• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SDO resale

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
Hi, I'm needing advice. I'm reading through threads and seeing that people are complaining that Starwood preference seems to be gone in II and bulk deposits have decreased. I'm wondering about instant exchanges with any nice resorts. Are you guys still seeing a nice selection of other resorts besides Starwood? If I purchase a 1 bedroom gold plus at SDO will I see instant exchanges for other nice properties such as at Marriotts or others

I'd like to occasionally be able to grab a 2 bedroom with the SDO 1 bedroom using the last minute instant exchanges. Can anyone tell me how often they see opportunities to exchange up to 2 bedroom at nice resorts (don't have to be on the ocean) using a Gold plus 1 bedroom at SDO? Or will I only see instant exchanges for 2 bedrooms with a plantinum 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom at SDO?

I just don't want the maintenance fees of another timeshare if it will never work out for my needs.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I recently exchanged a SVN week for a 2-bed club intrawest palm desert in December...I think that's a good trade. Lots of availability elsewhere, too.

Sent from my iPad

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just exchanged into Marriott's DSV-l during April (High Season) in Palm Desert. Like everybody else we are waiting for 2015 HI weeks with the rest of my SDO exchanges.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just went and checked and in the limited cases that I looked at, my 1 bed gold+ sees virtually the same units as my 2 bedroom, but I think that's a function of the fact that there's a limited number of 2 bedroom units available on instant exchange.

The main benefit provided by the larger unit would be that you could request a full 2 bedroom unit in an ongoing search. If you need to have a two bedroom unit, this would be important to your success. On an instant search you would probably see more inventory as well, but only if it is available.

That said, I used my large 1 bedroom SDO for a 2 bedroom WKORV in Nov 2013, and another to get a 2 bedroom WPORV in April 2014. Both of these were instant exchanges. This year the bulk deposits have been both late and limited. It's an ever changing landscape.

Last edited:

Okies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge, Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you're flexible, you can get 2 bedrooms at nice places from instant inventory. You have to spend time looking though. Some recent exchages for a 1 Bed SDO lockoff are for:

2 bed Grand Luxxe in Sept
2 bed Welks Escondido in Jan
2 bed Marriott Grand Chateau Feb

Many other 2 bedrooms available at Marriott's in Orlando most of the time, and places like Hilton Head / Myrtle Beach in Nov. You'll have to get lucky to get Orlando 2 bed in the summer, but it happens. Recently had a sightings post for a 2 bed Lakeshore Reserve over July 4th, 2015 using a 1 bed SDO. Wish I could have used it.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just remember a bulk deposit are still the "left overs" of those who requested first during the time period of the bulk deposit. If you are not monitoring the TUG Board 24/7, they get snatched up by Starwood owners pretty quickly

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If I was going to depend on Instant Exchanges, I'd buy a Marriott because of their priority. (I assume Marriott priority still exists..?) They have a lot more units too choose from.

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm hoping to travel May, June or July. Has anyone had much luck on those months? I see lots of shoulder season from the responses I've read. How about actually staying at SDO in May or June, is it too hot by then?

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm hoping to travel May, June or July. Has anyone had much luck on those months? I see lots of shoulder season from the responses I've read. How about actually staying at SDO in May or June, is it too hot by then?

I stayed at WKV in May and it was really too hot...typically 106. I own two 1 bedroom SDOs (giving one away now in bargain deals). I haven't owned them for long. One trade was on OGS for a 2 bedroom @ Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya, another instant search for a 2 bedroom @ Four Seasons Aviara, then I got a 1 bedroom @ Ocean Pointe that I used e+ to upgrade to a 2 bedroom. While I've never gotten a Starwood trade, I've gotten great trades.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Your first post is too generic. If you are hoping to trade SDO 1BR back to SDO 2BR during summer months, it is doable since summer is super hot.

For other resorts, it depends on where. I regularly see most Hyatt resorts when they bulk deposit and to my understanding there is not a separate Hyatt-Hyatt priority. Don't expect to see Hyatt at Carmel though. Starwood only sees Marriott leftovers and I bought Marriott just to be able to trade back into Marriott. I see that you already have Marriott but maybe you are not using them for II trading.

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
Yes, I was planning to use my NCV unit and then trade the Mountainside one or lock out the unit and trade 1/2 and use the other. I own both of those EOY odd years so I have been looking at even year usage at SDO (mostly as a trader but can possibly also use).

I'm mostly interested in SDO due to the cheaper MF, low cost to obtain one, and the Starwood preference along with possible access to other very nice resorts. Due to kids schedule we will only be able to travel late May, June and July the next few years. I worry about picking up a SDO unit and not really enjoy using it with the heat, so I asked fellow Tuggers about the ease of trading and finding other opportunities to use it as a trade during our available months. I'm sure when the kids are gone my husband and I would really love using this unit in the cooler months but I do teach at a University and am restricted on travel to Spring break and then Late April to August. I don't think I'd like going to Arizona with temps at 105 degrees.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you're limited to school holidays, I think buying SDO to use as an exchanger will lead you to be disappointed.

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
Thanks for all the great advice. I will need to keep looking and be happy with just using my Marriott timeshares on Odd years for now. I am thinking if I bank one of my Marriott weeks in Interval on an Odd year then I can use it in an even year.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thanks for all the great advice. I will need to keep looking and be happy with just using my Marriott timeshares on Odd years for now. I am thinking if I bank one of my Marriott weeks in Interval on an Odd year then I can use it in an even year.

Definitely the way to use it. You will need to deposit the larger side to get a 2 bedroom - most of the time. You may be able to uptrade from the Marriott studio to a two bedroom at some of the overbuilt locations in shoulder season. Or you can get nice trades outside of Marriott (bummer to pay the higher exchange fee though). We traded our DSVII studio into a two bedroom at Ridge Tahoe last Thanksgiving and I consider that a great trade. We loved the Ridge and the unit was very spacious and nice. You may be able to uptrade closer to your travel time by using an e-plus (but again more $$). Most of the time your studio will only see one bedroom and studio units at Marriott.