• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ROFR - Request Format

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's mandatory. 81,000 points a year. And I'm trying to sell it.

I never should have bought it. With nothing against the Starwood resorts, the program just doesn't have the flexibility that Hilton does. I see SVO much more as a basic timeshare program where you get a week a year. Sure, you can trade with II into some pretty sweet properties, but you're going to trade your week for a different week. With HGVC you can play your cards right and take the points from your 2BR platinum week and book 3 or 4 weeks in lower seasons and smaller units. Or break it into a bunch of 3-day weekends if you want.

I also like that HGVC lets you borrow points from the next year without having to pay the next years fees. I tried that (booking my 2016 week before I paid my 2016 dues (due 1/1/16) and they wouldn't allow it.

Hilton has a ton of options/resorts, many ways to slice and dice your points, and is really a one-stop shop (unless you venture out into RCI). I found that with SVO and dealing with II it just seems more complicated and more restricted. For example, when I booked my first II trade/week I had to pay an extra fee ($39?) if I wanted to be able to change the reservation at some point in the future. And we're talking about a trip that was 9 or 10 months away. With Hilton you can book whatever you want and as long as you cancel more than 30 days out you get your points back (you lose your $49 fee if you cancel, you don't lose your fee if you just change your dates and/or resort rather than cancel the trip completely).

I'm trying to sell SVO so I can use that money to buy more HGVC points. I really haven't given SVO a shot but have decided that the "fun" of trying a new system isn't worth it and I want all my eggs (and points) in one bucket.

I actually like Starwood a lot and have a good understanding of how you can maximize your ownership and achieve many of the shortcomings you mentioned. I think a problem you may have is that you could use more staroptions. But, depending on where you go, when, and on what unit size, you could conceivably be able to reserve multiple weekends.

I know II is expensive and has many fees. I don't know RCI so I can't comment on that.

HGVC has many resorts and seems to be on expansion mode which I find very appealing. I don't know how to compare overall resort quality. Starwood's elite program seem to offer better benefits.

I think the bad news for you are that Starwood FL resorts, including mandatory phases but to a lesser extent, don't hold their value and sometimes need to be given away.