• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eBay bidding

Armani987

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been trying to bid on my first HGVC unit for a while and every time I bid on a listing, I seem to get outbidden by the same guy! Just this past week, this user have successfully bidden on 4 units! How can someone buy so many? Do you think Hilton actually have someone who acquires unit on eBay?
Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. BTW, username is c***h.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, he can't buy it all. There always a deal to be had, just be patient enough.

Just stick with your max reasonable price... What are you trying to get / bidding on? Than maybe we can comment if your expectations are too high or not...

Good Luck!!!

Great3

Last edited:

Armani987

Reaction score
Must be a Pro who is in flipping business. Buy it cheap on eBay and sell it on RedWeek?? Not even worth the trouble over few hundred dollars

Armani987

Reaction score
Great3,

I was bidding on both 3400 and 5000 in Vegas. 1K for the 3400 and around 1.7K for the latter. Oh well, I just need to get lucky. The one that just ended few minutes ago, he did not bid, but I didn't bid either. Was busy posting here lol.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great3,

I was bidding on both 3400 and 5000 in Vegas. 1K for the 3400 and around 1.7K for the latter. Oh well, I just need to get lucky. The one that just ended few minutes ago, he did not bid, but I didn't bid either. Was busy posting here lol.

Are you sniping or trying to outbid him live?

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Unless you want to drive the price of an auction up, you should never bid until the last moment. Use a sniping service (I use bidnip [http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=16639]]) and set it to bid in the last 5 or 10 seconds. Bid the maximum you are willing to spend. When you lose an auction, tell yourself they paid more than you thought it was worth.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you want to drive the price of an auction up, you should never bid until the last moment. Use a sniping service (I use bidnip [http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=16639]]) and set it to bid in the last 5 or 10 seconds. Bid the maximum you are willing to spend. When you lose an auction, tell yourself they paid more than you thought it was worth.

Yes. ezsniper is the one I use http://www.ezsniper.com

If you bid at all before the very end, you are doing it wrong. If he outsnipes you, then it was worth more to him than it was to you--fair play.

Armani987

Reaction score

Thanks for inputs guys,

Yes, I learned that the hard way last week where I put a high bid in 3 days before ending and there was a guy who bid 50 times live to get where I was. It reached close to its max price 2 days before the ending lol.

But I sniped what I wanted to pay Max for the unit this time around, so no regret there. It's becoming more like a silent auction than a regular auction.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been trying to bid on my first HGVC unit for a while and every time I bid on a listing, I seem to get outbidden by the same guy! Just this past week, this user have successfully bidden on 4 units! How can someone buy so many? Do you think Hilton actually have someone who acquires unit on eBay?
Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. BTW, username is c***h.

I don't buy HGVC but I can tell you 4 weeks is peanuts. There are pros out there buying to fund a rental business or to resell or buying timeshare as a proxy for a second home

Being out bid 4 or 5 times is no big deal. Your time will come. But if it doesn't you will have to re evaluate how you value this stuff and perhaps open your wallet up a little more

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I must have lost 10 to 15 auctions before I got what I got for what I wanted to pay. Use snipping and just try again. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can always message the seller during the auction and offer to buy it at your highest price. They may end the auction early to sell to you.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I so agree with sniping…. Last year when I was looking for a TS in a specific resort that is located in an independently controlled HOA. I sniped to my max amount and kept losing out and then I reached out to mass sellers and offered them a total all in amount and I ended up getting exactly what I wanted for a lower price…So hang in there and by being patient you are able to snag what you want at the price you want to pay.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have never used sniping for a bid. The priority is to the earliest bid. If I get outbid, I figure it wasn't meant to be. Since I have bought about a dozen units on ebay over the years and never paid more than I intended to, I don't feel I need to snipe.

Armani987

Reaction score
I'm not in a rush of any kind. I will be patient and train to be a better sniper. I am also looking on the Marketplace, but the brokers are all the same and they charge pretty high closing costs. Best is to find a fellow TUGGER wanting to sell.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I have never used sniping for a bid. The priority is to the earliest bid. If I get outbid, I figure it wasn't meant to be. Since I have bought about a dozen units on ebay over the years and never paid more than I intended to, I don't feel I need to snipe.

I agree with the spirit of your post, but...

Shill bidders are rampant on Ebay these days. Sniping is one of the few tools you can use to defeat them.

I've seen shills run an auction up to 'fair value' days before close. that pretty much guarantees no bargain deals.

But, point taken; especially on higher priced items.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not in a rush of any kind. I will be patient and train to be a better sniper. I am also looking on the Marketplace, but the brokers are all the same and they charge pretty high closing costs. Best is to find a fellow TUGGER wanting to sell.

That's the spirit. In fact, I would only be willing to pay the price you quoted bidding as your max if a reputable broker is involved. I probably wouldn't bid $1K for the 3,400 points though. To me, that amount of points contract is worth $1, maybe $300 tops to me, because I don't see value in it.

If anybody is willing to pay for 3400, than I say let them have it. 5,000 pts at the rate ROFR is going these days, I wouldn't even go higher than $1500, but that's just me.

When ROFR is being exercised, than my top probably would have been $2500. So, I would say, stick to your original plan, and let him have it.

I don't think you need to open your wallet anymore, unless you are truly anxious at getting HGVC asap for a special occasion, which is what happened to me, so I think I paid $2K more than I normally would have been willing to pay for 7,000 pts contract. And yes, I got HGVC in time, and search diligently enough 3-4 times a day, that I finally got all 7 nights I wanted for HGVC Lagoon Tower for our 10-years anniversary (and my first time to Hawaii) although it ended up being two separate reservations and we changed rooms in the middle of the week.

Good Luck in your search.

Great3

Last edited: