• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering buying another timeshare than adding points to HGVC

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
After reading all of your valuable opinions, I am now considering new option - keep my 5,000 HGVC and buy another non-HGVC timeshare; of course, resale at this time. :cool:

I think I have been using 5,000 points very good and if I plan ahead of time, just like what I have had so far, maybe I can use HGVC for every other year and use another timeshare for the other every other year(it sounds a bit weird but I am sure you understand what I mean.)

Anyone doing this? If then, what would be good 'next' buy? I am looking for something flexible like HGVC and from what I have read it looks like HGVC is the most flexible one. So next flexible one will work. We won't be going to same place every time; we love to go different places. If less flexible yet low maintenance, I will consider it, too.

Your experts opinion is greatly appreciated!

Now considering new option after reading tuggs

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider Worldmark even more flexible than HGVC, and I own both. Many more locations, but mainly West Coast. Resorts are not as high end as HGVC, but good enough. Plus, lower MFs / dues, and usually lower upfront buy in cost.

Great3

Last edited:

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
I will check out Worldmark. We are spoiled from HGVC resorts yet still appreciate all the others. We have stayed at 3 star rated RCI one and it was still good for us - no complaints. Thank you for your recommendation!

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks by your other thread that you favor the Eastern Seaboard and Hawaii. Take a look at Club Wyndham, too. They have more inventory in the Eastern US than Worldmark.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks by your other thread that you favor the Eastern Seaboard and Hawaii. Take a look at Club Wyndham, too. They have more inventory in the Eastern US than Worldmark.

Yes, if you are looking for East Coast, than Club Wyndham is good. Usually very cheap buy in (cheaper than Worldmark), but generally higher MF / dues than Worldmark. Not as flexible as Worldmark, but still pretty good flexibility like HGVC.

Definitely, where you live and where you prefer to travel is most important (whichever system has the resorts in the locations you want), that's the club that is bested suited to buy into. Club Wyndham (East Coast) and Worldmark (West Coast) complement each other nicely.

Good luck on your search OP...

Great3

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If you want to be assured of consistent quality to what you have come to expect from HGVC, I would check out Marriott and Starwood.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Use TUG to determine which club has the resorts in the area you are most interested in. Hilton came up short for me on beach resort locations on the Florida Panhandle. Our Wyndham points take care of that need quite well. Downside, are the constant pushes to get you into the "owner updates" with Wyndham. Also, Wyndham does not provide midweek cleanings unless you are VIP Gold or better, which you don't get with resale points.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
After reading all of your valuable opinions, I am now considering new option - keep my 5,000 HGVC and buy another non-HGVC timeshare; of course, resale at this time. :cool:

Yeah, some of us own multiple systems for various reasons. Each system has their PROs and CONs.

I really like WorldMark. I wanted a decent trader with Interval International (II) so I could exchange into the other hotel based timeshares every other year. It works for us since we can travel anytime during the year (not restricted to a school calendar).

Worldmark met our needs.
- low maintenance fees (less than $1K)
- low purchase price (less than $5K)
- access to both II & RCI
- banking and borrowing
- flexibility to exchange into any size unit
- allows members to rent additional points from other members.

See these old threads
HGVC + Worldmark owners - Questions Please (2013) http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202811
Question: For anyone that owns more then one time share (2014) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210627

hgvcowner9

Reaction score

You got it right! I am in the Midwest meaning wherever I go around, it is boring flat land. :p Don't get me wrong, I love where I live yet for vacation, we want to travel to see something different. And being in the Midwest, most places are far away. There are some timeshare in Midwest area yet we don't have too much desire to go. :shrug:

Anyone in Midwest who owns more than one timeshare? what is your combo? I feel like Midwesterner must fly to go vacation wherever it is..
We have driven to Orlando and Yellowstone which is 25+ hours drive one way for vacation. We loved it yet I don't think we will be doing it every year so more that likely, we must fly...

Last edited:

love2travel123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still a newbie here myself, but have had HGVC for a long time. We purchased Wyndham a few years ago as well. Our idea was to trade off every other year too, but we take 2 weeks in the summer now so we use both. Hilton is a step up from many other timeshares, but as long as you keep that in mind you should be happy with a lower cost timeshare as well.

Wyndham and Worldmark have very friendly staff and a much bigger inventory. You can travel almost anywhere with them. We do the Grand Waikikian one week then Bali Hai on Kuaia the next. Two very different resorts in two very different locations. Both fantastic!!!

Martiott & Hyatt are more in keeping with Hiltons quality, but I have heard they can be pretty pricey. I am very happy with both systems but they each have their ups & downs. Hilton costs more and does not have the variety of locations. Wyndham has a lot of fees and the toiletries are a lower quality. But we are very happy with both:)

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
How about the RCI?

I used HGVC points at RCI a couple of times and we were satisfied. What do you think about buying RCI? I understand that all the resorts on the RCI network can be different quality yet sometimes nicer ones are available so I think that can be our option. If then is there RCI resale? I am looking at the forums yet don't see one for RCI. Is it because RCI is not separate but just network of all the resorts? I want to learn how the RCI works such as if you have home resort for specific week yet you can still use it for other period. I have looked through all the forums yet wasn't able to find answers.

Learning everyday

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI is an exchange company and not a timeshare system. You can buy a regular timeshare that has already been converted to RCI points and use that to exchange in RCI points. You will get a free weeks account with a paid points account. You will do ongoing searches in weeks and look at online inventory to book in both weeks and points.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You got it right! I am in the Midwest meaning wherever I go around, it is boring flat land. :p Don't get me wrong, I love where I live yet for vacation, we want to travel to see something different. And being in the Midwest, most places are far away. There are some timeshare in Midwest area yet we don't have too much desire to go. :shrug:

Anyone in Midwest who owns more than one timeshare? what is your combo? I feel like Midwesterner must fly to go vacation wherever it is..
We have driven to Orlando and Yellowstone which is 25+ hours drive one way for vacation. We loved it yet I don't think we will be doing it every year so more that likely, we must fly...

Chicagoan here. I own Starwood, Hilton, Wyndham, and Shell, plus a WI resort for a trader in RCI. We like to go to the Caribbean, Florida, Great Lakes, Eastern seaboard, Vegas, Mexico, etc.

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

I'm a Chicago suburbanite and own two weeks at Kauai Beach Villas that have not been converted to Wyndham points, in addition to HGVC. I bought KBV because I like going to Kauai every year. Have thought about buying into another points system but can't afford more MFs at this time.

I may rethink owning KBV once the Hilton Garden Inn opens next year on Kauai and buy into another points system (but don't know which one). I accumulate more than enough Honors points every year for two weeks in Hawaii; HGI rooms have refrigerators and microwaves, which are all the kitchen I need, plus couches; HGI gives free breakfast buffet to gold and diamond members; and my status is likely to get me an oceanview room. That's a good enough trade off for me when I'm traveling alone--and much cheaper than MFs.

Last edited:

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
Hello, neighbor! Please keep me posted - same boat here, don't want to pay more MFs at this time yet 5,000 HGVC points are too tight for yearly vacation. I am doing my homework looking around and leaning towards to the system which gives me access to RCI.