• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Interestingly I also got a private message from a person selling a villa. Didn't expect that. Scam? I saw that her advertisement posts were deleted. But, that week wouldn't work for me ever anyway, so not going to pursue it. Nicely priced though...

Not necessarily. We're not allowed to post ads in the discussion forums, which many newbies don't realize, so it's not surprising or suspicious that it was removed.

When I asked questions re Hilton Hawaiian Village on the Hilton forum, I received a few IMs from owners who wanted me to rent from them. It didn't end up working out (I found a much better rate for OF on Redweek), but them contacting me didn't bother me. In fact, I'd trust a Tugger who's been on the forums for awhile over a Redweek stranger, all other things being equal.

Of course, no matter who you buy (or rent) from (if you do decide to buy), you need to do your due diligence because, as you are well aware, Scammers are everywhere.

jschmeling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. We're not allowed to post ads in the discussion forums, which many newbies don't realize, so it's not surprising or suspicious that it was removed.

When I asked questions re Hilton Hawaiian Village on the Hilton forum, I received a few IMs from owners who wanted me to rent from them. It didn't end up working out (I found a much better rate for OF on Redweek), but them contacting me didn't bother me. In fact, I'd trust a Tugger who's been on the forums for awhile over a Redweek stranger, all other things being equal.

Of course, no matter who you buy (or rent) from (if you do decide to buy), you need to do your due diligence because, as you are well aware, Scammers are everywhere.
Definitely would discuss and consider, and know TUG has a great reputation. (And w/ a law degree and a wife who practices, we're good at the due diligence!) But I think the more I read the more I think I should just stick with redeeming SPG points for the moment. On the other hand, some of the $2,500 studio weeks seem like pretty great deals...

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But I think the more I read the more I think I should just stick with redeeming SPG points for the moment.

I think so, too. I'm sure you've already gotten the SPG AMEX, but I'll mention it in case you don't. It's a great way to earn SPs. And, of course, you should both get one if there's a good signing bonus floating around. Starwood lets you combine points with another member of your household without a fee.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have found that our three bedroom pool villa has been perfect for families with children. We will be leaving tomorrow for our annual vacation which
includes four kids. We bought our unit in 2003 and have experienced so many great family gatherings there with our daughter, son-in-law and grandkids.

A normal day for us is morning walks with kids to the Resort Playground while waiting for late sleep in's. After breakfast we pack a lunch, load the cars and head to a different beach everyday. When we return to the villa the kids hop in the pool, while we clean up and fire up the grill while kicking back with some drinks! It's a relaxing vacation for everyone. If the kids want to hop over to the big resort pool, it's just a short walk and open late to swim.

Occasionally, we will rent our Villa and have St. John withdrawal for a year. :)

AriMorgan

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much do they rent out for? My client has a pool villa that they are no longer using so just wanted to know so I could put in my ad.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
How much do they rent out for? My client has a pool villa...

Depends on the week. Some high season weeks would certainly rent for more than MFs, but summer/fall would be a challenge to break even.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
We finally made it here to St.John. Our first time here. Made the reservation using Staroptions seven weeks ago for 8 days, ( not to brag but to show it is possible).

We came from staying in St thomas with family for a week so we came straight from red hook on the ferry to Cruz bay. Took a taxi and was at the resort by 12:30. Easy.

Our room was ready which was very cool, we booked a two bedroom because that is all that was available but we are in a 3 bedroom. It is big.

Early impressions,,nice lobby, nice staff, room is fine, no real view, bldg. 24. We saw the dock work being done, overall noise not bad, and of course an iguana roaming the pool. Today is our pool day and there are some pool chair hogs, dinner somewhere tonight as we wander through town. Taxi to beach tomorrow and car rental Thursday, renting dingy Friday. That's enough planning for today. We walked to the grocery store though much of the sidewalk in front is being redone. Prices consistent with Carribean islands.

That's it for now and will check back in a few days. Let me know if you have any questions, as this is our first time here we will do,our best to get answers ( we will not do an update since we did one in Hawaii ).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Envious - I am ~45 days away.
Enjoy.

On car day:
Little Lameshur Beach (all the way to end of road)
Shipwreck Landing for food/drinks.
and for true StJ drinking experience - Angels' Rest (bar boat on Coral Bay) if you can find it.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few thoughts from our first trip:
Bring bug spray. I have been bitten like summer camp
Driving on the left side of the road was much easier than I thought
Renting a day car takes some preparation. O'Connor,onsite, had nothing. Concierge made 6 calls to get a car, worked well $79/ day
Concierge also has cruise ship schedule so you can avoid the day trip groups
Lemongrass for dinner last night was ok. Zozos is very good
Road to lamesur was a good tip, but I now can also say I have driven on the moon.
Snorkeling is amazing and it is absolutely beautiful here

Off to Trunk bay

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts from our first trip:
Bring bug spray. I have been bitten like summer camp
Driving on the left side of the road was much easier than I thought
Renting a day car takes some preparation. O'Connor,onsite, had nothing. Concierge made 6 calls to get a car, worked well $79/ day
Concierge also has cruise ship schedule so you can avoid the day trip groups
Lemongrass for dinner last night was ok. Zozos is very good
Road to lamesur was a good tip, but I now can also say I have driven on the moon.
Snorkeling is amazing and it is absolutely beautiful here

Off to Trunk bay

Very nice -- appreciate the first timer point of view. We're 2mos away from our first visit...

Getting a car for a single day is possible then? for some reason I thought it was a 3day min rental (at least from the onsite place) from the info we got from the concierge.

How do you find the acceptance of credit cards? we're trying to figure out how much cash to bring (usually we bring an extremely small amount)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Negma - did you rent 4WD or car? Except for one short part - Road to Lameshur is not so bad. (Try the back side of Maui sometime - now that is like a moon scape)

Added - Road to Lameshur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sviOZLCqdcA
I am going to see the artist in the background sone (Amos Lee) this summer (w/ david Gray) at the Mountail Winery in Saratoga CA - great venue (but costly)

Yes to 1Day car rentals, but may need agency in Cruz Bay.
VISA is excepted - AMEX no so much.
Cash helps for some charters, or at small bars/restaurants (I doubt if CCs are taken at Angels Rest in CB, or One Love on JVD, etc)

Last edited:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We did rent a 4 wheel drive, but we did not expect the road like that.

We did rent in Cruz bay from Denzil jeep. They picked us up at the Westin. We picked the car up at 9:30am and dropped it off at 9 the next day and went to trunk bay from there.

The only thing I can add to David's answer on cash is if you are taking taxi's you need cash. Figure 6-8 dollars per person each way on the island. Also figure in airport transportation on St Thomas. These taxis are not cars BTW. They are open air (yes they have roofs) trucks with 4 rows of bench seating. Think Kilimanjaro Safari in Disney .

Trunk bay is nice beautiful water, but more people, still not cramped. We rented beach chairs for $6 each, they have everything there showers, food, etc ( we brought a cooler). Taxi was easy.

We used the grills at the Westin which appear to be brand new. No problem there. And it looks like they are getting ready to replace all the light standards at the resort over the walkways. We hear some power saws at the pool but nothing terrible.

Last story, we rented a dinghy at the resort. My wife did a great job driving it around to the different beaches. Our goal was to snorkel off the dinghy since there are many places to tie the dinghy to. But we thought we would practice getting in from the water first. Good thing because it was very difficult and would have made for a great video. Yes we could have beached and let one person out but that is not fun. When we returned it the rental guys acknowledged that it is hard and they used to have ladders but they were generally destroyed by the boaters.

Having fun and you will too. Today is a laid back pool day then off to cinnamon beach tomorrow.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We also rented a dinghy in January. It had been on our bucket list for awhile. I found the whole experience to be "meh." Local ordinances allow boaters to beach the dinghy only to load/unload, then you have to move it to a mooring out in the water. This meant a lot of swimming back and forth, and hoisting yourself into the boat from the water -- not an easy feat if you're not in excellent shape and especially if you didn't think to wear your fins.

My husband is in great shape, but it really deterred us from exploring different places because he ran out of energy after the third stop. I'd have helped, but there was no way I was going to be able to hoist my butt into the dinghy without a ladder. I have a hard enough time accomplishing this in a kayak, which is low to the water.

Anyway, I'm glad we did it because we did find a few excellent snorkeling spots that are only available via the water, but it's not an activity that I'd highly recommend.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We come with several couples and rent a private charter to explore snorkel sites in the morning then hit BVI in the afternoon. Our next visit we're thinking of doing 2 charter days we love it so much.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With one day left a few random thoughts:
There was no welcome note from the GM. This is the only resort where that has ever happened. No big deal but we noticed.

Staff quality is very inconsistent. We have been at 5 westins over the last 6 months and overall they would be last. Some very good, some very bad.

There are pay per view movies in the room. I like it even though they were $20 each. There are adult titles too so make sure you censor to your tastes

We actually ordered room service for the first time ever, I know I know, but there was no energy to do anything, too much rum. Service was very good.

Cinnamon bay was very nice and overall we have had a great time. One more day to goooooooooooo.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
room is fine, no real view, bldg. 24.

I thought everything faced towards the water and it's all on a slope so you're not facing directly in to the backside of another building?

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are on the first floor. All you see is vegetation and sky

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
With one day left a few random thoughts:
There was no welcome note from the GM. This is the only resort where that has ever happened. No big deal but we noticed.

We usually receive a bucket of beers from St John Brewers with a note from GM:ponder:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
We usually receive a bucket of beers from St John Brewers with a note from GM:ponder:
That's exactly what we received last month when we walked into our pool villa. It was our first stay as Elite and I thought it was a nice touch.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
A welcome note is expected from GM based on a HomeResort or SVN exchange…? seriously? because you are 5* or PFL?
I don't know what to say… :ignore:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
A welcome note is expected from GM based on a HomeResort or SVN exchange…? seriously? because you are 5* or PFL?
I don't know what to say… :ignore:
Nobody said it was expected. I commented that we thought it was "a nice touch" and Negma stated that its absence was "no big deal but we noticed." It's amazing how that $20 bucket of beer takes the sting out of the timeshare purchase, isn't it? :)

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a bottle of rum (Cruzan?) to go with the letter. It was actually pretty decent.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now I am upset, RUM!!!!

Kidding kidding kidding

As I said before no biggie

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
What to expect?

So...who do you have to be to get the bucket of beer/rum? We have been to WSJ 3 times and have never received anything.

We were silver elite on our last stay, undocumented aliens (apparently) on our first 2 stays, though owners. Going back again in oct 2016. What should we expect?

jschmeling

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have usually received a note from GM's wherever I check in (100+ night platinum) but here no note or welcome amenity. We're on our third day, in the lower Villa Grande apartments, but moved into a one bedroom, 2 bath second floor instead of the studio, 1 bath we reserved. No view but trees, but no worries. We don't stay in the room anyway. The trip to Jost Van Dyke was great except for getting stung like crazy at the snorkeling stop. And, the sunscreen gave out way too early - burned, burned, burned.

Awesome people on the trips, in the pool, in the hot tub, and love the interactions with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.