• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you confirm the association name in Scottsdale

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
I am in the process of buying a resale contract in Scottsdale - Kierland and the estoppel has Scottsdale Sonoran Villas Owners Assoc. Is this correct?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Yes, that is correct.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The resort was owned by another company, before Starwood.

phx???

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate your input. I am thinking about selling my 1 bedroom at Kierland. I receive 37,000 star options every year and the annual Maint. fees are $656. Would you give me some insight as to what you paid for your unit?
Thanks.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Would appreciate your input. I am thinking about selling my 1 bedroom at Kierland. I receive 37,000 star options every year and the annual Maint. fees are $656. Would you give me some insight as to what you paid for your unit?
Thanks.

It doesn't matter what you paid for the unit.

I saw one go on eBay for about $600 recently. eBay is the bargain basement. I have also seen them listed on some of the sales sites (Redweek, Myresortnetwork, etc.) for a couple of thousand. The two bedroom during the same season as yours (i.e. your unit plus the large side with 44000 StarOptions) sells for about $4,000.

btw--your maintenance fee is about $525; the remainder is the SVN fee, which although mandatory, is only about $40 if you own another SVN property and free if you own more than two others.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

I saw one go on eBay for about $600 recently. eBay is the bargain basement. I have also seen them listed on some of the sales sites (Redweek, Myresortnetwork, etc.) for a couple of thousand. The two bedroom during the same season as yours (i.e. your unit plus the large side with 44000 StarOptions) sells for about $4,000.

btw--your maintenance fee is about $525; the remainder is the SVN fee, which although mandatory, is only about $40 if you own another SVN property and free if you own more than two others.

Unfortunately - not much. Only Plat season commands a decent selling price.
Peruse the TS resale sites (e.g. RedWeek) for comparable prices.
Tugger glorian keeps a list in excel - not sure if it up to date.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks.

Let's just say, it was a really good deal - a few hundred dollars plus maintenance reimbursement.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Would you say the one on ebay for 600 was a good deal? I see a few on Tug for 3k and they don't seem to be moving. I also checked Redweek and other sites for 2-4k.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Would you say the one on ebay for 600 was a good deal? I see a few on Tug for 3k and they don't seem to be moving. I also checked Redweek and other sites for 2-4k.

I was sorely tempted to bid up to $1,000, but we already have too many timeshares.

My thinking was that a WKV small side one bedroom shoulder season unit would trade in Interval about as well as my one bedroom summer SBP, the MF's were comparable ($525 vs. $545; we own so many SVN units that there is no incremental SVN fee), and if/when Starwood changes the Interval rules again (which I believe it will), I could still use the 37000 StarOptions to get an extra couple of nights tacked onto a Hawaii trip.

But as I said, we have too many timeshares already and the "upgrade" wasn't worth the effort of buying and selling.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was sorely tempted to bid up to $1,000, but we already have too many timeshares.

My thinking was that a WKV small side one bedroom shoulder season unit would trade in Interval about as well as my one bedroom summer SBP, the MF's were comparable ($525 vs. $545; we own so many SVN units that there is no incremental SVN fee), and if/when Starwood changes the Interval rules again (which I believe it will), I could still use the 37000 StarOptions to get an extra couple of nights tacked onto a Hawaii trip.

But as I said, we have too many timeshares already and the "upgrade" wasn't worth the effort of buying and selling.

Thanks for the insight as I'm new to Westin and trying to see how many points I really need to supplement my Hilton and Wydham.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the insight as I'm new to Westin and trying to see how many points I really need to supplement my Hilton and Wydham.

That's the number that gets you a two bedroom unit at Westin's top resorts during high season in Scottsdale, Palm Desert, Maui, and Kauai. (81000 for a one bedroom).

The cheapest way to do that is a two bedroom platinum Kierland unit; that will cost about $18K (MF's = $1,350 + SVN fee). But keep reading and keep asking questions.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That's the number that gets you a two bedroom unit at Westin's top resorts during high season in Scottsdale, Palm Desert, Maui, and Kauai. (81000 for a one bedroom).

The cheapest way to do that is a two bedroom platinum Kierland unit; that will cost about $18K (MF's = $1,350 + SVN fee). But keep reading and keep asking questions.

Thank you. I think 81000 would be okay for me as we rarely travel with other people or family so 1 bedroom will do. But if we need a 2bedroom, I can borrow from another year -right?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There are three 81K WKV 1Bd Plats on RedWeek (sometimes hard to find). Weird, but 2 of these (161K SO) seem to be about the same price as a 2Bd (148.1K SO). Of course the MF will be a bit higher, but can get two 1Bd in HI. I have no desire to have small side (67.1K SO) as we prefer 1Bd.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thank you. I think 81000 would be okay for me as we rarely travel with other people or family so 1 bedroom will do. But if we need a 2bedroom, I can borrow from another year -right?

There are three 81K WKV 1Bd Plats on RedWeek (sometimes hard to find). Weird, but 2 of these (161K SO) seem to be about the same price as a 2Bd (148.1K SO). Of course the MF will be a bit higher, but can get two 1Bd in HI. I have no desire to have small side (67.1K SO) as we prefer 1Bd.

If a one bedroom is sufficient, a large side platinum Kierland is an excellent option. As David suggests, it gets you to Hawaii with reasonable certainty (although not as certain during school vacations and summers) at a reasonable cost. And there's nothing wrong with staying at Kierland. (Full disclosure: we own a large side platinum Kierland.)

You can borrow StarOptions, but only a bit in advance. But you can bank one year's options and use them any time during the next year.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
You can borrow StarOptions, but only a bit in advance. But you can bank one year's options and use them any time during the next year.

What do you mean by "only a bit in advance?"

You can actually use StarOptions from the following year (i.e. 2015) at any time during the current year (i.e. 2014), as long as you pay your estimated maintenance fees for the following year prior to making your reservation. I've done this twice with no issues.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
What do you mean by "only a bit in advance?"

You can actually use StarOptions from the following year (i.e. 2015) at any time during the current year (i.e. 2014), as long as you pay your estimated maintenance fees for the following year prior to making your reservation. I've done this twice with no issues.

I've never done this and my recollection was that it was limited to reservations 60 or 90 days out. Thanks for the correction.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I've never done this and my recollection was that it was limited to reservations 60 or 90 days out. Thanks for the correction.
Ah yes, I forgot about that. There was a rule change that now allows you to borrow StarOptions any time within the 8-month SVN reservation period.

wallace37

Reaction score
If a one bedroom is sufficient, a large side platinum Kierland is an excellent option. As David suggests, it gets you to Hawaii with reasonable certainty (although not as certain during school vacations and summers) at a reasonable cost. And there's nothing wrong with staying at Kierland. (Full disclosure: we own a large side platinum Kierland.)

Do you know how difficult it is to get WKORV in mid-August if it isn't your home resort? I would be looking to book a 1 bdrm for 1 week.

Thanks.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know how difficult it is to get WKORV in mid-August if it isn't your home resort? I would be looking to book a 1 bdrm for 1 week.

Thanks.
Easy. It's summer in the desert.
Book at near 8 month's to be sure.

You may even be able to use II to do an instant 1be to 2be exchange.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Easy. It's summer in the desert.
Book at near 8 month's to be sure.

You may even be able to use II to do an instant 1be to 2be exchange.

You are mixing wkv with wkorv. The question was about getting Maui in mid August not Arizona.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

SMHarman -- WKORV is Hawaii, not desert :D

Aside from the most popular school break and holiday weeks, it's pretty easy to get into the Hawaii resorts at 8 months. That's especially true for a 1 bedroom unit. I would not worry.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mid-August is still part of the summer break/holiday season. You might be able to get into WKORV, if you book exactly 8 months out, but it is not the easiest of trades.

wallace37

Reaction score

Like clotheshorse I only need 81K SO (at least for now). This would be my first timeshare so trying to research options. On myresortnetwork it seems like I can get a 2bd gold plus with 81K SO for about half ($4.5K) the cost of a 1bd platinum with 81K. Are there any advantages for paying the premium for the 1 bd platinum, or am I looking at this wrong? I am hoping to use the points to trade for WKORV. Thank you.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
A couple points for consideration...
The difference in annual MFs
Better season for usage
Better return on rental (this is significant as an option - check out differential between MF and rent)

I would rather purchase a villa in a season that I would prefer to use (or rent) if necessary.
YMMV