• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you see this photo? Comcast photo hosting test

taffy19

Reaction score
I couldn't see it either with the Mac or the PC but when I used the control key for the Mac and right-clicked the mouse for the PC, the picture showed up in a new window on both computers and then I could see it in the post because it is still in the cache.

Can you see my picture here? It was taken from the Maui Schooner in Kihei in November last year.

mauischooner2.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
using IE version 7.0.5730.11. However, I right clicked on the red x and opened up "properties", copied the hyperlink and pasted it onto a new page and voila; so I experimented by saving it to my hard drive.

P.S. Once I got it here from Photobucket, it also appeared in your original post. So now what? Do you suppose you have to upload your photos to a site like Photobucket?

I can see it with FF 2.0.0.12

I can't see it with the latest IE6 w/patches for XP.

So, I figured it must be a security setting in internet options, since the picture is not hosted on the TUG website, and I can obviously see icons, etc. Damned if I can figure out which one it is though. I'm sure that's got to be what it is, Steve. I did try though. My IE Internet Zone options security is set to Medium, which is probably the default. I tried changing it to Low, and that didn't make any difference. There's one setting in there that looked promising, but that didn't seem to have any effect either. I also looked on the advanced pane, and there was nothing obvious there.

-David
It seems that once you get the picture into the IE cache, it displays. If you paste the link directly into an IE photo bar the picture will load. But if the link is within a pair the IMG tags used by the BBS software, the picture won't load. And, as far as I can tell, the problem only happens with Comcast hosted photos.

It also was not an issue four or five months ago, when I was posting some Hawai'i pics in a thread on that forum. Returning to that forum now, though, the Comcast hosted pics don't show in an IE browser. So something has changed in the last six months, either at Comcast or here.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's different. I copied the link into IE, loaded the image, then loaded this thread and it's there. Maybe you found an IE bug?

Before, I don't even think it showed up as a link in IE6, just the x image.

-David

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
upon posting this reply....

I'm not seeing it when viewed in your message. I'm using IE v6.0.2800.1106

IF however I go to the properties of the broken image link, copy the URL from there and open that address in a separate IE window, it displays fine.

ps: upon posting this reply, the image then displayed within your post above this reply. I don't really understand why it didn't work when I first opened it...but it's there now.

Exactly the same response for me using IE 7.0.6. :)

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've just come back to the thread and the OP just had the red x again. Other photos, including that from the OP were displayed correctly in later replies. Hit F5 and the pic appeared in the OP as well. (I can't find a "running off into the distance screaming" smilie)

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keith and Steve,

I'm back and the original photo in Steve's original post that showed up last night is now not showing up. I did not shut down or delete any cache. This is weird.

And Emmy, I see your photo.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I can't see it on my IE either ... don't know what version it is as it's new and doesn't seem to show an 'About...' button. I upgraded by mistake and miss the previous IE.

Brian

taffy19

Reaction score
I believe that Brian (TUG Administrator) needs to change a setting in the new version of vBulletin. This seems to happen every time when a new version is installed. What do you think, Brian? It has to do with ActiveX, I believe. :crash:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i dont think its a BBS setting at all. if it were...id think it would impact more pictures than just ones hosted on comcast servers.

and from what I understand...the BBS hasnt been "upgraded" to a new version in quite some time.

this issue seems to come and go with more frequency than any changes to BBS versions.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
i dont think its a BBS setting at all. if it were...id think it would impact more pictures than just ones hosted on comcast servers.

and from what I understand...the BBS hasnt been "upgraded" to a new version in quite some time.

this issue seems to come and go with more frequency than any changes to BBS versions.

I've asked Ken at TS4Ms if I can put up a companion thread there to poll people to see if the same thing happens with their VBulletin software - I'm hoping that might help isolate the issue.

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm using IE 7.0.5730.11 & at first I could not see it; but when I went to properties, copy the url & went there, it came up fine. Upon closing & going back to original page, it opened up.

Marsha

I'm not seeing it when viewed in your message. I'm using IE v6.0.2800.1106

IF however I go to the properties of the broken image link, copy the URL from there and open that address in a separate IE window, it displays fine.

ps: upon posting this reply, the image then displayed within your post above this reply. I don't really understand why it didn't work when I first opened it...but it's there now.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve,

Are YOU seeing your photo on this thread? I am again, following Marsha's path.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Steve,

Are YOU seeing your photo on this thread? I am again, following Marsha's path.

Probably stating the obvious, but the fact that it is possible to get the photo to display isn't directly relevant to the problem. It should be displayed all the time without any messing about. Today it wasn't displayed when I first accessed the thread, but after viewing Page 2 and returning to Page 1 it had appeared. :shrug:

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it first try on Netscape "ver. 8.1.3 - based on Firefox". Great picture, too bad there was some hair in front of the lens in the lower left corner.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I'm using IE 7.0.5730.11 & at first I could not see it; but when I went to properties, copy the url & went there, it came up fine. Upon closing & going back to original page, it opened up.
I have the same IE as Marsha. The first time Steve posted this photo I saw it, but the next day I had only the red box. But, doing the same thing Marsha did, I was able to see it again in Steve's post.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
too bad there was some hair in front of the lens in the lower left corner.

That's actually vegetation. I was shooting from within deep shade toward the sunlit pali, and caught the edge of a branch. As I was sitting on the back of a mule in motion, it was tough to get the photo framed exactly. I probably should have cropped it out.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as stated before...works fine after cut/paste link and getting the picture into cache.

I really dont see this as a bbs issue...the tags around images on every vbulletin installation on the planet etc...are standard.

it is the job of the browser to interpret said code and display the picture within it.

that said...heres a related link I found

[url]http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000572948&start=261[/url]

doesnt appear you are alone with the picture issue.

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't see the photo.
I am using IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254

(I guess I could have shortened it to IE6.0, but wanted to give you all the info).

I can see the photo in Mozilla 1.7.1

Evelyn

Last edited:

wfillion

TUG Member
Reaction score
In IE7 went into Tools, Internet Options, Security and selected custom setting for Internet, then enabled the option 'Display video and animation on a webpage that does not use external media player' the image appeared.

Well that wasn't the issue after all.

After more digging I found that setting the privacy cookie level to low still does not show the picture initially but hitting refresh or right clicking and selecting show picture displays the picture.

I was able to determine that when you enter the thread a cookie is attempted to be loaded from 'home.comcast.net'. It works when you paste the address directly as it's then a first party cookie but from the tug bbs thread it's a third party cookie whch is blocked at the medium privacy level.

All this talk about cookies has made me hungry!

Last edited: