• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traveling to Hawaii's Outer Islands

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm curious about those of you who travel from the US mainland to Hawaii's Outer Islands. Now that some airlines are flying directly to those destinations (specifically Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island), do you fly directly there, or do you connect through Honolulu? In your experience, is it cheaper and/or easier to connect through Honolulu? I'm seeing a lack of direct flights to the Outer Islands, so am wondering whether it'd just be easier to bite the bullet and fly to HNL and take it from there. What's your experience?

Dave

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It all depends....

If you are going direct to one of the other islands, there is no reason to connect through HNL unless you can find a significantly cheaper fare with the connection. By flying nonstop, you'll have more vacation time and can avoid the cattle-car atmosphere of the separate HNL terminal for flights to those other islands.

Incidentally, some of the airlines have had nonstop flights from the mainland to those other islands for at least 40 years (when I first started visiting Hawaii.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We fly from the west coast. I would never go through Honolulu if I could prevent it. Mostly because I don't want to waste the time it takes to change planes.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
We now have a non stop from Phoenix to Kauai. I miss not going into HNL and seeing the view of the beach and Pearl Harbor!

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
It's sometimes less expensive for me to fly from Chicago to HNL, then take Aloha to another island. Or if I'm vacationing with a friend from another city, we meet in HNL and fly together to our destination.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We always connect through Oahu, because we use FF miles on Hawaiian Air, and we have to change planes on Oahu. But it's FREE! :D

I think Hawaiian Air does have a few direct flights, but not from our area.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew Delta direct from Atlanta to Maui for Thanksgiving last year. Painless! I never even considered stopping on Oahu...

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm flying United, using FF miles Chicago (ord) to Kona. My Daughter & Hubby are using American FF miles, they're going Chicago (ord) to Hnl. My daughter's friend is flying US Air going Chicago (ord) to Phoenix, than on to Kona. My son & his wife, using United FF miles, are flying from Portland to San Francisco, than on the Kona. American seems to be cheaper in Chicago to go thru Hnl. I would rather avoid hnl, unless I was going there, or it was cheaper!

Marsha :wave:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I usually fly to HNL, then connect. Mostly because it's usually a hundred or so dollars cheaper, and I don't mind the connection (what's a 10 minute walk and an hour connection?). Also, I usually spend a day or more on Oahu whenever I go to Hawaii, because I have family and friends there, and there are better restaurants there.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
I'm curious about those of you who travel from the US mainland to Hawaii's Outer Islands. Now that some airlines are flying directly to those destinations (specifically Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island), do you fly directly there, or do you connect through Honolulu? In your experience, is it cheaper and/or easier to connect through Honolulu? I'm seeing a lack of direct flights to the Outer Islands, so am wondering whether it'd just be easier to bite the bullet and fly to HNL and take it from there. What's your experience?

Dave
Aloha Dave,
The first day that Alaska Airlines announced their new Seattle - Lihue (Kauai) non stop :clap: , we booked it. That first day it was heavily discounted. We look forward to using that non stop Alaska flight even if there is a mild premium to do so. We go in winter. We've had weather and mechanical flight disruptions.
Jack

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Incidentally, some of the airlines have had nonstop flights from the mainland to those other islands for at least 40 years (when I first started visiting Hawaii.

Took a United from SFO to Hilo way back in 78. Then flew direct to Kauai and home from there. Never did see Honolulu which was just another big city to us and thus very uninteresting.

Cheers

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Okay, let me try this again. :)

For example: If I want to fly from Seattle to Lihue on Alaska Airlines, there is only one flight a day, which arrives later in the evening, well after check-in time at my resort. If I choose to connect through Honolulu, I can arrive at a much more reasonable time. But that means dealing with the connecting flight, and extra flight time required. I'd like to figure out how to get there and back in the easiest way possible.

So what I'm asking is if you fly direct to the Outer Islands, how do you do it? Is it more convenient or cheaper than connecting through HNL? How do you make your arrangements? Is there anyone on TUG from the Seattle area who flies via LAX or SFO or wherever to get connections directly to those Outer Island cities? What about the return trip?

Thanks,
Dave

Pila

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, it is cost plus arrival time. Flying ATA to the outer islands means arriving around 9:40 pm in Lihue. By the time you get your car and bags, you are pushing 11 pm by the time you get to your resort, which wipes out the next day for early activities. The return flight is a Red Eye getting back around 5:45 am. I can fly on Hawaiian or Aloha via HNL and get to Lihue around 2:30, which gives me some time to shop for food.

charford

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fly NWA. I generally choose by arrival time with a strong preference to nwa because of ff mile accumulation. My preferred route to kona involves a direct msp-hnl flight on the inbound. It arrives around 4 p.m, so there is plenty of time to make up for any missed connection and still get the rental car and get to the resort.

I found on my last trip, when I did miss the connection, that the car rental closed at 10:30, before connecting flights stopped for the evening. :eek:

On the return, I take a koa-sea-msp route. Nwa also has a hnl-msp return, but it arrives at 6 a.m. Central time or 2 a.m. HI time which leaves me feeling jet-lagged for days. By returning via Seattle, I arrive at noon Central time or 8 a.m. HI time. The later arrival leaves me feeling much more functional instead of exhausted for days.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew Phoenix-Lihue on US Air in December because it was the lowest priced according to Orbitz. Going to Kauai the flight was very convenient with an early arrival which we prefer. Going back to the mainland was very inconvenient and we were on the last flight out of Lihue at 1140pm. (I would have preferred leaving at 530 pm and getting home at 830 am)

Really would have preferred to have Scotty from Star Trek to beam us up and over in both directions. :D Coming back is always the worst.:zzz: Takes days to recover.

Sterling