• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When should I book my RCI exchange?

kevd

Reaction score
For our trip to Disney World in mid April 2016 (week of 4/16 - 4/23), we are hoping to book a DVC Resort using an RCI exchange but are not counting on it. Our back up plan is any of the following:
  • Bonnet Creek
  • Silver Lake
  • Vacation Village at Parkway

My question is... for the three resorts listed above, when do you think we would need to book these by in order to ensure we'd get a 2BR with a Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun check-in/check-out? The reason I ask is... from what I understand, DVC availability isn't usually released until 4 or 5 months in advance. Would I be safe waiting until 4 months or less to book any of the "backups" I've listed above? Or would these need to booked sooner in order to ensure availability?

Last edited:

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
For our trip to Disney World in mid April 2016 (week of 4/16 - 4/23), we are hoping to book a DVC Resort using an RCI exchange but are not counting on it. Our back up plan is any of the following:
  • Bonnet Creek
  • Silver Lake
  • Vacation Village at Parkway

My question is... for the three resorts listed above, when do you think we would need to book these by in order to ensure we'd get a 2BR with a Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun check-in/check-out? The reason I ask is... from what I understand, DVC availability isn't usually released until 4 or 5 months in advance. Would I be safe waiting until 4 months or less to book any of the "backups" I've listed above? Or would these need to booked sooner in order to ensure availability?

You should be able to wait. WBC is fairly popular, but VV@P and SLR generally have good availability all the time (and might I suggest either of the Sheraton Vistanas or any of the HGVC properties as an upgrade to any of those on your list?)

There are lots of deposits in RCI late December/early January as most MF's come due at the non-Disney resorts, and owners start depositing, making availability pretty good for you at the 3 month mark. I expect no problems getting one of your B list choices.

antjmar

Reaction score
(and might I suggest either of the Sheraton Vistanas or any of the HGVC properties as an upgrade to any of those on your list?)
+1
Im going in March. I am trying to get into Disney also. I own at BC and thats a great choice! But if I dont get Disney, Sheraton Visitana is my second choice followed by HGVC properties. IMO the Sheraton seems better for families with younger children.

kevd

Reaction score
You should be able to wait. WBC is fairly popular, but VV@P and SLR generally have good availability all the time (and might I suggest either of the Sheraton Vistanas or any of the HGVC properties as an upgrade to any of those on your list?)

There are lots of deposits in RCI late December/early January as most MF's come due at the non-Disney resorts, and owners start depositing, making availability pretty good for you at the 3 month mark. I expect no problems getting one of your B list choices.

Thanks! We stayed at Sheraton Vistana once in the past and loved it. The only reason it's was not on our B list is because we were thinking we'd try some place new but now we're thinking we'll throw it back into the mix.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I like to use my RCI trader for Disney resorts as well, but I have a hard time justifying 41 TPUs for a 1 BR at Saratoga Springs when I can get a 2 BR at HGVC Tuscany for only 20 TPUs. The Disney resorts are really expensive. I try to justify it because I never have to drive at Disney, but they charge me a $95 resort fee to cover the transportation on top of everything else. When I go to Disney in the fall for the Food and Wine Festival I'd rather just stay at the Swan and ride the boat to EPCOT.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then I think you have fairly good odds. That's not Easter week, so *something* should turn up. But, the others are likely to be gone in 2BR configurations before then.

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really like Silver lake resort, I never had a problem getting a 2 bdrm, and it is a short drive to Disney through the back road. The TPU's for this resort are normally very low. As someone else said, I can't justifying the large TPU's for Disney.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I like Silver Lake too, Summer Bay Houses are awesome have their own pool!
Orange Lake is nice ( one I own) and all of the DVC resorts are nice. Did not know they charge 95 dollar transportation fee!

kevd

Reaction score
Then I think you have fairly good odds. That's not Easter week, so *something* should turn up. But, the others are likely to be gone in 2BR configurations before then.

Based on what I see on RCI, it looks like DVCs start to pop up about 4 months out. Assuming that's the standard, I might be looking at Dec 2015 before I could book a DVC for April 2016.

So do you think by December there will be no more 2BRs at places like Bonnet Creek, Silver Lake, Sheraton Vistana (in the event a DVC doesn't work out)?

Last edited: