• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New DVC Resales Restrictions

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I've been a member since the beginning of DVC and the perks have for the most part been relatively insignificant. The addition of an annual pass discount is the only one of any real impact IMO, and I have not utilized that discount as I do not go that many park days in any given year. I still love DVC for exactly what it is: a points-based system with tremendous flexibility that gives me access to some wonderful resorts at a greatly decreased price. And that won't change.

I think DVC's biggest mistake was not differentiation between resale and direct for so many years. And then of course they have allowed resales to become very widespread so the chickens finally came home to roost. Resales have been hurting direct sales for some time. I am in the camp that thinks DVC has really started to out-price themselves, & they apparently had not been exercising ROFR that often so little wonder that resales have ramped up so much. And the resale value has been very strong for the most part.

Totally agree with the above post. Except we have not been members since the beginning.

freediverdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
More restrictions on resales usually cause the market price on resales to DROP. Many families MIGHT have brought a 100 point or less DVC contract for access and discounts on APs & dining.

Will it boost directly buying from DVC? Simple answer, NO.

The typical middle class family of 5 would ONLY save $500 on APs every year. A direct buy from DVC would cost WAY more of a factor OVER the savings.

A friend of mine PAID cash for a week stay in BLT penthouse/conceignor floor several years ago. He had NO PROBLEM paying for ANY SERVICE he wanted .. he is above MIDDLE CLASS but NOT rich. He felt that it was LESS hassle to have goffers run errands (like getting more diapers for his youngest) than doing anything other than going to the parks each day, some pool time and then choosing where to dine. The staff stocked his favorite beverage in their reception area .. ice cold. He was happy; wife was happy; kids happy ... DAMN THE BILL ... he did NOT care. He was on family vacation.

And his brother and that family did the same trip the year before. Same spend the money for service and ease .. for the Disney experience.

He did NOT understand WHY I would own DVC points or any timeshare. Easy to just rent as vacation and be handled by the floor staff working there.

Well, if he stayed where I think he did (BLT doesn't have a concierge floor, but the main Contemporary building does), then he spent as much on that SINGLE TRIP as it cost to buy a sizable DVC contract. And the BLT DVC person will be staying in that same location (or have access to others) for the next however many years, 40? Until the contract runs out. AND have a villa instead of a regular hotel room. Yes, some people didn't run around getting some diapers or drinks for him, but as usual at Disney, you really pay exponentially more for anything extra like that to the point that it is not really worth it for most people.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a DVC owner, this devalues my property, so I am not pleased.

I suppose if there's a glimmer of hope, it's that DVC might start adding more owner perks to encourage developer sales. Resale owners who are grandfathered in might receive those new benefits as well.

But overall, a very unwelcome change.

joanncanary

TUG Member
Reaction score
end date

With all of these changes, one thing Disney has not changed is that each resort membership has an end date. Other timeshares like Wyndham are life long memberships. I was an original owner of DVC when there was only one resort, yes got the free tickets for 8 years but had to sell when college for my daughter was a priority. I was then able to buy a smaller resale contract and I still love DVC but receiving that letter really turned my stomach and I told my husband that I will not go to Disney next year and I never miss my yearly Disney trip... Yes I am grandfathered in but I am very disappointed with Disney, they were the best that you could ever have and I have gotten so many others to join but now they are like all others. I enjoy using my wyndham points and trading in to extend my time of happiness and they were a fraction of the cost. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing like owning Disney points I could never live without them again but the spirit of Disney is faltering and I am sad.

Last edited:

freediverdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of this makes me wonder if Disney is getting ready to announce some really big perk, one that they will only be able to afford to give to current owners and people paying the new direct pricing. Or they feel like they have to try to limit the number of people going to some of the events in the future, because the membership keeps growing.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC and all the other timeshare systems walk a fine line when devaluing external resales to the extent that their direct sales don't suffer for it. IMO their direct sales are helped by restricting ancillary discounts, but they'd be just as hurt as you if they severely restrict external resales.

Taking AP and other discounts away from resale purchasers, that's a carrot dangling in front of a could-be direct purchaser that impacts existing owners only slightly. Restricting external resales to home resort usage only, that's a punishment that depresses any and all external market activity to the severe detriment of DVC as well as every owner. It would leave DVC in the position that they'd have to take back every non-performing contract or risk the resorts falling into disrepair and arrears, because owners who won't want them anymore - or won't be able to afford them anymore - will have no way to unload them. Eventually that would lead to more and more owners wanting to get out because the added costs of the non-performers will be on their shoulders, at which time DVC will have no choice but to supplement the non-performers or disconnect from the resort. They don't want either scenario to happen.

Buying Vero as an exchanger in order to save money is rather short-sighted, isn't it, considering the annual MF cost for Vero is so much more than the others? I wouldn't think that too many savvy purchasers, which external resale purchasers usually are, would be doing that.

I once owned a Vero contract. The cost per point in MFs made it an untenable choice for Disney Vacation Club points. So no that is not a good option.

Hm. True, no discounts on park passes back then... because DVC gave FREE park tickets to DVC members who were staying on points at DVC resorts until year 2000. :rofl: Oh how times have changed. Back then, DVC would not even use the word "timeshare" and they marketed the company brilliantly, effectively distancing themselves from the rest of the industry. But that was then.
Also true... and it's good advice to anyone considering any timeshare purchase to only count on what's in writing.

However, the argument that benefits come and go, is not what this is about. The difference here is that those benefits will now only come and go for some members/owners. And because of this... you no longer have points that could potentially be sold in the same way that you had last week. When you bought, you were not informed that you would not be able to resell your membership as an equivalent membership in benefit availability to other DVC memberships. You were simply told that your points could be rented, sold, or willed to heirs... with the implication being that a potential buyer would see equivalent value between your points and DVC's "new" points from the same home resort.

If you never sell, you may not care that DVC has devalued your membership's monetary value and ease of resell. But others here have good reason to see this as a greedy business practice: It exclusively helps Disney's bottom line while it exclusively hurts DVC members' bottom line (when/if they eventually opt to sell their points). Just because so many other timeshare companies have done this same thing in the last decade or so, and Disney is late to the party, doesn't make such practice any less "sleazy".
Perhaps. And that's exactly what Cindy was suggesting... with this business decision, DVC has followed right along in the footsteps of other greedy timeshare companies. :ponder: When we sold our DVC points, it was not because of any of this. We still enjoy occasional vacations at DVC resorts. We may even buy back in, some day. Who knows?

When Wyndham made our resale points ineligible for some benefits, it made no practical difference to us because we didn't care about those benefits and we don't plan to sell. But we paid a couple thousand dollars for our first resale Wyndham/Fairfield contract back in the 1990's, when they were FairShare Plus points. A couple years after Wyndham pulled benefits from these resale points, we were given a terrific Wyndham points contract for FREE, paying only closing costs. In both cases, we bought contracts from original owners who had paid full developer retail price and lost money when they sold to us. The sellers who resold to us after this policy change, lost thousands more than others! Meanwhile, when this seller was losing so much more, Wyndham was increasing their developer sales and profits.

Now, we do still enjoy our Wyndham resort stays immensely. We may even purchase more resale points because we like the resorts and the system overall very much. But make no mistake, Wyndham devalued ALL of the contracts of Wyndham owners when they pulled benefits from resales. And in the same way, Disney has indeed devalued what you and every other DVC member owns (and could resell). We felt that this decision at Wyndham was greedy, if not outright sleazy. I don't give Disney a pass, either. It's just as bad... maybe worse when considering the kind of image of DVC that they've marketed all these years. Just my opinion.

I think everyone is taking this too much to heart. The only devaluations are to annual passes and other non essential perks. Calm down. There is no way you can compare Disney Vacation Club to Wyndham. I owned 1500 points that I bought from Disney. I sold them and repurchased the same resorts resale. For me the only downside is not being able to go on the member cruise.

I don't know what 25 points would cost, but I would surely suspect that it would be more than any discount you would get on passes? Perhaps I am wrodong? Just pay full price, in many cases with most timeshare programs, the added cost to buy from the developer isn't worth the incremental benefits that the direct purchase offers.

I was going to buy a 25 point contract to go on a Disney Cruise but I decided it wasn't worth the cash outlay.

As a DVC owner, this devalues my property, so I am not pleased.

I suppose if there's a glimmer of hope, it's that DVC might start adding more owner perks to encourage developer sales. Resale owners who are grandfathered in might receive those new benefits as well.

But overall, a very unwelcome change.

I agree, any change that has a negative impact is unwelcome. I just don't think this change is that big a deal! Breathe in.. Breathe out! Repeat.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are offering the evening upcharge event to DVC Members, but I suspect that's more because the event is not selling well vs. a draw for direct sales.

https://twitter.com/CentralMorgan/status/720333252209160193
The hard-ticketed Extra Magic Hours event is now $149 for non-DVC members??? :eek: I remember when it was $10.

Yeah, I know Disney is a publicly held company that needs to turn a profit. But Walt Disney wanted his theme parks as a place where families could be happy together, not primarily as a profit center. The Disney Corporation is moving further and further from Walt's vision. :bawl:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hard-ticketed Extra Magic Hours event is now $149 for non-DVC members??? :eek: I remember when it was $10.

Yeah, I know Disney is a publicly held company that needs to turn a profit. But Walt Disney wanted his theme parks as a place where families could be happy together, not primarily as a profit center. The Disney Corporation is moving further and further from Walt's vision. :bawl:
The whole family can be happy together for 1 week.. after that they need to all get 2 jobs and start selling blood for another week of happiness a year later

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

elleny76

Reaction score
Jason245..... I have laughed the whole hour after reading your comment....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The whole family can be happy together for 1 week.. after that they need to all get 2 jobs and start selling blood for another week of happiness a year later

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
I had heard about this from an insider last week. The response will be interesting. It doesn't really impact usage of DVC at all. Just the perks/benefits from what I understand.
What, and you didn't post the rumor online? ;) Could have saved a lot of resale purchasers some headache, although to be honest, even with a week notice, you wouldn't have time to get a contract submitted for ROFR.
Would it impact the purchase of annual passes? Would that discount be eliminated for new resale buyers, because that is the only benefit I believe is useful?
Incidental Benefits are required under Florida Statue to be explicitly disclosed. The DVC Membership Extras Acknowledgment and Disclosure describes DVC's Incidental Benefits, including discounted tickets, discounted APs, merchandise discounts, dining discounts, and more nebulous "Special Programs" (which presumably includes things like the free member beach bash, but also could be used to describe almost anything, e.g. the Epcot Member Lounge could be considered a "Special Program").
Interesting that I, as a DVC member who purchased directly over 10 years ago, did not receive this communication directly from DVC via email, but had to find out about this here. Personally this will not affect our family.
It was added as a Notification when you log into dvcmember.com on or after April 4. They also mailed a paper copy on April 4 which members received a couple days later. Regardless, it doesn't apply to existing members.
this is a shame.

just more proof that major developers do not support the resale market at all....truly a shame for owners.
Isn't this par for the course though for Incidental Benefits for other timeshare systems?
What is the discount for AP? Does the discount apply for Disneyland as well as Orlando? Thanks.
The difference in price for family of 4 between a DVC Gold AP (with Christmas/Easter blockout dates) and standard AP is $850 for 4 new APs. See my WDW Ticket Chart for all ticket, ticket options, APs, blockout dates, benefits, and Florida/AP discounts.
There are no discounts on AP's or any general ticket to Disneyland in California for DVC members.
It is a meager (insulting!) discount for Disneyland APs. You might be better off with SoCal passes/pricing.
Yep, a small one -- almost not worth mentioning ;) Agree, SoCal City Pass is the best value for 3 Day DLR Hopper + LEGOLAND + SeaWorld :whoopie:
I don't know what 25 points would cost, but I would surely suspect that it would be more than any discount you would get on passes? Perhaps I am wrong? Just pay full price, in many cases with most timeshare programs, the added cost to buy from the developer isn't worth the incremental benefits that the direct purchase offers.
Generally, I would agree with you. It really depends on how much a particular family would save on perks and how long the perks will last. 25 points from DVC is probably around $4,000. Another question is, whether DVC will raise the floor on the minimum size of an add-on.
Worst case for a WDW resort, the difference between direct and resale for a 25 point contract is going to be $2,000, easily recouped after 2 sets of 4 DVC APs. At up to $850 savings for a set of 4, even if you only plan on receiving that benefit for 20 years, that's a NPV of $17,000 or $680/pt. -- well worth the difference I price (<$85/pt.). I'm not considering the other benefits since you get them with APs as well.
Absolutely. It's spitting in the face of owners who want to resell at some point, hoping to get something back from their original purchase.
Resale prices did drop in 2011 when the first resale restrictions, but so did the entire housing market due to the recession. Clearly, they have recovered, and then some (almost double in some cases). This too shall pass.
Does that mean, only the few overspenders and the OLD resale owners, will get the "Welcome Home" greeting ... morning, noon and night?;)
Jason245..... I have laughed the whole hour after reading your comment....:rofl::rofl:
Exactly :p Hello tenant!
Will this move causes the DVC timeshare market to go up or what ?
If you are referring to direct, then yes -- which is the whole goal. Now, first time buyers swept up in the magic at WDW will be less likely to get cold feet or rescind after a timeshare presentation since they will justify buying their first contract direct then adding on resale, given all the benefits -- same day access to membership/points, closing within 2 weeks, available financing, loaded contracts (previous and current UY points with only proportional current UY dues), hotel/cruise benefits, and now Membership Extras. The financially saavy folks will still buy resale, but be more likely to add-on direct. Combined, these will almost certainly boost direct sales.
They are offering the evening upcharge event to DVC Members, but I suspect that's more because the event is not selling well vs. a draw for direct sales.

https://twitter.com/CentralMorgan/status/720333252209160193

There is also a new Early Morning Magic as well...and premium parking. You can thank Bob for all these new "opportunities" :ignore:

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Now, first time buyers swept up in the magic at WDW will be less likely to get cold feet or rescind after a timeshare presentation since they will justify buying their first contract direct then adding on resale, given all the benefits -- same day access to membership/points, closing within 2 weeks, available financing, loaded contracts (previous and current UY points with only proportional current UY dues), hotel/cruise benefits, and now Membership Extras. The financially saavy folks will still buy direct, but be more likely to add-on direct. Combined, these will almost certainly boost direct sales.
Helpful post... and I share in your expectation that this move will boost direct sales on both fronts, with first time buyers who don't rescind and with future resale purchasers who will decide add some direct purchase points to their account, ultimately having more points than originally planned. I suspect you intended to say the "financially savvy folks will still buy resale, but be more likely to add-on direct"???

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts

I laughed so hard at your post. I had a mental picture of turning the kids up-side-down trying to shake money out of their pockets.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Helpful post... and I share in your expectation that this move will boost direct sales on both fronts, with first time buyers who don't rescind and with future resale purchasers who will decide add some direct purchase points to their account, ultimately having more points than originally planned. I suspect you intended to say the "financially savvy folks will still buy resale, but be more likely to add-on direct"???
Thanks! Ah, yes -- was referring to buying resale then adding on direct (25 pt. minimum contract) -- corrected :wave:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I laughed so hard at your post. I had a mental picture of turning the kids up-side-down trying to shake money out of their pockets.
I think the imaginary commentary of trying to explain why you are doing that to a toddler would be even funnier. .

elleny76

Reaction score
Thank you for the good laugh!:hysterical:

We go to WDW every 3 months (NJ here!) My kids love it and we just love to see them smiling. We get the WDW Gold_ AP since we have AP for seaworld_Aquatica and we use the water park all the time. Once they are older then we will get the WDW AP platinum.

We save $$ in the Disney vacation account per month and at the end of year we have enough to buy AP+ Etc.

Its pricey but the memories are amazing! :D

UOTE=Jason245;1878595]I think the imaginary commentary of trying to explain why you are doing that to a toddler would be even funnier. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let be the first to welcome all you Disney owners to the land of the one dollar timeshare

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let be the first to welcome all you Disney owners to the land of the one dollar timeshare
Excellent. .. I have been waiting for this day to come... :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take the bet on the side that it won't happen. In reality it'll likely make little difference in the price with the current changes though I do think DVC is overpriced right now so some adjustment is likely in order.

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace
i purchased my dvc contract direct in 2011 at blt, if i add on points at blt through a resale will the restrictions affect me if a book a room with the total points of both contracts.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i purchased my dvc contract direct in 2011 at blt, if i add on points at blt through a resale will the restrictions affect me if a book a room with the total points of both contracts.
Likely but unknown. They could change it in the future such that contracts wouldn't be combined. But for most perks if you're a qualified owner you should get the benefits regardless of which points are used.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Everyone should be disappointed their DVC value decreased with the lack of benefits in resale.

I don't understand the people who say DVC should have done this long ago. Really? So you think once someone has paid retail for Disney that resale points should have less value? Who benefits from that argument. If you own points, don't you think it's too bad your buyer someday cannot reap the same rewards? So you think selling cheaper is better for you? That's what it comes down to.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score

No. The new restrictions are on the definition of "Member." If you have any qualifying points in your account, you are a Member.