• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The most nasty,or nice Mayan palace (or other) sales presentation ,and the gift

sally

Reaction score
My presentation was professional and infomative,John, the sales guy, was not pushy and really did not Know we were going to buy until the last minute.We were treated politely,and went home with about $200,worth of coupon vouchers.A total class presentation,start to finish.Well I have had my time on the old thread to rant a bit....Here is yours if you choose!!

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think the problem most people have is with that "last minute." In your last minute, you bought. If people are refusing to buy, that "last minute" stretches out hugely--sometimes to an hour. It doesn't get nasty until you absolutely refuse to buy and attempt to leave.

That isn't what you did, so you didn't have the ugly experience so many have had.

biafrate

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Dreaded "Last Minute"

I could not agree more, but I utilized the last minute attempt to woo me into buying to further negotiate price reduction to a point that I could live with. I have not regretted my purchase at all. I believe I negotiated a very FAIR deal and have enjoyed every visit to the MP

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
(or other) would be Mass-of-Nothin (Massanutten, VA) about 25 years ago. The prize was an offsite Holiday Inn Express type accomodation and a portable 5in B/W TV. Young couple with one small child at the time, can't remember how many echelons we had to listen to, and say NO to, just to get the voucher to get us checked out of the hotel for free. So didn't get to stay onsite, B/W TV was almost useless without mail away attachments that were very costly. This presentation turned me off of timeshares for nearly 20 years before I found TUG and bought my first resale. I paid way too much for it (about 1/2 of orig purchase price and about 1/3 of then current prices) and still didn't know that RED didn't mean RED. I did not stick around TUG for months before the purchase like I should have.

davilin88

Reaction score
We've had both experiences. The 1st year we stayed at MP, we attended the presentation and bought, and were treated very well. Next year, we were asked to attend an "owner's update". Turned out to be an attempt to get us to upgrade and when we said no, it turned very nasty. But, we did get a nice snorkle cruise out of it.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm told that timeshare salesmen call it "Buy or Cry."

quiltergal

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were at Club Regina Los Cabos in May last year we were "asked" to do the owner update. It turned out to be a tour of the new Grand Regina villas that were still under construction. We went and looked and the villas were very nice indeed. However, at $50K+ we simply told the saleswoman we couldn't afford it and were quite happy with our regular membership. Tour lasted about 45 min. and we were outta there. No hassles, no gift except for a free breakfast.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll let everyone in on a little secret of getting out of the tour early.

My wife travels with what looks like a typical large purse.. however, as soon as the saleman walks away to get the closer.. We convert that purse into a portable stove. We fry a little curry and the entire room gasps for air and mass vomitting occurs. :eek:

They look at us in amazement, they can't believe english speakers know how to cook with curry.

I got my $300 in record time

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
CaliDave said:

My wife travels with what looks like a typical large purse.. however, as soon as the saleman walks away to get the closer.. We convert that purse into a portable stove. We fry a little curry and the entire room gasps for air and mass vomitting occurs. :eek:

They look at us in amazement, they can't believe english speakers know how to cook with curry.

That might work at the Mayan, but at Sunset they're much more hardened. At Sunset you need to add some garlic to the stir fry. If that still doesn't work, you make garlands of the cloves, and hang a garland around the neck of everyone in your party. After you do that, the timeshare vampi .... er, sales people won't bother you a bit.

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
CaliDave said:

--------------
WOW - Thanks CaliDave, I haven't had such a great laugh since I read something similar - about curry, but this was sooooo much better.

doggiesdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that was interesting

CaliDave said:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

taffy19

Reaction score
rklein001 said:
I'm told that timeshare salesmen call it "Buy or Cry."
Some of the other timeshare developers call them "Mayan Palace, the lying palace". They don't like what is going on there because it makes the timeshare industry look bad in Mexico. There are ethical companies too and they get lumped together with the bad ones. The ethical companies would like nothing more than to see these "scams" disappear.

Have you ever heard a complaint here of Paradise Village? I haven't read any yet and there are other ethical developers too. I would love to listen to some more presentations but can't get my BH to ever go again. I know that I could handle a presentation and set them straight if they would tell a lie. :rolleyes:

sally

Reaction score
cdave..........

I have been told "you must laugh,at least a good 25 times daily".....for health..
Dave,I do believe I have my serving satisfied,for at least a week!!!!!

Thank you Dave..
that has really started my day , in a great mood!!! completely hysterical!!!!

sally

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
iconnections - one of the worst timeshare experiences we have ever had was at Paradise Village. We were staying there on an exchange and took the tour for a Spa day there. We arrived and the salesman did the initial interview. He determined that we were not eligible for the tour & gift. He said he could tell that we were not really interested and was not going to waste his time on us - we did not get a breakfast or gift.

We did already own 3 timeshares and were honest that we were not sure that we were ready to buy another one.

Well, to make a long story short, we took a tour of the MP a few days later for a gift, and told them the same thing. Next thing we knew, we had upgraded our Vidafel MP in Mazatlan (Sea Garden) for MP at NV. We really liked the Paradise Village and if we had been given the chance to tour and hear the presentation, we might have bought there instead.

This was back in 1999, just before we planned to retire and would have a lot of time to travel. We now own 8 weeks of timeshare and travel a lot. It was his loss.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
More Mayan Palace sleaze in this thread:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21301

When I joined TUG six years ago, Sunset Palace (and related resorts) logged by far the most purchase complaints here at TUG - and it wasn't close.

Over the last several years, Mayan has eclipsed Sunset, and again it isn't close.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite Mayan Palace presentation was at the new resort in Los Cabo. It was last fall and still very under construction. First they got me there by cab from CABO this new resort is in San Jose. The first person got a manager because I had toured a Mayan before in the last 3 years(Rivieria) they didn't know if they could legally tour me(whatever). They did tour me with a sales rep that was Canadian and had been working there for about 3 weeks. He was way over 50. We had to really walk slow to make our 90 minutes pass. When it came time for pricing he presented. I said great I would take the two-bedroom Grand for 4,000.00 plus closing costs of course. We went trough the whole that is impossible etc etc. He started laughing and said when the closer came over to tell him the same thing. I then put my credit card on the table and said right now one time offer just for today. My 90 minutes where over the room was full of people and I was out of there in less then 5 minutes with my 200.00 US cash. :cool:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
jules54 said:
I said great I would take the two-bedroom Grand for 4,000.00 plus closing costs of course. . . .I then put my credit card on the table and said right now one time offer just for today. . . :cool:
That is classic! I'll have to remember that technique.

taffy19

Reaction score
pittle said:
iconnections - one of the worst timeshare experiences we have ever had was at Paradise Village. We were staying there on an exchange and took the tour for a Spa day there. We arrived and the salesman did the initial interview. He determined that we were not eligible for the tour & gift. He said he could tell that we were not really interested and was not going to waste his time on us - we did not get a breakfast or gift.

We did already own 3 timeshares and were honest that we were not sure that we were ready to buy another one.

Well, to make a long story short, we took a tour of the MP a few days later for a gift, and told them the same thing. Next thing we knew, we had upgraded our Vidafel MP in Mazatlan (Sea Garden) for MP at NV. We really liked the Paradise Village and if we had been given the chance to tour and hear the presentation, we might have bought there instead.

This was back in 1999, just before we planned to retire and would have a lot of time to travel. We now own 8 weeks of timeshare and travel a lot. It was his loss.
I didn't know that Paradise Village would refuse to give someone a tour once they are there already. That certainly wasn't nice to you and they lost out by doing that! :rolleyes: Several times, when we were walking on the beach in PV and the timeshare sharks approached us for the MP or Paradise Village, they would ask our age. In other words, there is an age limit and they must have wondered if we had passed it. We had to take that insult too instead of leaving us alone. :eek:

I notice that you own weeks at the Buganvilias too. The resort may not be as nice as the Grand Velas or the GMP but we like the relaxed atmosphere there and it is so close to town. :D You see a lot of happy people, who come back year after year. We got to know a few. I also like the hotel bar at night after we come back from dinner in town. It was very busy with conventions in January but people had a great time and they had many activities for them even in the pools and they are heated. :)

I would stay away from the "owner's update" as it is nothing more than getting you to buy additional weeks and belong to another exchange company. They are no longer pushing RCI memberships. One nice thing here is that there is no mandatory A-I fee and you are forced to pay double if you would like to eat out.

The Velas Vallarta makes it mandatory to all RCI exchangers even if the owner's contract doesn't have this clause when they bought. The Buganvilias gives you an option to buy a package for several days. We have never looked into it yet as we like to go in town. We didn't even care for their fancy hotel restaurant but we liked the breakfast every day as it would tie you over to dinner and we enjoyed the terrace outside.

We love our A-I week at the Grand Velas because it is inconvenient to go to PV for dinner as it takes at least 20 minutes to get there with a cab.

All in all, we love to visit Mexico as most people are very friendly and we like the area too. From what I hear is that PV is more the traditional Mexico while other tourist areas are so Americanized. You may as well vacation in FL. JMHO.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Emmy - yes we love the Sheraton. I have 4 1-bedroom units and a 2-bedroom unit reserved for this year's family Thanksgiving vacation. I think our group will really enjoy being right downtown. We are going for 2 weeks ourselves - we never go for just 1 week anymore.

We were surprised about being turned down for a tour at Paradise Village. We are young retirees and I was just 51 at the time they did not let us take the tour.

Phyllis

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawrence Welk Resort, San Diego, CA
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II , Palm Desert, CA
We toured the Mayan Palace in PV in the summer of 2004. We started with the fact that we owned the Lawrence Welk Villas, bought resale for 5K and we would be happy to consider something nice for a similiar price. After trying a few different closers, they let us go in 1 hour with a really nice brunch and $300 US cash.

I say say that our friend did the tour at the Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta and had no timeshare knowledge. They were back in about 3-4 hours. But at least they did not buy.

MJK

sally

Reaction score
My bad one...

Although we have been to many....At least one a vacation,2 or 3 times a year, for as long as I can remember.

The one that does stand out, was in p. v. mexico, at the old vida-fel.(witch is now THE MAYAN PALACE !!!!)

We did not take the bait and wanted our free jeep and excursion tickets.The manager came over and started to speil heavy..salivating at every word...We stood strong.."no,no, not for us,"he went on "But you vacation this much a year anyway!!" Just then, a Huge loogy came flying our way...I ducked,but not in time, we were wearing his saliva!!

Was It intentional??Perhaps...seeing that this was one of the famous (rabid) Mayan empire sales guys in his infancy!!

Years later ,touring the Mayan palace in riviera maya,I thought the 2 resorts must be connected in some way ,because of the common main resort down south in accapolco.This past atrocity, did not sour me, on considering A Grand mayan property,despite our expierience at vida-fel. We made the purchase.

We were buying the resort! not thier salesman.

Sorry for spelling errors...I must have a lack of education or something!!

sally

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
jules54 said:
I then put my credit card on the table and said right now one time offer just for today. My 90 minutes where over the room was full of people and I was out of there in less then 5 minutes with my 200.00 US cash. :cool:

I absolutely LOVE this approach. The timeshare folks are always telling US that this is a take it or leave it deal. We have to make a decision TODAY or lose out. Of course, it is never a deal that one must take immediately. The deal or a much better one is there tomorrow and forever.

But why not turn the tables on the saleapeople? Just tell them "I wlil pay $XX for this timeshare. Here is my credit card. Take it or leave it. You have 33 more minutes (or whatever is remaining on your tour time) to let me know. So go and get your managers to sign off on this deal. Otherwise, I am out of here!"

This is the best approach I have read in my years of timesharing. I will definitely remember this.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course to use my approach you must be ready to buy if the sales department would meet your offer. I was very sure in my case this would never happen. I also had just read on TUG before leaving on vacation that a couple of people had bought two-bedroom GRANDS on resale. I would have had a stroke if they took the offer, but on the other hand I would have had that two-bedroom GRAND :D
On a later tour that same week at the Hilton I did the same thing. I offered the resale price I had seen on Holiday group plus 500.00 for a full contract. With no more then 450.00 closing costs. My sales woman got excited and said she thought she could do that, but she had to see her manager. She came back said yes and we did the handshake thing. She then proceded to draw up a contract for the Hilton vacation club. this was not the purchase of a contract on a one-bedroom unit. No unit size no dates no weeks type nothing. Just prices for different size units WHEN and IF AVAILABLE. With a 999.00 closing fee. It got pretty ugly after that. The saleslady got sheepish got a salesman to come over and explain. Then admitted they could not do the deal I wanted, and there must have been a misunderstanding. He tried to get me to go look at a studio unit. No doubt to get me out of the salesroom. I said NO and would never do business with this organization after what they just tried to pull. It got nasty with a manager walking me to the front and telling the gift presentation check-out people to take 5% tax out of my cash gift. The woman at the front looked at me and said"did he say 5% tax" as the manager had screamed it across the lobby area. I said yes that is what he said. She and I both started laughing. True it was kind of embrassing :rolleyes: but then I didn't know anyone there so what did I care. My point to this long sorry is be very careful what your buying if they meet your price. I could have easily paid 3,500.00 for a vacation club that they probably sell for less then 1,500.00.
Also note I was touring alone. If my husband would have been present, it would have never gone this way. They probably would have had to call the police or a medic to get my husband off the sales manager throat. Ya know how some guys take being called names so personally :D Hubby hates to tour. It challenges his ego tooo much. He always calls me the his pit-bull. Because first I see-talk-deal then if things go badly I verbally rip the throat out.

Last edited:

Colorado Belle

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread has given me a laugh or two....I enjoyed the curry stove and the 'last time offer' methods. I actually have one of my own, tried out on a Fairfield hardsell at Bonnet Creek....I had told them i was comparing Bonnet Creek with Disney Vacation Club and that I was going to BOTH presentations.
They were careful not to downplay Disney, but at the end ,kept delaying and making offers that I thought were hilarious.

So finally, I said, sweet as could be: well, I'm sorry that you can't 'hold' your offer until after I tour DIsney tomorrow. I guess I'll just have to buy that Bonnet Creek resale that is on ebay and I named a ridiculously low point price (but actually one that was actually offered on ebay for FF points.)

That did it....got my free stuff and no more yak. They KNOW that resale is usuallyl 25 per cent of their lowest prices and that they can't compete. So when you let them know that you know about resale...they kinda move you out fast!

ehollin

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting non-event. We checked in at GM Riviera Maya in January on an exchange from our SA timeshare bought resale (this was our first timeshare, and first trade). At check in, our greeter asked some questions, which was obviously an intro to the pitch, including that if we did the tour any time during the week, we would get 10% off all we spent on site. Told her we were not likely interested at all, and told her how we got there. She politely told us she had heard of people buying SA timshares to trade, and that they seemed to be a pretty good deal. She said we were a low likelihood buyer, but that she would call us later in the week anyway to see how we were doing. Never heard from her again, nor from anyone trying to sell us. My wife and I did enjoy the people watching all week of guests being escorted around on their tours, and eavesdropping on the pitches we heard in the restaurant and elsewhere. We had a wonderful time, paid a fair price to use the spa and eat in the restaurants, and left with no bad taste from being harassed. Maybe we were lucky that there was an abundance of targets other than us that week.