott's beach area, which has rental equipment and stuff.

We had a rental car, so we drove to it from King's Land. :p It has a parking lot. You can also take the shuttle and get out at Queen's Marketplace and walk from there. I think it's less than a mile from the stop to the sand strip.

It's very small. We stayed for a short while and it was too windy to enjoy it. Later, we drove to Hapuna which is a much larger/nicer beach, although it was exceptionally windy there, too.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There is an actual beach called Waikoloa Beach near the resort. It has one strip of sand with the ocean and some rockier areas. It's a public beach, but looks as though it connects to the Marriott's beach area, which has rental equipment and stuff.

Are you talking about A Bay (Anaeho'omalu Bay)?

DaveC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The beach is not walkable from Bay Club. Don't bother with that little beach. Like everybody said, Hapuna Beach is the one you want. And, it can get windy there. One day I went there on a sunny day and nobody was there. It was way too windy. If you see nobody there, don't bother. There is no sheltered part I could find. I stayed at both Kingsland and bay club. I liked Kingsland a lot better. Bay club has bigger rooms and bigger balconies but Kingsland is better in every other way (except points). There is a guide book for the island. It is really good and tells you where everything is.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Love Hapuna Beach also. Don't know if this will make any difference, but I understand they are now charging for parking there.

Vatt1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Hapuna beach is too windy, you can go to Beach 69 (for mile marker 69), which is just 5 min from there. It has a cove, so it is less windy. It's amazing there. Beautiful snorkling right there. have fun.

chickensoop

Reaction score
Thanks for the beach recommendations. Kings Land it is. A beach is not a beach unless you have lots of sand and big waves that knock you over, or calm if you want snorkelling and be at peace with the fish and turtles.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family stayed at Kings' Land/Bay Club over Thanksgiving, and A Bay worked great for us. It's a short and easy drive, the beach is nice, the snorkeling is decent (turtles, eels, lots of fish...), beach activity rental shack is onsite, palm trees shade one end of the beach, and Lava Lava is only steps away for food and drinks. There are definitely nicer beaches on the island, but we were hauling babies and lots of beach gear, so didn't want to do any more driving than necessary.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

workshy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you've selected Kings Land, you can borrow beach chairs, boogie boards, toys, etc from the Bell guys. No need to bring your own beach things!

Wexflyer

Reaction score
Indeed they are charging for Hapuna beach, whereas A-beach was still free as of July. So, it was A-beach for us! Strange that there is a fee for the state beach, whereas some of the "private" (hotel) beaches are free, if you can get a slot!

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love Hapuna Beach also. Don't know if this will make any difference, but I understand they are now charging for parking there.

Yeas. Parking is now $5. Keep your receipt. If you visit another state(?) beach on the same you only have to pay once.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Hilton Waikoloa Beach - is there a sandy beach?

When we stayed at the Bay Club last year, I rented a bicycle for the week. A-Bay is a real easy bike ride from any of the HGVC Waikoloa TS's. I did it daily.

Sent from my iPad Retina using Tapatalk

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
When we stayed at the Bay Club last year, I rented a bicycle for the week. A-Bay is a real easy bike ride from any of the HGVC Waikoloa TS's. I did it daily.

How much is a bike rental? Where did you get it from?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Indeed they are charging for Hapuna beach, whereas A-beach was still free as of July. So, it was A-beach for us! Strange that there is a fee for the state beach, whereas some of the "private" (hotel) beaches are free, if you can get a slot!

Well, all beaches are public, however my guess is those that are on hotel property have the amenities (bathrooms, lifeguards maybe) paid by the hotel. The state beaches do not. From what I've heard the fees go towards the maintenance of the facilities at these state properties.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
How much is a bike rental? Where did you get it from?
This is who I rented from:

http://www.bikeworkshawaii.com/

It was back in May of 2012. I don't remember which bike I rented or their prices but based on their current rates, I'd say it was the Specialized Sirrus 24-speed or something comparable at about $140/week.

I took several trips up Queen Ka'ahumaku Hwy to Makaiwa Bay and Pauoa Bay, but didn't make it to Hapuna Bay. Maybe next time. :whoopie:

I had my Garmin Edge 800 bicycle computer with me, which was great.

I did this after having surgery on my left foot 3 months earlier. When I wasn't pedaling or walking on a beach in the surf, I had to have 2 crutches to walk, so this was something real special for me and great for rehab/exercise.

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Thanks for the info, Ron. At these prices, I'll stick to walking around the resort area. Besides, 3 speeds on a bike are 2 more than I ever use. :)

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
Thought I would resurrect an older post instead of creating a new one since my question is related.... We will be checking into The Bay Club next week and I have noted all of the suggestions on sandy beaches. One of the posts in this thread mentions that you can borrow beach chairs, boards from the Kings Land Bell guys. Does anyone know if The Bay Club would have the same type of set up? I prefer sitting on beach chairs at the beach. Is there an Owners closet or room where stuff is left that people can then pick up and use at the Bay Club? This is my first time going to one of my home resorts.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'm not sure if they have loaner beach gear, wouldnt hurt to ask. We have rented chairs from Snorkel Bobs, along with our snorkel gear.

Here's a tip, there is a sandy beach at the hotel lagoon right across from Bay Club, its a good spot for beginner snorkelers and there are lounges. Pack your own beach towels, dont take the Bay Club towels, and you can be in cognito. Bay club building 1 is at the lower right corner, just cross the road and go in the entrance at the hotel maintenance yard.

e694dfd51689783a0eb91b0f545f2549.jpg

fd8a8e4283191dde68f2775a5e65adca.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
Thanks you so much for the tips on accessing the lagoon! We have snorkel gear reservations already at Snorkle Bobs and will inquire about adding chairs as well. Since it will be a holiday week (Easter) I wonder if they will be handing out wrist bands to control access (if Hilton even does this?).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks you so much for the tips on accessing the lagoon! We have snorkel gear reservations already at Snorkle Bobs and will inquire about adding chairs as well. Since it will be a holiday week (Easter) I wonder if they will be handing out wrist bands to control access (if Hilton even does this?).

They dont check wrist bands for the lagoon, only the main pool with the slides and towel desk.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk