• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How will we know?

hopetotimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to do a "mock" exchange to see what a prospective timeshare would trade with? We are considering an Orlando Gold Crown/5 Star resort during RED week and I want to know what our exchange options would be. I can't get seem to get a straight answer on this and there must be a way to find out BEFORE we purchase. Or...perhaps there is not.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One imperfect way is to join TUG and ask on the Sightings forum (access available only to TUG members) for someone to do a trade test for you.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If this is your first foray into timeshare I would suggest you are going into it for the wrong reasons. Initial timeshare purchase should ideally be somewhere you are happy to occupy each year rather than to use as a tool to get accommodation elsewhere. Exchanging is certainly a major benefit of owning timeshare, but really shouldn't be the driving force behind the initial purchase. In my opinion at least.
To find out the trading power you could be very cheeky and contact RCI or II. Tell them you are considering purchasing ..... but want to know if it will be worth joining RCI / II for exchange purposes. Ask them what resorts you might be able to exchange into.

hopetotimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keitht said:
If this is your first foray into timeshare I would suggest you are going into it for the wrong reasons. Initial timeshare purchase should ideally be somewhere you are happy to occupy each year rather than to use as a tool to get accommodation elsewhere. Exchanging is certainly a major benefit of owning timeshare, but really shouldn't be the driving force behind the initial purchase. In my opinion at least.
To find out the trading power you could be very cheeky and contact RCI or II. Tell them you are considering purchasing ..... but want to know if it will be worth joining RCI / II for exchange purposes. Ask them what resorts you might be able to exchange into.
You are absolutely right, I agree 100%. Which is why we are choosing Orlando - see my other posts and you will learn ALL about my family - lol. BUT, we would like to know if in say, 10 years when the kids are teens and we want to make a change, we would like to know that we can. Please read my other posts - people were telling me that trading is VERY important and I disagree, as do you.

hopetotimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave M said:
One imperfect way is to join TUG and ask on the Sightings forum (access available only to TUG members) for someone to do a trade test for you.
I joined about a week ago. Great resource, just taking a while to get to see everything!

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
hopetotimeshare said:
BUT, we would like to know if in say, 10 years when the kids are teens and we want to make a change, we would like to know that we can.

It is likely a dangerous thing to assume what will be the case in 10 years based on how things are today. The industry is constantly changing. I'd almost be afraid to guess what will happen one year down the road.

Just do something that works for you now, without breaking the bank. When it stops working, do something else. I chalk up any losses when I sell to part of the annual vacation costs.

JMHO.

Sheila

hopetotimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, if I can get a sweet deal with the amount of money I have to invest, I will be happy. I just want to vacation with my family every year just as I did when I was a kid and buying a TS forces us to take time out of our VERY hectic lives to get away. Thanks for all of the good advice.

geekette

Reaction score
sfwilshire said:
It is likely a dangerous thing to assume what will be the case in 10 years based on how things are today. The industry is constantly changing. I'd almost be afraid to guess what will happen one year down the road.

Just do something that works for you now, without breaking the bank. When it stops working, do something else. I chalk up any losses when I sell to part of the annual vacation costs.

JMHO.

Sheila

DITTO.

Assuming exchange companies will still be around in 10 years, you'll be able to trade. It's anyone's guess as to what the exchange world will look like then.

Get what you want now, and when it's time to think about trading, ask the question again.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
My 2cents is buy based on your needs now, not at a future time. We did and once we experienced timesharing, our needs ("wants" would be more accurate!) changed :D ! Determine your needs and go for it and enjoy...don't overanalyze. JMHO, of course :p .

Ingrid

hopetotimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
IngridN said:
My 2cents is buy based on your needs now, not at a future time. We did and once we experienced timesharing, our needs ("wants" would be more accurate!) changed :D ! Determine your needs and go for it and enjoy...don't overanalyze. JMHO, of course :p .

Ingrid
I have SO overanalyzed. It's bad. But I am getting there. And yes, I realize that we should buy based on our current needs. Who knows what the future holds? Once again, thank you all!

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to figure out how to get your status changed from guest to member.

If I look back on what my life was like 9 years ago when I bought my first Orlando timeshare to now with 8 timeshares. WOW. Ive gone alot of places from Alaska to Cancun, from Hilton Head to California, from Calgary to Australia. (Didnt say Hawaii cuz thats this year)
In your previous posts you mention your children. Nothing like taking a kid to Kennedy Space Center or telling them all the spooky tails of the Hilton Head Lighthouse or Charleston for Civil War. How about a good ol' Calgary Stampede, these are the lessons they remember. I think Williamsburg and Washington DC would be perfect for our American History. Chichen Itza is a nice starting place for ancient history.
When I tell my grandaughters good night stories, I have to make them up (no books for them) or tell them true life stories. So I make my stories up from history and put them in the settings of the places I have taken them. So when we go on vacation together, I pay alot of attention. Just some words for thought.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It might also be helpful to know what 5 star or gold crown resort you're talking about, and what red week....they are not all created equal!
Connie

crazee

Reaction score
Shades of red

grest said:
It might also be helpful to know what 5 star or gold crown resort you're talking about, and what red week....they are not all created equal!
Connie

Yup, even though you may buy a "red" week, there are different shades of red! Some weeks still have better trading power than others. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
:rolleyes:

slabeaume

Reaction score
We own a week 5 gold crown resort in Orlando. It doesn't pull nearly as well as my Worldmark points, but I have gotten Hawaii twice (once on short notice) and used another week to exchange back into the resort we own in (Orange Lake). The week going back into Orange Lake is even for a larger unit then what we own.

jkweber

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Worldmark points have #1 trading POWER with RCI

We own Worldmark points, along with a lot of other timeshares, including the Manhattan Club. RCI has told us numerous times that Worldmark points have the absolute best trading power with RCI that can be obtained. Also, with Worldmark Points, you can request first, and deposit your points when the resort you want comes up. Worldmark is the only system in RCI that will allow you to request first and confirm later. That is why your Worldmark trades so well.

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to get off of the subject - but.....Fairfield FSP will also let you 'request first' with RCI, or II if your a member.

Worldmark is the only system in RCI that will allow you to request first and confirm later.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
for O you need a holiday week or prime summer

but, I can tell you, that with kids, xmas is very crowded and hectic (I will NEVER go again at xmas--way too crowded). Also, Easter/spring break varies---so your week might or might not fall on the time when your kids vacation from school--unless they do a fixed week every year (1st week in march, etc.).
Last 2 weeks March are always a good traders, b/c there will always be a school break then, even if it is not Easter week.
For summer, best week is 4th of July (wk 26), then other July weeks. By mid-Aug, many southern school have started back--so only buy a July week in summer.
Bottom line, xmas (wk 52, wk 51 only good trader when xmas falls within the week, which is only 50% of the time), last 2 weeks of March, or july weeks.

hopetotimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
elaine said:
but, I can tell you, that with kids, xmas is very crowded and hectic (I will NEVER go again at xmas--way too crowded). Also, Easter/spring break varies---so your week might or might not fall on the time when your kids vacation from school--unless they do a fixed week every year (1st week in march, etc.).
Last 2 weeks March are always a good traders, b/c there will always be a school break then, even if it is not Easter week.
For summer, best week is 4th of July (wk 26), then other July weeks. By mid-Aug, many southern school have started back--so only buy a July week in summer.
Bottom line, xmas (wk 52, wk 51 only good trader when xmas falls within the week, which is only 50% of the time), last 2 weeks of March, or july weeks.
Thanks for the info! We always vacation during the last 2 weeks of March. We usually pull the kids from school (this works for now as they are only in first grade). So I guess that means if I buy a floating week, I should make my reservations early as it is a high demand time.